Star Wars: Rebels

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Gridlock1987, May 20, 2013.

1. JokerFC

JokerFC Gaelic Hardcase

Ebay:

Same here!!

2. MetalicGrunt

MetalicGrunt Rust Proof Commando

News Credits:
  3. Max Rawhide

Max Rawhide Rollin' Rollin' Rollin' ... uh, never mind

Absolutely true. However, we can make a prediction. As said, Ben fights like an elderly Kendo master: defensive and holding the centre, a method that takes very little energy and which punishes any mistake the attacker makes. (Old Kendo masters fighting in this style, almost always win.) Vader in the OT is shown to have a style that can't deal with this kind of fighting style. Vader has a style with big shoulder slashes based on power and less on finesse. Patience, control and finesse are needed to have a chance to break through Kenobi's style and Vader lacks them all (although the Bespin duel shows that with some effort he can use them, but that was against an untrained boy).

Luke didn't win because of his speed, but of his agression. You counter this by moving a little bit faster. By making quick movements, sidestepping an attack and deflecting the attack with quick wrist movements, and Vader can't do that because of his suit. Vader has a lot of physical strength, a lot more than Anakin, but he lacks agility and speed due to his injuries (artifical limbs) and the restriction of his armoured suit (medieval knights aren't known for their fast movements).

I often compare Dooku's style to fencing: single handed with short, quick cuts and stabs. Kenobi's style is more akin to Kendo: two-handed, holding the centre and makes every defense/block the base for a counter strike. Anakin and especially Vader remind me of the fighting style of the medieval knights: big slashes with a lot of power behind them, but very little finesse -- a medieval swordfight was meant to injure and wear your opponent down and like the medieval knights, Vader depends on his armour for protection while it also limits his mobitlity.

Fencing beats Kendo, while Kendo beats Medieval sword fighting.

Hmm, I disagree partly. Vader didn't want to kill Luke because he wanted Luke to join the Dark Side and eventually overthrow the Emperor together. This was a safe approach in ESB. However, in RotJ the Emperor was present and if Luke escaped or refused to join, then Vader would be forced to kill Luke, or risk his own death at the hands of the Emperor. The novelisation also makes this clear. Vader did save Luke, but that was after the fight and signified his return to the light. During the fight he's Vader, when he saves Luke he's Anakin again.

Definitely agreed with the latter. Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if her skills had lessened. During the Clone Wars she trained regurlarly and was in combat many times. Now on the run, she won't be able to use her lightsabers as much and thus perhaps isn't up to the same level.

But I don't see Vader as that much more experienced due to 15 years of Jedi hunting. Simply because I doubt that he's that capable of taking out a fully trained Jedi on his own. After Stormtroopers (and inquisitors) have softened them up, perhaps. I also doubt if Sidious trained him to any extend.

I can see Vader taking advantage of force pushes, the defense of his armour and the lack of precision from the Stormtroopers being able to take out several. But not too many. It definitely would've been a more difficult fight for him than before his injuries. And again, Jedi Masters were killed by half a dozen Clone Troopers and Vader is far less agile.

I think it should be. At least for the material prior to the sale. This was Lucas his intent and he wrote SW this way. Anakin in RotS clearly has short term plans to overthrow the Emperor, but twenty years later is still his lapdog and hopes to have Luke at his side and defeat the Emperor together. Lucas also authorised and approved a novel in which it is explained that Vader because of his armour and his injuries is no longer able to take on and defeat the Emperor. Thus Vader being a cripple and a mere shadow of the fighter/Jedi he once was, was the intent of the creator.

Now that he's sold it other can of course do what they want. And they will. And to some extend they will go against the intent of the creator and this is their right. Lucas made clear in an interview that Disney had no interest in any of his ideas and plans, so I am hesitant to what level they will honour his intent.

Vader definitely has advantages on his side: his physical strength, his armour defending against quick strikes and his connection to the force (which although thoroughly less than Anakin's, still would be at the level of an average Jedi). And yes, if he has the chance to concentrate and step back from the fight, then he's dangerous. If, however, Ahsoka attack full on, with both lightsabers slashing, Vader would be put on the defensive and he shouldn't be able to counter the attacks quickly enough. Ahsoka could then injure him which would slow him down more.

But we know Ahsoka can't win. Vader survives to live in the OT and Luke had no training between his one day meeting with Kenobi and the few weeks he spend on Dagobah three years later. Meaning he can't have met Ahsoka or Kanan....

I don't really see this big discrepancy between the OT and PT, as far as the Jedi abilities go. In the OT we never saw the full abilities of the Jedi, because the two survivors were old and not very active. But Luke as a barely trained Jedi managed to fight off Jabba's thugs almost single handedly. Even in the OT there is thus signs that a Jedi reaches levels of superheroics, something that the PT and CW show with fully trained Jedi.

(In a way I was a bit disappointed by the absence of new Jedi abilities in the PT. Everything we see them do, we had already seen in the OT. The only new power is superspeed, which was rarely used. Considering that Luke received very little training -- about one day with Kenobi and a few weeks with Yoda -- and still mastered every ability, one wonders why the Jedi of old we trained for some twenty odd years. I had hoped to see some of the abilities from the EU: healing meditation, battle meditation, illusions and the very relevant destruction of droids through the force from the Tales of the Jedi saga.)

I stay away from Games of Thrones as far as I possibly can, so I'll take your word for it ;) 

Ah, but of course.

4. Blitz Wing

Blitz Wing Triple Threat

A little late, but I loved last week's episode. The friendship between Chopper and AP-5 was great, AP-5 was a perfect foil for Chopper, reminiscent of R2 and C-3PO, but unique enough to be their own thing.

Also loved the tribute to Rickman's voice, it reminded me of some old Clone Wars episodes where single episode characters had "celebrity" voices.

I would love to see AP-5 join the team.

5. soundwaverulls

soundwaverulls Taking a break

@Max Rawhide. I was hoping that I'd find the energy to continue this discussion but I really don't have it, so if you haven't already guessed, I'm giving in.

As for the the Mystery of Chopper Base, I really enjoyed it, even though there wasn't much of a mystery. This was a really good "calm before the storm" sort of story, only without the calm. A lot of build-up for the final two episodes of the season, with no Imperials as the rebels build up a base, and Ezra and Kanan prepare to leave.

I was pleasantly surprised that the episode dealt with Hera's feelings on Kanan and Ezra leaving. All of her pouting didn't really amount to anything, but it seemed natural, almost like this needed to be the character's reaction. It's just a pity they had to reveal that Kanan hadn't been ignoring her feelings due to not knowing how to deal with the situation, but because he didn't even see it. "Hurr, hurr, man r blind to womonz feelz" is a cliche I'm sick of. In fact, it's so ancient that it long predates the internet spelling I for some reason wrote it in.

The action was pretty enjoyable, however I can't really remember anything worth commenting on. I did like seeing more of Rex in action. I'd have been as freaked out as Zeb was, if I had to fight giant spider things. Speaking of Zeb, it was weird that he kept calling those small creatures bogans. I wonder if the writers are aware that's a thing in Australia. It is a mild insult (I think) so it works here. It's just weird hearing it in Star Wars.

Overall, this was a good episode. I look forwards to what the final two episodes have in store. I will predict that
    Darth Maul
    isn't going to do much. I'm betting he'll just appear at the end for a cliffhanger.

6. ABrown

ABrown Well-Known Member

That's what I'm hoping for. I want those final two episodes to be about Vader and Ahsoka. There's plenty of time for him next season.

7. MetalicGrunt

MetalicGrunt Rust Proof Commando

News Credits:
    What if Maul ends up saving Ahsoka, or turns the tide in order for the crew to escape. Maul may be a dark side user, but he'll more than likely want revenge on palpatine, and what better way to do that than to stop Vader ( if possible)

8. AutoBobby

AutoBobby The Collector

Finally got around to watching last week's episode. Now I know why I wasn't in a hurry to watch it. Yawn.

9. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    I loved that there was some emotional weight, but I agree, it would've been a lot better had Kanan just not known how to handle Hera rather than real ignorance.

Actually, I'm thinking based on a synopsis that I saw that he will actually have a larger part in the episode.

10. bobbyjack

bobbyjack Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Not sure what people didn't like about last week's episode but I enjoyed the Chopper story.

11. Chopperface

Chopperface Chadwick Forever

News Credits:
    Really intriguing calm before the storm episode. From Ezra hanging with Zeb to Hera being pouty. Also yay, Rex! I actually felt bad about that one rebel girl who never came back. :( 

The ending was really, really mysterious. Imperial March kept playing, even as Ezra looked up at the owl. Hmm. Lots of Hmm.

Also, Kanan and Hera's embrace at the end was too familiar to another hug in Force Awakens to make me feel comfortable. Hmm.

Preview for next week has Rex telling Ahsoka "in my book, experience outranks everything", his first real line to her. And then "May the force be with you." Very uncomfortable. But man, Dee nailed that classic line.

12. bobbyjack

bobbyjack Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Cool that we got to see the Spiders from the Dagobah concept art

13. Switch625

Switch625 "Up, up, and away!"

Fun little episode, but man oh man was it full of foreshadowing! Next week is not going to end well for Ahsoka, Kanan, and Ezra.

14. jala12

jala12 Fiery Adventurer

Redshirts seem to be made to suffer. It's their lot in life...

15. JokerFC

JokerFC Gaelic Hardcase

Ebay:
    oh its building......no doubt about it.

16. Chopperface

News Credits:
    Yeah. I think I felt bad because the girl sounded like Rey. >_>

17. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
  18. Chopperface

News Credits:
    Oh shit was
    Vader Vs. Maul
    confirmed?

As usual they don't seem capable of not spoiling stuff. Vader's return, Hondo's return, Yoda, Lando, everything is spoiled. I know they want to create buzz but man, a surprise appearance like Lando's cameo in Siege of Lothal sure would be nice.

19. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
  20. Rusty24

Rusty24 Well-Known Member

This was a much better episode than last week's not so good Chopper episode. For one, the spiders (or insects since they technically had six legs) were actually a little creepy even though it's an animated show (granted, I really hate spiders). I liked the foreshadowing in this episode, and there was too much of it to list with the time I currently to write this. Zeb had some really funny moments this week with his arachnophobia and the part where he hit Ezra with his barely working flashlight after Ezra pulled out his lightsaber. It's going to be a little weird next week without most the Ghost crew in the season finale.

On a side note, they weren't kidding when they said that the midseason trailer might contain spoilers, but I didn't think most of that would just be the final episode of the season though.