Stargate and Battlestar Galactica, worth getting into?

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Omegashark18, Nov 28, 2019.

1. Omegashark18

Omegashark18 Combaticon turned Autobot

News Credits:
    These are sci-fI franchises I’ve heard a lot about in passing, one is a long running one that started with a movie, then a follow up tv show followed by two TV movies and the third one has long since stalled.

And the other seems to be all over the place with many iterations.

How good are these shows/movies and are the franchises well worth getting into?

2. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Stargate was pretty good and if you are watching SG1 and Atlantis worth watching, though some of the other series after aren't finished or don't hold up. If you like Farscape in the later season much of that cast shows up. And Atlantis gets more fun when Jason Moma (Ronin Dax) becomes a cast member.

Battlestar is good, but some people debate about the modern one's ending. But you will get really into the first few seasons before that happens.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Omegashark18

News Credits:
    If anything I’ll just watch the main SG1 series and ignore the spin offs. And one of the movies serves as a conclusion to an arc, so maybe I’ll just watch that one.

I did a little digging and yeah, the conclusion to the modern Battlestar seems to be quite mixed.

4. Rusty24

Rusty24 Well-Known Member

I loved SG1 and Atlantis. Universe tried to be too much like the new Battlestar Galactica; which I never liked all that much to begin with

• Like Like x 2
  5. Sparky Prime

Sparky Prime Well-Known Member

I'd highly recommend Stargate. SG1 and Atlantis are both great series. Universe... is completely different in tone and is slow to get going, but it really gets interesting with season 2. I really wish it hadn't been canceled so early, I'd have loved to have seen what they could have done with it.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Omegashark18

News Credits:
    So what’s Stargate like tone wise? Visual effects, violence and all that jazz?

7. DrTraveler

DrTraveler Wheeljack, Wheeljack, Wheeljack

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Stargate is good fun. It’s a military adventure show. If you go in with reasonable expectations you’ll have fun. the spin offs are mixed bags.

Battlestar Galactica (2005) May be my favorite TV show ever. The first season and the first half of season two may be the finest hours of TV ever. In the back half of season 2.5 you get some of the weakest episodes of show, but season 2 finishes strong and gives us the New Caprica arc at the start of season 3. The show has a jump the shark moment with my favorite episode “Exodus” that hits a high point the show struggles to ever reach again. The rest of season 3 kinda slows down, but it gets back up to speed and finishes mostly strong in season 4.

A word on the finale: it’s a three hour finale. Hours 1 and 2 get back up to the show’s original quality. Hour three is controversial. I’ve come to the view that it’s a good finale, but it definitely wasn’t what I expected.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Metroplex79

Metroplex79 Hey mouse, say cheese!

Personal Opinion:

I love Stargate-SG1. The first couple of seasons are "weak" like most TV shows, but they do well enough to get you into the "universe", the "rules" of said universe, and of course the characters. The progression of story all the way to the end is fun. Likewise, Atlantis also needed two seasons to get going...though for some people, they might say they were fully into it after Season 1. Richard Dean Anderson = gold. These 2 series has fantastic female characters. Thus the eye-rolls when we see what we have today. Lastly, you're only as good as your villains. I'll leave it at that without going into spoilers.

If you did the whole Buffy and Angel-verse, Stargate-verse is just like it. It started off with a "lame" movie, the TV series "continues" in-universe a few years later with a new cast. After some adventures, it spawns a spin-off where plots are happening concurrently, and familiar characters appear as guest stars on the other show.

I couldn't get into the modern Battlestar Galactica...so no opinion.

• Like Like x 4
  9. Rusty24

Rusty24 Well-Known Member

It’s doesn’t get too heavy or full of itself thanks to comedy like O’Neill’s constant sarcasm. At the same time though, they don’t go overboard to the point where it becomes more like Men In Black.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Omegashark18

News Credits:
    And how’s the movie that kicked the whole thing off? I know that starred Kurt Russell and James Spader and they were subsequently recast in the TV shows.

11. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

The original Stargate movie is a solid 90s style SF movie, thought it was a bit better then I remembered when I rewatched a while ago. I liked SG-1 but it definitely overstayed it's welcome and I never made it past the first season of Atlantis because I was kind of over it at that point.

BSG05 is top tier television for the first 2 and a half seasons and is downhill from there, but never gets actually bad despite what the internet might have you believe. Original BSG is pretty much the 70s in space, so milage will vary depending on how much you might enjoy that.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Omegashark18

News Credits:
    Just another franchise I’ve heard about in passing but never cared for. I’m more of Supernatural guy, as hypocritical as that sounds.

13. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Buffy has a solid first 3 seasons, then can vary after that. But is usually good over bad.

14. jackisking

jackisking Yeah, the MP line is soooo dead

News Credits:
    Much as I love Ben Browder and Claudia Black in Farscape, it just wasn't the same show after Anderson. Not knocking them but the original SG-1 crew had really good chemistry together. Just like they had really good chemistry on Farscape.

15. HunterGreen2005

HunterGreen2005 In stock

News Credits:
    Battlestar is great. Give that a try.

Did you ever get into Firefly? That is an awesome series it ended before it's time. It's a quick watch with only one season and a film.

I could never get into Stargate.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2019
  16. Omegashark18

News Credits:
    Heard all about it. One season and a movie. Had a lot of big name actors. And it was made by Joss Weadon before his turn in Avengers.

• Like Like x 1
  17. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

Tone is here and there in the first season. As the producers were in a struggle with Showtime over what kind of show it would be. There's even an boobs and swearing R-rated cut of the pilot. After it moved to Sifi the tone lightens a lot.

Now as for Atlantis. It's first season is also bumpy, then along comes Ronan Dex.

18. Omegashark18

News Credits:
    How light we talking?

19. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

Like 25%. RDA being made a producer happened around then to keep him around so he had a say in scripting.

20. Omegashark18

News Credits:
    So was that a good thing or a bad thing?