STAR WARS - General Topic Discussion

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by DarkEnergon22, Jan 21, 2018.

1. theestampede

theestampede Wandering Artist

News Credits:
    Maybe bad is the wrong word, it more a product of mediocrity. It is aimed at a younger audience and has a story arc to match, but that shouldn’t excuse inconsistent power sets or lacking character motivations.

Credit where it’s due, the Lut used and color choices aren’t bad.

But this is part of the problem here; lack of experience. This is the first big budget film version of Star Wars after the last trilogy and they chose a director who only did Ms. Marvel and some documentaries. They didn’t choose some visionary with an established creative vision, they basically chose someone who had only done a made for kids Disney tv show to start the next big thing - most likely because this is going to be a made by committee film and they don’t want an experienced director that might push back when they are noted-to-death by producers.

So it’s probably reasonable to expect this new film to be very similar to the mandolorian. Lots of fan-service but probably not a lot of depth.

edit: this doesn’t necessarily mean that it’s a bad thing that she wouldn’t have full control - it seems to me that having someone in control of the entire story arc that the director has to listen to is a good thing, otherwise you get the issues that happened in the last trilogy where the different directors wanted to go in different directions.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Pharoid

Pharoid Time Traveling Robot

News Credits:
    Well you were dealing with different writer-directors in the ST, obviously with different visions. She is the director only, Steven Knight a Peaky Blinders writer is scripting this apparently. Little different

3. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

Something set after RoS is good for me. I have hard time caring about the characters of currents movies/series, since I know they are all dead by the time of the NU trilogy and all their efforts amounted to nothing in the end.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Subotnik

Subotnik Please Stand By.

The Mangold movie is the only one I’m really interested in. Hopefully he can balance it with Swamp Thing without negatively impacting either.

The Filoni fan boys must be over the moon about his announcement. I’m sure his film will easily put every other post-Lucas movie to shame and rake in at least $2 billion dollars at the box office. There’s no reason it couldn’t, it’ll be the dream project all the fans have been saying will save Star Wars for years.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Chopperface

Chopperface Chadwick Forever

News Credits:
    A6DA6ADE-C4EB-437C-999B-47379E9E5FE4.jpeg

Here’s one for the folks not excited for today’s news

• Like Like x 5
  6. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    So Grogu gets isekai'd and has to defeat the demon lord?
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  7. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Remember that Anakin and the Jedi's failure was absolute. The Skywalker bloodline is dead and Palpatine's granddaughter is now in charge of teaching the force. :D 

• Like Like x 5
  8. wampa1

wampa1 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Bet you any money there's a deep fake scene of Han, Luke and Leia.

The post RoS is the one I'm most interested in. Daisy Ridley and Adam Driver (Ben Skywalker force ghost anyone?) pretty much carried the ST, particularly RoS. I can't see them sticking too close to the New Jedi Order novels so I doubt we'll see the Yuuzhan Vong.

9. Deathcatg

Deathcatg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    If we're stuck with that, they might as commit to the bit and have older Rey start talking like Palpatine, see how far can she carry the camp of being wicked while being the good guy.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    I'm so glad Disney killed that awful, awful EU where the OT heroes had miserable lives, Palpatine somehow came back and had a secret Jedi grandchild, and also Han and Leia's son became evil for some reason. This new timeline is so much happier!

• Like Like x 2
  11. Pharoid

Pharoid Time Traveling Robot

News Credits:
    Because if there is one message George Lucas hoped to impart it’s that blood-lines matter.

The most important thing isn’t what you do… it’s who your parents are. Now go have fun out there kids!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Subotnik

Subotnik Please Stand By.

They should bring back Cindel Towani.

• Like Like x 1
  13. DJBot

DJBot Well-Known Member

I think Cindel appeared in one of the old EU novels as an adult, If I recall correctly

14. DJBot

DJBot Well-Known Member

Disney Wars really isn't my thing. I cringe and get nerd rage anytime someone on facebook posts a Baby Yoda meme. But I will always enjoy the George Lucas Star Wars :) 

• Like Like x 4
  15. Autoboticon

Autoboticon In like a Bot, out like a Con

[​IMG]

I'm always up for new stories and new eras to watch with Star Wars.

I don't know, Star Wars even the orignals aren't like master class cinema. They are a fun, lore heavy, campy and logically clunky series that is just always an enjoyment to watch in my eyes.

I have seen no difference in the Disney era films and shows than to the previous films and shows. I think the only one to bug me the most is just Obi-Wan's and Book of Boba Fett's production quality. While I am disappointed with the OT pandering and ignorance for the sequel trilogy I found it added a lot of cool new things I was happy to see.

Even if Rey's film isn't going to be Episode 10, it should be the groundwork along with the Ashoka series and Mandoverse film to set up the next era of Star Wars for 10, 11 and 12. Which I find is fascinating and exciting altogether.

Skeleton Crew looks like a condensed Goonies meets Lost in Space adventure and the light-heartedness with the mix of danger is definitely giving me Caravan of Courage vibes which should be refreshing to get a different type of writing for modern Star Wars.

I am still enjoying Mando season 3 so seeing everything that has been setting up get its time to shine in a film is also cool to me.

Acolyte and Ashoka I am most excited for because of what new things it has to offer to bring to the worldbuilding and lore.

Andor season 2 is going to be another tense and thrilling ride I think too.

Disappointed there was no Book of Boba Fett season 2 announcement though. Guess they're coming back to him for Mando season 4?

I dunno, its fine there are some unhappy about the direction, but I see it as the same as its always been just much more things happening instead of decades in between trilogies.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2023
    • Like Like x 5
  16. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Unless they have changed their mind, there isn't going to be any more episodes.

"I made a series of movies that was about one thing: Darth Vader. Originally, people thought it was all about Luke. The early films are about Luke redeeming his father, so Luke's the focus. But it's also about Princess Leia and her struggle to reestablish the Republic, which is what her mother was doing. So it's really about mothers and daughters and fathers and sons."

~ George Lucas.

Which once again returns to why so many people dislike the DT; it destroyed the theme of the previous six films and rendered them moot.

17. TF Hot Rod

TF Hot Rod Legacy TFA enjoyer

News Credits:
    They cooking.
    750164CB-23B4-4CD9-9562-517596272A97.jpeg CCC2B06B-46D7-4532-915C-929EEC7BE0AE.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  18. Bumblebee2000

Bumblebee2000 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Oh I've been hoping for years it was Lars, moment I heard his first line in his first Rebels trailer I knew that was the voice of Thrawn I had been reading for a decade or so, and unfortunately I watched Sherlock so I knew Lars did live action (and I did enjoy his performance during whatever the heck was going on there)

• Like Like x 2
  19. TF Hot Rod

TF Hot Rod Legacy TFA enjoyer

News Credits:
    So happy it’s him. I figured it would (and better) be him but you never know. Glad it is because I can’t picture anyone else as Thrawn but him.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Chopperface

Chopperface Chadwick Forever

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 1