Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic Remake

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by SHIELD Agent 47, Sep 9, 2021.

1. edgs2099

edgs2099 Optimistically realistic. Moderator

News Credits:
    Alright, if there is a place to discuss your dislike of some writer's politics, it isn't here. Drop it, move on.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Politics aside, I question any company that hires a writer that has admitted they did not like the original game. That doesn't seem logical. The game doesn't need a rewrite anyway just updated graphics. People liked the original story.

• Like Like x 2
  3. TheLastBlade

TheLastBlade Well-Known Member

Not gonna be surprised if it’s a festering pile of shit.

• Like Like x 2
  4. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

It isn't logical because it didn't actually happen and there is also no evidence so far that there are significant changes happening to the story.

• Like Like x 2
  5. TheLastBlade

Because there’s nothing known about the game yet….

Edit: The writer herself doesn’t bode confidence of doing the original justice. For everyone’s sake let’s hope to god that there’s some sort of quality control… But the odds are pretty low.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Tekkaman Blade

News Credits:
    Actually it did. I'd post her twitter posts on it, but those get into areas they don't want us discussing here. So I can't. But the writer said they didn't like the original game. But then they said a bunch of other stuff we can't show here. And that is all I have to say about it. Not commenting any further than that.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Purple Heart

Purple Heart Fall Passions

News Credits:
    Can you PM me these? I want know what they said so I can better understand.

8. Tekkaman Blade

News Credits:
    Just look up the writers name and Kotor in google image search. People have been putting many of her tweets together in images. There are also some fan sites who are covering all the backlash.

• Like Like x 1
  9. DrTraveler

DrTraveler Wheeljack, Wheeljack, Wheeljack

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    KOTOR is one of my favorite Star Wars stories. Hell that era of Star Wars is home to many of my favorite stories (Tales of the Jedi, Knights of the Old Republic comics, etc.). But there are tangible things that are worth fixing in KotOR. For example, Juhani is supposed to be a romance option for female Revan players, but the game backs off it due to the political climate. And the Carth/Female Revan plot could use real work. You can tighten up the consequences for your actions across planets. You could also make the dark side/light side options escalate. Early game the dark aide options are so unbelievably over the top you could easily tone them down and escalate. And I know some folks that really wanted endgame Gray Jedi options. Fixing all that wouldn’t meaningfully change the story.

• Like Like x 4
  10. RabidYak

You mean the one where she was obviously joking about Yoda Stories being better when you actually look at the context?

Come on dude.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Buttstuff Werewolf

News Credits:
    The writer said it wasn’t her favourite Star Wars game; it’s not my favourite either. Still have 3 copies of it because I love it, just love other Star Wars games more. And what, people’s taste can’t grow and change over time? People should calm down until we see something more than a screenshot narrated byJennifer Hale. I do love how hot it’s making fragile men though!

• Like Like x 2
  12. Tekkaman Blade

News Credits:
    Again not getting into this stuff as people here obviously like to stir the pot as much as the writer does. I've said my piece, writer has said many controversial things, not who I would hire based on her stance and things she has said about the brand. We can't repeat what she said here, or use her own words against her due to what she said, and they said to stop talking about her.

I have the game on my iphone, I liked the game. If it gets good reviews I may get the remaster. But the person they hired has a clear type of view that they may insert into the game. I just want the original game with better graphics. If they start making changes to the story or characters, they will most likely lose my interest. Based on what the writer has said in the past I could see them making such changes. I hope they don't I hope my worries aren't justified. If you disagree that's fine. And I'm now done in this thread for a few days because it will no doubt end up the way things always do when some one like the writer is even a topic.

• Like Like x 1
  13. RabidYak

I could definitely go for more consequences, major choices not actually changing anything in meaningful ways is the biggest design problem with Bioware games in general IMO.

Given all the gaping holes in KOTOR2, they should go full Alpha Protocol with that if it gets done afterwards.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Mark

Mark Just here for the toys

yeah probably. If anything it will come out for the hypothetical switch II 5 years after it comes out for the higher power systems. Similar to Skyrim or Witcher III.

15. RabidYak

Gotta say that there needs to be more Star Wars on Switch in general though, a Rogue Squadron 4 would be a big seller that wouldn't cost that much to make.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  16. shamanking282

shamanking282 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The fact that a Switch version of this seems unlikely is disappointing. I was just hoping for and would still be happy with a simple port of the original version honestly. I'm not concerned with the writing, just what kind of modern gaming monetization bullshit they could try to stuff into it.

17. TheLastBlade

Well, EA doesn’t believe in the switch.

18. DrTraveler

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Any remake of KotoR 2 need to add back in the lost content. I haven’t bought kotor2 on my iPhone yet because it’s not clear if that content was restored, or if I’d be able to mod the app like you can the PC versions.

The KotoR games are amazing, the setting is one of the best, and I’m glad it’s getting the care it needs. But there are things that should get an update. It sounds like maybe they will.

• Like Like x 2
  19. RabidYak

Hopefully Obsidian can hit them up with the original design documents and stuff if it goes that far, pretty sure there's still a bunch of stuff missing from that game that never made it to the point where it could be restored or estimated.

Best outcome for this in general IMO would be to establish Aspyr as a big WRPG developer, gawd knows we need another one given the current state of Bioware and CDPR.

• Like Like x 1
  20. DrTraveler

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Switch doesn’t get these because of the level of computational power needed for hyperrealism graphics. I’m kinda annoyed at the super detailed high res graphics thing in general.

In the long run the hyperrealism games look dated within a few years, while the pixel games seem to hold up forever. Stylized art isn’t as hardware dependent, and has a longer shelf life.

• Like Like x 1