Star Wars: Rebels

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Gridlock1987, May 20, 2013.

1. jala12

jala12 Fiery Adventurer

A nitpick on my part but it appears the artist of that comic did not do their research. The Grand Inquisitor's species has sharp teeth, not normal human teeth.

2. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

Actually the prop teeth you see in EP III was just uppers. The bottoms were regular human teeth. The rebels artist copied that.

3. jala12

jala12 Fiery Adventurer

Ah yes, I meant to say upper row of teeth. But they don't look like how they're supposed to based on those comic panels.

4. Wrecker217

Wrecker217 There's a 50 character limit to titles. Now you kn

News Credits:
    yeah.... the artist isn't too good.
    It's a trap that has killed half-trained Jedi in the past.
    Per my other comment, that isn't the Grand Inquisitor's spirit in the Lothal Temple. That's Yoda taking on the guise of him to do a complicated lesson and formally knight him. The only ones who truly became Force Ghosts were Anakin, Obi-Wan, Yoda, Luke, and Leia.
    Obi-Wan didn't kill Vader because that was something only Luke can do, stating in ESB that he won't give any assistance before Luke went to Cloud City. Also, in ROTJ Obi-Wan's ghost pushes aside a bunch of vines before taking a seat. In the sequels, Last Jedi expanded on that by having Yoda bonk Luke on the head with his cane and Rise of Skywalker had Luke also sit down after catching his lightsaber.
    Charles Soule has written in his previous Star Wars arcs about the mask of Momin, a rogue Sith whose experiments with Sith Alchemy led to his soul being ripped from his body and bound to a mask that, when worn, allows him to possess the wearer. Dude really likes exploring the Sith's attempts to prolonging their existence. Read up his Lando miniseries and the Vader 2017 run.

As Sith are obsessed with extension of life, not preserving themselves as spirits in death, in the absence of any lore I'm going out on a limb and speculating this is a crude, twisted version of whatever technique Sidious learned for keeping someone alive. If Vader learned this would be how he'd save Padme, he wouldn't want her to have this painful existence. The fact, the Inquisitor's apparition was burning, harking back to his actual death, so I'm guessing his appearance to Luke was tied to his final moments. He's not dead, but he's not living. The dark side is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural. Until we get more, this handwave explanation will have to suffice.

Also, in an unintentional parallel, Grand Inquisitor suffers a similar fate to Admiral Zhao, another character played by his voice actor Jason Issacs https://twitter.com/CharlesSoule/status/1306406414756311040

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  5. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

Not many comic artist can get more than "kinda looks like them" when replicating real people. Drops a lot if you're looking at a tie in comic where they've got to do it a hundred times an issue. Some times they may consistently nail one person and botch another.

6. Zeta Otaku

Zeta Otaku Who ya gonna call? TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ... or they're complete hacks and trace pictures of real people to get that super realistic look but never stay consistent on the real person they trace so every character is just MORPHING every panel... (mainly calling out the hack who penciled for the Ultimate Fantastic Four and other comics...)

7. Wrecker217

Wrecker217 There's a 50 character limit to titles. Now you kn

News Credits:
    you don't want to read the 2015 run of Marvel's Star Wars then.

8. power3921

power3921 Well-Known Member

Finished watching Rebels the day The Mandalorian season 2 premiered. I'd intended to get caught up on Clone Wars, Rebels, and rewatch Mando season 1 all before October 30th, but unfortunately school got in the way. Almost made it though.

So Rebels, like Clone Wars, starts off just kind of alright. While Rebels is more consistent in tone and quality than early Clone Wars, it's also not as good, at least at first. Season One was pretty meh. The story and characters were uninteresting, especially compared to the later Clone Wars seasons. Only character I really liked was Hera, though Kanan and Chopper were alright. And while I don't think darkness is required for a good story, Rebels felt too light hearted for a story about the early days of the Rebellion. Oh, and the Grand Inquisitor was a massive disappointment who never seemed to accomplish anything and died in an almost comedic way. I at least liked Lando's episode, bringing back Billy Dee Williams for the role was great. The season ended with a bit of promise though, reintroducing Ahsoka.

Who then did nothing for most of season Two. I loved Rex becoming an active part of the Ghost crew after his return, I have no complaints about him, but Ahsoka only left the base two or three times. It was disappointing. The new Inquisitors, the Seventh Sister and Fourth Brother, (or whatever the hell their numbers were, they never explained what the numbers meant) were a bit less over the top than the Grand Inquisitor, making them feel a bit more serious, but they were had absolutely no character outside of being evil. The space whale episode was this season also, and that one was one of the worst in the series, and I'm almost annoyed that it turns out to be important later and you can't just skip it. I will say a couple good things about the season though. Leia was another fun Original Trilogy character to feature. Bringing back Hondo Ohnaka was a fantastic decision, he was one of the best parts of the Clone Wars, and he was just as much of a lovable scoundrel as ever in Rebels. The second thing I'll complement was the finale. Making Malachor from KotOR II canon, and quite influenced by the game was a wonderful move, and the return of the Clone Wars' other greatest character achievement besides Ahsoka, Maul, was a great move too. Maul also felt like a smooth continuation of his character from Clone Wars, both the subtle schemer and the brutal warrior. And that confrontation between Vader and Ahsoka, master and apprentice, was beautiful and brutal. One of the best moments of the show.

Season three is where Rebels started to get good in ways that didn't rely on the Clone Wars. Canonizing another iconic thing from Legends, Grand Admiral Thrawn, was brilliant, and outside of one thing in the season finale, he felt true to his original character. He felt like a legitimate threat, like someone who was always a step ahead of our heroes. For the first time in the series, he (albeit indirectly) killed a recurring heroic character. He came closer than anyone in the show prior to completely destroying the Rebels, and likely would have if it were not for Konstantine's insubordination and the Bendu, which he had no way of knowing about. The only stupid thing he did was keep Kallus alive after he was no longer useful. Speaking of the Bendu, I can't believe they brought Tom Baker into Star Wars. It took me a minute to place his voice when I heard it, I knew I recognized it, I knew it was someone iconic, but I didn't expect the Doctor! By the way, what ever happened to the Bendu? He never appeared again in season 4. More good stuff about season 3, the return of Saw Gerrera from Clone Wars, now tying in with Rogue One. The return of the Dark Saber and the Mandalore arc of the Clone Wars, continuing into season 4. The final duel between Maul and Obi-Wan, and Maul's strangely sad final death. Sato's sacrifice, pulling off a similar move to Holdo from The Last Jedi but it a way that doesn't break the lore. The guard droids/Thrawns trainong drouds that were a clear refecne to the Dark Troopers from the classic game Dark Forces. Overall, not a bad season.

Season Four I thought was on par with the better early Clone Wars seasons, like 2 and 3. The plot finally moved from being mostly episodic like the first three seasons into being more of an ongoing, serialized thing, like Clone Wars, beginning with the Mandalore two parter and the Saw Gerrera two parter, and the rest of the season all being one episode flowing into the next. Ezra and Sabine started to really mature, and become actually pretty likable characters. Kanan's death and sacrifice was extremely well done. I loved the return of Bo-Katan, and am eagerly awaiting some reference to what happened to her later in The Mandalorian. The Mortis arc turning out to actually be important was a pleasant surprise, and the world between worlds was a fascinating addition to Star Wars lore. I'm very happy that they brought Ahsoka back, even if she didn't play a role in the finale. I wish Thrawn had played a bigger role this season, being away at Coruscant for about half of it, but canonizing Rukh and having him be a recuing threat was fun. Disappointed they canonized a character as interesting as Pellaeon only to give him all of one line and kill him off screen though. The ending was great though, I'm happy Thrawn survived, leaving room to use his character again in the future. I have no idea why Ezra went into a self imposed exile though, other than for there to be a reason why he wasn't around during the OT. There's one thing I still haven't addressed about the season still, and that's because I'm still not sure how I feel about it. Magical wolves who can talk a bit sometimes. Sure, technically they're force sensitive, not magical, but opening up a teleportation tunnel across a planet is a whole new level of what the force can do. Force choke or force push is one thing, but force time and relative dimensions in space is another. And it being wolves of all thing, the most stereotypical "cool" animal, barely looking different from earth wolves outside of being bigger, I hate to say it but it almost felt a concept out of a bad fanfic. Though if being a wolfaboo is Filoni's greatest sin, the rest of what he's done makes up for it.

Wow, I wrote way more than I originally planned. Ended up with a little essay there. I guess it's a compliment to Rebels then, I certainly had a lot of thoughts about it, even if they weren't all good!

• Like Like x 6
  9. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    I think one of the best things about Rebels was how every one of the main characters were developed across the entire series. They were all compelling and we learned so much about them, something that many shows skip out on at times. Every one of the Ghost crew got several moments to shine to please everyone. Even the villains got a lot of great development, which is something many cartoons these days seems to lack. I must admit though, after hearing years about how incredible Thrawn was, I was left quite underwhelmed by him until the tail end of the series when he actually started to actually do something. He was such a monotonous character with a boring voice and not anywhere near as cool as the Inquisitors were. I did love how they brought in Tarkin and Vader from time to time along with other characters. I will say that I did feel like the final season meandered around a little bit before things started to get moving. Oh, and Chopper is one of my favorite droids in the franchise now. He's right up there with K2 from Rogue One.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Chopperface

Chopperface Chadwick Forever

News Credits:
    @power3921 Glad you liked it!

To clarify, Filoni said Pellaeon also likely survived the finale along with Ezra and Thrawn. And the wolves were accessing the World Between Worlds whenever they jumped across Lothal. It’s not necessarily a new Force ability, like I don’t think you’d see Rey or Luke or Ahsoka learn how to do it, and I don’t think it quite addresses your complaints, but just reporting what was going on.

• Like Like x 3
  11. SharkyMcShark

SharkyMcShark Hi. I'm better than you

News Credits:
    I think in balance I enjoyed it more than The Clone Wars.

I like the era more, I liked the focus more (as opposed to the anthology nature of TCW), and I liked the vibe more - it was sort a baby's first Firefly almost.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It was also good in that you don't know the fate of the characters. In CW, you already knew how most of them ended up. Rebels were blank slates that didn't appear in any film so there were no guarantees they would survive to the end.

And how many us got so excited to see elements of Rebels appear in Rogue One? Seeing the Ghost, Chopper, and Hera being called on the intercom. I know I sure got excited seeing Chopper roll past in the background.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Chopperface

Chopperface Chadwick Forever

News Credits:
    Exactly. The only ones we ever got concrete info that they’d survive the series were Hera, Chopper, and Sabine. The former two got namedropped and cameoed in Rogue One which came during Season 3, and Sabine showed up in a Forces of Destiny short set after ANH I think.

14. OptionZero

OptionZero Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Filoni has reminded us of what we were told about the force way back in the OT;

Obiwon:

it is an energy created by ALL LIVING THINGS- it surrounds us and penetrates us, and binds the galaxy together

Yoda:

Size matters not. Judge me by my size, do you? As well you should not, for my ally is the Force, and a powerful ally it is.

Life creates it, makes it grow. Its energy surrounds us, it binds us. Luminous being are we, not this crude flesh.

You must feel the Force around you. You, me, the tree, the rock. everywhere. Yes, even between the land and the ship.

I understand force sensitive wolves and time-traveling ports may jar at first, but when you think about how Obiwon and Yoda describe the Force, these things are completely and utterly true to earliest explanations of what The Force is.

yoda said even the freakin tree and the rock are bound by the force, it should shock no one that a wolf, a living thing, is also connected

• Like Like x 4