Star Wars: Rebels

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Gridlock1987, May 20, 2013.

1. JokerFC

JokerFC Gaelic Hardcase

Ebay:
    They do? LOL. I haven't seen any of the new Lego show....I must give it a shot.

2. Metroplex79

Metroplex79 Hey mouse, say cheese!

The Lego Star Wars show is fun, the next one should be more of the same.

I'm sure it can be like its own universe. The movie/cartoon universe, and the Lego universe.

The mini-series I watched was almost like a Beast Wars series to G1, it's filled with slapstick humor, visual gags, and continuity. Obviously, it's a bigger toy commercial than Rebels.

3. ABrown

ABrown Well-Known Member

I really liked "The Honorable Ones". It was a nice character episode for Agent Kallus.

4. Rusty24

Rusty24 Well-Known Member

That might have been one of the best episodes of the series so far. The story itself is a bit of a cliche episode for a cartoon, but they actually did a great job with it. For one, they actually used the situation Kallus and Zeb were in to give them some character development. They both find something they can relate to in the other since they are both warriors with different attitudes. I think one of the best moments was Zeb offering his weapon to Kallus because he respects the fact that Kallus bested him. However, Kallus turned it down because he was just doing what he thought was his duty. That really says a lot about both of them. Up until now, Kallus has been the closest thing this show had to an 80's cartoon villain because he is the villain they face the most and the one they end up humiliating the most. The final shots were great too because Kallus actually changed due to the events in this episode. It's clear that he is now rethinking everything, and that he found camaraderie in Zeb that the Empire lacks.

5. Autoboticon

Autoboticon In like a Bot, out like a Con

This was a much needed episode.

The story about Kallus's bo-rifle, the insights from the Battle of Lasat, Kallus evolving and becoming aware of Empire's goals, I mean the look on his face when he greets Constatine, the face shows that he's realizing he doesn't matter, he doesn't have friends, not like how the Rebels greeted Zeb.

FUCKING GREAT!

Honestly one of the best episodes this season and very much on Clone Wars level.

Also, anyone else extremely creeped out when it was stated there was no life signals on Geonosis? I was, for the exact reason Rex said, that there were billions of them, so many and now all gone.

Chopper also kicked some much needed ass.

6. jala12

jala12 Fiery Adventurer

This will apparently by explored further later in the series. As for the population itself,
    those who read the new Vader comics know that the Empire developed some sort of weapon that completely sterilized the Geonosian race. Only a single queen remains, and she is unable to produce offspring anymore.

7. Autoboticon

Autoboticon In like a Bot, out like a Con

Interesting.

8. Galvatross

Galvatross Put down the kool-aid Veteran

I agree. I really thought the last two episodes were great. I also echo statements that the apparent fate of Geonosis was really chilling.

9. soundwaverulls

soundwaverulls Taking a break

This was both the best and worst episode for Agent Kallus. The episode developed his character a lot and it was cool seeing him and Zeb working together towards the end. However, it also turned him into a whiny bitch. Seeing him freak out when Zeb walked a few steps away from him was sad.

It's weird how, in nearly two full seasons, they've done next to nothing with Kallus, until now, where they're beginning to develop him into a good guy. And when I say done next to nothing, I don't mean in terms of giving him depth. I mean that he feels like a minor character who they rarely use. It really seems there was meant to be some rivalry between him and Zeb that never played out.

Zeb himself has been handled in a similar fashion. While he's an actual main character, they set him up with a tragic backstory that rarely got touched upon, until Legends of Lasat undid it, revealing he's not the last of his kind. For most of the show's run, this tragic character was just the goofy tough guy (not that he wasn't entertaining).

Anyway, this episode specifically was enjoyable. I always like seeing heroes and villain get forced into working together.

10. Chopperface

Chopperface Chadwick Forever

News Credits:
    I never expected we'd get a Kallus episode, let alone a Zeb and Kallus episode. But damn if this wasn't one of the best episodes of the series. If every Zeb episode is this good, then they should make the series about Zeb.

Kallus has been the most malicious Imperial we've seen besides the batshit crazy Seventh Sister. And he's been the most despicable one as well. But while he's shown some signs of humanity (horror at watching Tarkin execute those guys, be the big boy and unite the squabbling Imperials), I wasn't expecting him to be a "nothing personal" kind of guy.

I know he and Zeb had beef since Kallus boasted about helping massacre the Lasats, but I like that it never ran that deep - or at least stopped running that deep considering Zeb recently got the burden of being the last Lasat lifted from him in the best way possible. If they had always chosen each other to fight or something and their rivalry was much more intense, I wouldn't have bought this episode. And it was also helped by the fact that Kallus owned up that he was just boasting.

A really interesting development for Kallus was that he had no hope. Zeb always has faith in his family and knows they'll go through hell to help him - they already did earlier this season. Kallus can't say the same thing. The Empire will only come for him because he's a competent soldier at the best. But when Kallus was away from his support system, he gave up. Which made it all the more moving when he got back and Konstantine wasn't interested in his return at all (previously I thought they had more of a friendship but I was clearly wrong), and the Inquisitors certainly weren't either. Kallus realized that the Empire may be the winning side, but it wasn't a big happy family like the Rebels.

His interaction with Zeb really made him realize he wanted that kind of camaraderie if nothing else. He saw how happy the Ghost crew were to see him. How personally Zeb took the death of Lasan. Kallus has probably always prided himself on being this impersonal, effective Imperial. But is it worth it when a Lasat he's tortured still went out of his way to help and protect him?

The hero and enemy working together may be a cliche. But here, used with the least developed Hero and the least developed villain, let alone the most malicious villain, it felt like it was a home run nonetheless.

Kallus will be killed if someone sees him let Zeb go in the future. So maybe he'll ultimately die defending Zeb on his honor. Or maybe he'll end up going the way of Tua, only this time he'll actively sacrifice himself when he realizes it's over.

The fact I can write this much about the least developed characters of the show from just one episode proves how good it was at developing them. Fantastic work here.

Also cool to get hints about the extinction of Geonosis. Seems like we'll get to see the Death Star in this series from the look of things. And also it was heartwarming to see Rex back with the gang on a mission, even when giving Chopper orders.

Going by next week's preview Kanan and Ezra are really doing great against the Inquisitors. Shame that they're already going the way of the dodo but they were never as high ranking as the Grand Inquisitor.

11. JokerFC

JokerFC Gaelic Hardcase

Ebay:
    absolutely brilliant episode........wow. I will watch it again tonight after work.

12. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

All good stuff this week. Just realised that the helmet Kallus wears is shaped to cover his sideburns, good to know that the Empire knows the value of good facial hair.

13. Blitz Wing

Blitz Wing Triple Threat

I really enjoyed this episode, despite the fact that I find Zeb to be the least interesting member of the Ghost Crew. One thing I was hoping was that the creatures attacking them in the cave would have been the same as that Mantis-looking creature that Obi-Wan fought in the Colosseum on Genosis in Episode II.

I did love the development for Kallus, especially the final scene where he's sitting by himself in his room realizing that he has no friends in the Empire. The only thing I'm not sure about is the fact that I feel we've seen the reformed villain story before. That being said, I can't help but root for Kallus now and hope that he starts to undermine the Empire and help in bringing them down from the inside.

14. bacon4e

bacon4e Resident Cheesehead

My initial thought was the queen Genocian dying in clone wars had something to do with the population.

15. jala12

jala12 Fiery Adventurer

It's not.

16. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

I have a hard time finding Kalous a sympathetic character and someone who gives a shit about others, considering one of his earlier appearances had him kick a soldier down a pit because he made a dumb remark/question.

17. jala12

jala12 Fiery Adventurer

They managed to make Ventress a sympathetic character and she committed a lot more onscreen atrocities than Kallus did. Also, stormtroopers are basically the B1s of the OT era. No one cares if or how they die, not even the Rebels.

18. Chopperface

News Credits:
    Just learned that it wasn't even the Empire who rescued Kallus, it was a neutral. Helps add to how shitty Kallus' return to the Empire really was.

19. Metroplex79

Metroplex79 Hey mouse, say cheese!

I'm sure some of you noted the Empire's steps for their domination.

-first, Order 66 to eliminate the Jedi
    -next, eliminate established races capable of manufacturing an army; and hostile takeover of galaxy banking/finances
    -(missing a few, probably in the old EU)
    -Wookies as slaves...not a "warrior race" perse, but still...
    -keep Mandolorians happy by letting them have their territory
    -eliminate the Lasat, a warrior race
    -eliminate the Geonosians, another warrior race

Will there be another race that gets wiped out?

20. Chopperface

News Credits:
    The Geonosans also were wiped out because they knew too much about the Death Star, since they were the ones who first made the schematics and started building it.