STAR WARS - General Topic Discussion

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by DarkEnergon22, Jan 21, 2018.

1. hellrasinbrasin

hellrasinbrasin Well-Known Member

...There is only one additional Star Wars LEGENDS novel getting a re-issue in 2024 and that would be the Han SOLO Adventures in November.

2. Deathcatg

Deathcatg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Aren't a lot of Legends novels still selling for low secondary market prices, even for hardcovers (so you don't have to have that gaudy "Legends" banner over the cover?)

3. hellrasinbrasin

...While the street sign version STAR WARS : LEGENDS is vanishing from the top of covers a more modest gold barred label of The Essential LEGENDS Collection refit is very decent indeed. And yes the bulk of the original LEGENDS mass market trade paperbacks are still floating around.

4. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The HC Thrawn trilogy is on eBay for $70-90. Not anything crazy but around about what they cost originally.

5. DrTraveler

DrTraveler Wheeljack, Wheeljack, Wheeljack

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Weird thing about that article is it closes out by acknowledging all the variables, positive and negative, they can’t account for as well as acknowledging that they can’t calculate profit/loss on the Disney+ stuff.

That means that the article is basically a guess on partial data. If I were on the board I’d have some serious questions on whether the franchise was mismanaged or if Disney overpaid. But as a normal person I have no idea what the bottom line is. Without a full accounting it’s all a guess.

The bottom line here, as well as with all the claims the studios are going broke, is we don’t know. Not enough data is publicly available. Ultimately you likely won’t know if they’re going broke until they go broke. And if they keep making stuff for a franchise then they’re probably still making money off it.

6. DrTraveler

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    HC Thrawn books aren’t that hard to find. It appears to have had a massive print run. I picked up a copy of the set for $15 at a library book sale. I see them at the used book stores pretty regularly. It makes for a very nice and very cheap gift.

7. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Oh, the studio is likely screwed longterm, but that's because most of Hollywood is in a depression spiral at this point and most of the park's tax loopholes have been closed.

• Like Like x 2
  8. JayEm

JayEm マキシマルだよ

The EU never went anywhere lol. It's still there to be enjoyed.

• Like Like x 2
  9. DrTraveler

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah that I'd believe based on the evidence. It's just hard to pull at one thread like the Star Wars IP in a big company like Disney and say much. Streaming is some vodoo magic stuff, and it's mixed in with the rest of the business in a weird way. And Disney in particular is weird as IP stuff shows up across all the revenue streams, so saying an IP hasn't been a net positive is hard to do. I'm not sure Disney itself would know.

You can say that an individual project/film/series "failed" more definitively, but again even there streaming messes it all up. But you can look at the studio's decisions afterwards and see what they think about a project easily. They clearly felt Solo was a big enough failure to change the future movie slate. They believe in Mandalorian enough to slate a tie-in film for it. They were more than willing to backpedal on developments in TLJ enough to let TRoS retcon or discard the developments of TLJ. And as they have access to all the internal data and models, then their decision carries some weight there.

As a fan I've come around that Disney really didn't understand the Lucasfilm IP that they bought. And they don't appear to have that much faith in those decisions either.
    This. All of the EU comics are readily available digitally, and they're being reprinted in physical copies at a pretty good clip. The novels are either available second hand or are also being reprinted at a good clip. And a surprising amount of the current EU fits in loosely with the old EU. I'd suggest that almost all of the High Republic can be sandwiched in with the Old Republic and Pre-OT material pretty easily. Much of the Mandalorian could pretty much coexist with the Old EU with little issue. And those seem to be the most popular projects Disney has been doing.

I really wish that back when Disney was doing the Force Awakens they'd named Ben Solo as Jacen Solo instead. But C'est la Vie.

• Like Like x 4
  10. Autoboticon

Autoboticon In like a Bot, out like a Con

We do have force sensitive Jacen Syndulla though for potential long-term plots

11. DrTraveler

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah, we have that.

My gripe is that if Ben Solo had been Jacen Solo, then a lot of the old EU could be squinted at and been kinda cannon. Folks forget the old EU had the five levels of cannon, (G, T, C, S, N) and the old EU probably could have survived as S level stuff. After all the Thrawn trilogy has some direct continuity conflicts with the PT and stayed in cannon.

As is though, there are parts of the Old EU you can hold onto with the ST movies. The Rogue Squadron books and comics mostly work in continuity. All of the Old Republic stuff still works. Shadow of the Empire still mostly works.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Gridlock1987

Gridlock1987 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    To bad, they're both great games, on par with many that came in Legends era. Even better than some.

13. hellrasinbrasin

...It's like watching a good film but just not feeling it.

14. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    That’s why I was rooting for Peltz if he was on the board you would have someone watching the money. Currently there are too many Iger yes men and Disney needs a financial guy watching the bottom line and saying some expenses are too much.
    As brought up Disney isn’t good at revealing finances and it often takes a while to figure out the numbers when they finally report things. But as keeps coming out they are overspending and not making enough incoming revenue to cover the spending. As said what they spent on Star Wars was more than they made on it. Then they bought Fox. So the amount they owe isn’t shrinking like it should and they are even losing money. Plus the debt keeps growing. They are like an irresponsible teenager with their first credit card.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2024
    • Like Like x 2
  15. Chopperface

Chopperface Chadwick Forever

News Credits:
    Fuck Peltz, I’m glad his ass is out.

• Like Like x 3
  16. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    I don’t care who it is but Disney needs someone concerned with the financial issues. Iger only knows how to spend

• Like Like x 2
  17. JayEm

JayEm マキシマルだよ

Agreed. Very hateful man.

• Like Like x 2
  18. TheLastBlade

TheLastBlade Well-Known Member

Sounds like a match made in heaven to me.

• Like Like x 2
  19. DrTraveler

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The money aspect of all this eventually will get figured out. Disney is literally too big to fail completely. In the event that Iger made a major miscalculation and this all ends in fire and tears, then Disney would be disassembled and survive. You'd see the theme parks continue, but the studios and streaming stuff end or scale back immensely and IP being sold off.

This won't be a popular opinion, but I'm not sure there is a better home for the Star Wars IP even if Disney did decide to let it go. Lucas is clearly not interested in it, and he's let the IP head for complete ruin in the past. Anyone that thinks Sony or Paramount could do better with it clearly hasn't seen what they've done with their current IP. Maybe Amazon or Apple could manage it well, but I'm not sure. Amazon's Lord of the Rings material has had mixed reception and the Wheel of Time adaptation has it's issues. Apple could manage the IP, and we'd likely see a return to the slower pacing of releases as Apple has tended to have a very slow and methodical approach to its content.

20. JayEm

JayEm マキシマルだよ

New High Republic book on the way:

IMG_9903.jpeg

The cover artist really said let there be twinks lol. Glad to see Reath back though. Def my favorite knight during this era. Also hope we’ll be getting some answers about the Nameless since they’re in the title.