Star Wars gets a whole aisle but not TRANSFORMERS?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by JaZzPrImE74, Sep 6, 2015.

1. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    One of these franchises created the modern action figure industry. Hint: It's not Transformers.

In an era when movies were watched in theaters and not on demand or in home theaters, before video games made their comeback to sit in homes, and even before Home Video became a thing, there wasn't much in the ways of Boys Toys. When it came along, it gave kids the chance to re-enact the movie in a new way and with the flow of product, it got kids hooked.

Even the prequels were big business and printed money for everyone involved.

With at track record like that, why wouldn't they dedicate as much space as they can to putting popular products on the shelves?

2. The13Primes

The13Primes hot shot fanatic

News Credits:
    star wars sounds were used in g1. Star wars is that popular everyone knows about it.

3. Psychoshi

Psychoshi Grammaton Cleric

How is Star Wars' popularity in asia, compared to TFers? I am pretty sure that Japan isn't overly hardcore over the brand. Gundam is their Star Wars.

The Star Wars Celebration fan convention's attendance is anywhere from 30,000 to 50,000 people, depending on the year. Botcon's are somewhere around 3000 to 4000 people.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

4. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

i wouldn't say gundam is their star wars, i'd more so say, Nintendo is their star wars.

5. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

News Credits:
    Because nobody open-mouth kissed their sister on the Ark. Controversy begets publicity, publicity begets money.

Or it's a colossal franchise powered by its own history and freaking Disney. One of the two. Have Strongarm kiss Sideswipe with tongue and find out they are siblings, and see if TFs climb in popularity like the SW franchise. That's your barometer right there.

6. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Aw. I liked the 'isle' typo in the title. The thought of a whole island filled with toys make me chuckle.

7. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

well unless you count the fact that optimus and elita one both have the same creator. making them siblings.

and then this;
    which was a data transfer, as advice given to him BY their father, while he was in the room. technically making it sex. and not just sex, but unconscious sex. aka rape.

yea, it's g1. it's best not to think about it too hard.

8. Autoboty

Autoboty Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hmm. Where I live (Republic of Korea) Transformers has two aisles. Star Wars gets none.

9. doomtron

doomtron Hunter

News Credits:
    Would love to see you're toy aisles . I remember when we carried the gundam line here it made for robot heaven at toys r us

10. ultramagnus1

ultramagnus1 Well-Known Member

I remember for years after the release of empire star wars merchandise like the wampa, snowspeeder, the radar dish on hoth were all clogging toy shelves here. So you had a mix of empire and jedi on shelves in thes ame way you had rotf and dotm stuff on shelves at the same time. At least here

11. Janitor

Janitor Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    But money leads to jealousy. And jealously leads to hate...

12. GizmoTron

GizmoTron Roobaticon Commander

Ebay:
    Star Wars is their Star Wars, probably even more so now that Disney's got the rights and it's new movie time again.

Anyway, Star Wars gets a whole aisle because Star Wars is getting enough product to fill the aisle. No retail outlet is going to dedicate the same amount of space to Transformers right now when all there is to fill it with are empty Combiner Wars pegs.

13. Grimwing

Grimwing Scientist Supreme

News Credits:
    I think it only has the whole aisle for the moment. Because disney and retailers are counting on the force awakens to really bankroll billions in merchandise.

Star Wars fans have been starved for product in the lead up to this, as retailers knew it was coming. As cynical as it may be that that the fans that wanted new black series and even rebels figures that were denied that these past couple months are now the base retailers are desperate to cater too for force awakens.

Transformers just does not have any big media event going on, other than the devestation video game in october. And even that is only going to be on the radar of TF fans and platinum games fans following the industry.

Not that I have been able to find much Transformers product at retail at all. Online ordering though sites like big bad and amazon has given me a incredibly wide selection. And its certainly better than the joke of inventory the toys r us force awakens hype events left fans with. By ordering very little of the action figures or lego sets even with a midnight launch lineup with thirty or so people.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2015
  14. agent j 15

agent j 15 Banned

Star Wars has WAY more impact than Transformers. Star Wars got huge in the 70's, while Transformers only became a worldwide thing in 07. That's like flipped digits. Which is like a bunch of years apart and shit. Duuuuuude...

15. Sylent

Sylent Making Cybertron great again

This is how:

[​IMG]

Too much toilet humor.

Regarding the original question, when the Bayformers movies are released, they receive almost the same treatment; the aisles are full of those hideous toys. I'm a big G1 TF fan, but those movie toys are crap.

16. Beastwarsfan95

Beastwarsfan95 Also known as Cheese House

News Credits:

I wouldn't say that, the ROTF toy line was a paradigm in Transformers toy history. The quality of the figures still has not been surpassed.

17. Goaliebot

Goaliebot All Makes and Models

News Credits:
    Why do people assume the lack of TFs on the shelves is Hasbro failing to ship enough product as opposed to the retailers not ordering enough/more?

18. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    And hate leads to suffering. It is the path to the dark side.

I'm still disturbed by this:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 8, 2015
  19. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Veteran

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Correct me if I am wrong, I'm assuming you did not live through any prior Star Wars releases? I have to imagine this is a generational thing.

20. Toyzaremine

Toyzaremine Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Star Wars cumulative Box office total: $4,805,793,300 (domestic only)
    Transformers cumulative box office total: $3,768,000,000 (worldwide incl. U.S.)