STAR WARS - General Topic Discussion

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by DarkEnergon22, Jan 21, 2018.

1. Chopperface

Chopperface Chadwick Forever

News Credits:
    On paper I get it but Hayden is being poorly directed and can’t make it work.

2. Patient Shockwave

Patient Shockwave Well-Known Member

There's an old saying in politics ( but it applies to just about everything, not just politics) - "If you are explaining, then you are losing."

If Disney has to break down and explain the concept, if it's not intuitive for the average consumer, then it was likely doomed from the start. The core mistake was, IMHO, not making it an "escape room" experience. That would have been fun for people. You are stuck on a Star Destroyer, and you and 10 other prisoners need to solve puzzles and find clues to "escape" before your damaged ship runs out of oxygen. Or is captured by pirates.

Not something that lasts 2 days, but maybe 4 hours. Have choreographed hallway battles, light saber fights, star fighter experiences, etc, etc.

This is what happens when the high level decision makers are too detached from actual working class people. They design things that they want. The people who cry during their Soul Cycle classes, sip mineral water while rummaging through farmer's market stuff, talk about scrap booking and jetting around in their Tesla EVs for brunch. Average people just want to swing a light saber. Sit in a X Wing and fight Tie Fighters. Get into a fistfight in the Tatooine Cantina.

• Like Like x 8
  3. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just finished showing our kids Return of the Jedi. They’ve now seen the entire original trilogy.

They really enjoyed it. They’re all big into Lego Star Wars right now & thankfully, haven’t seen anything on YouTube or anywhere that spoiled the ending. My oldest was convinced that Darth would save Luke, while my middle child thought for sure he’d let the Emperor kill him.

It was a great surprise for both of them. They loved the Ewoks & loved seeing them beat up Stormtroopers. The double-log attack that smashed the AT-ST was their favorite Ewok moment. And the moment, where a speeder gets wrapped around a tree.

They absolutely loved the fight between Luke & Darth. And generally they just had a great time with all 3 movies.

For me, this movie still holds up. I love it. I know Empire is regarded as the most popular of the OT, but I really love ROTJ too. Maybe even more just for that last battle. It’s such a good finale, with battles on 3 fronts.

One of my favorite pieces of music in the entire franchise is Vader’s death. It’s just a slowed down, eerie version of the Imperial March & I love it.
    Especially when it gets to the 00:48 second mark.

The OT always puts a smile on my face.

• Like Like x 13
  4. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde 狡猾の死神

News Credits:
    Reading this comment put a huge smile on my face. D:

Super wholesome.

• Like Like x 6
  5. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    1000006514.png

• Like Like x 4
  6. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

Seriously, YT is just a channel of communication/publishing platform.

Majority of the reviewers don't do "rage farming" for clicks. They simply review things.

It's like watching toy review channels to see if that TF figure is worth the money.

• Like Like x 6
  7. Chopperface

Chopperface Chadwick Forever

News Credits:
    Oh I love that escape room idea! Hell get Hondo in there too in order to keep things light hearted. Maybe if you fail you get a clip from him saying he managed to bail you out at the last second, but tries and fails to haggle you for some extra compensation.

• Like Like x 2
  8. JayEm

JayEm マキシマルだよ

Many are more than just simple reviews. A lot of folks are putting a lot of work into video essays and retrospectives, many of which are worth a watch depending on your interests and preferences.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    I think that's the difference between Universal and Disney lately is Disney are mostly just rides, while Universal tries to make it more immersive.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Mako Crab

News Credits:
    I was watching my kids half the time to see their reactions. Really fun just seeing their faces as they watch it for the first time.

Though, the Lego sets or YouTube ruined the big reveal that Darth was Luke’s dad. My kids had no shock or anything to that moment. It’s why I was especially happy that they didn’t know how RotJ would end.

Just an addendum: I asked my kids who their favorite characters are.

My 8 year old: Darth Vader first, then Luke.

My 6 year old: R2 D2 and Princess Leia.

My 4 year old: Princess Leia and C-3PO

• Like Like x 3
  11. hellrasinbrasin

hellrasinbrasin Well-Known Member

Legends re-issue for 2025 all are February 4th drops

The Force Unleashed II
    Scoundrels
    Dark Lord : The Rise of Darth Vader

12. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thanks for sharing the post. Brings back lovely memories. My kids (both boys and girls) also enjoyed the OT too. They too loved the Ewoks (GL is a marketing genius) and they enjoyed the duel between Vader and Luke. And yes, they were uncertain if Vader would save Luke too…

Looking back, it’s kinda sad that the ST turned them off Star Wars. Even the girls aren’t interested in the ‘message’. What can I say except that SW ‘dies’ with me and many of my friends in my part of the world.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Mako Crab

News Credits:
    It’s like reliving the movies for the first time again. Lol, I asked them if Darth was scary, and my oldest said Darth was too cool to be scary. :p 

I still haven’t seen all of the ST. Of the Disney stuff, counting shows & everything, I’ve only seen Force Awakens & Rogue One, & liked them both well enough.

I am curious to watch the rest just to form my own opinion.

• Like Like x 1
  14. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    All I can say is keep an open mind when watch the ST shows.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Leolim

Leolim Well-Known Member

The Sequel trilogy is slap in the face it makes the Original trilogy pointless.

• Like Like x 6
  16. Autoboticon

Autoboticon In like a Bot, out like a Con

subjective and debatable

best he form his own opinion

I do recommend it, honestly though I am curious whether or not the experience would be better if you watched Mandalorian and Ahsoka first before watching the ST films.

Keep in mind though if you haven't watched Rebels you may be a bit lost on Ahsoka as its more of a direct sequel to that series.

Last edited: May 28, 2024
    • Like Like x 2
  17. Mako Crab

News Credits:
    Never did watch Rebels. I powered through Clone Wars, but didn’t especially like it. It had some good stuff, of course. With that many episodes, there’s bound to be a few good ones. But overall, I just didn’t enjoy it much. So I never continued on with Rebels.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Autoboticon

Autoboticon In like a Bot, out like a Con

Rebels is similar in a way, a slow burn season 1 where things become more and more interesting as the show goes on but with the odd couple of episodes in between that slow the show again.

I think it might be best then before starting Ahsoka, to find a Rebels series recap or something.

19. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    Facts.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde 狡猾の死神

News Credits:
    In general this is one of the biggest problems and is unfortunately a very common pitfall whenever trying to make new content of an older, already completed story: creating plot holes and invalidating characters and their struggles because you introduce new concepts and elements that clash with the already established canon.

The first three Star Wars films tell a complete story from beginning to end, it didn't need either the prequels or the sequels and ultimately all these films did was dilute the IP, create a ton of plot holes and contradictions in canon where they didn't exist before, completely strip away the mystery and intrigue by wanting to provide solid answers for EVERYTHING... While I tend to have more respect for the prequels because as flawed as they are there's still a level of sincerity involved in their creation that just doesn't exist with the corporate approved, creatively sterile content pumped out by Disney, that said they still were ultimately unnecessary.

• Like Like x 4