STAR WARS - General Topic Discussion

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by DarkEnergon22, Jan 21, 2018.

1. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    I showed his actual words from him.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2020
    • Like Like x 4
  2. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    1. No, he doesn't. Media is the media. "Media backlash" is exactly what it sounds like.
    2. Nobody on the internet uses "media" to mean "social media."
    3. Social media does not automatically mean the fans.
    4. There was no social media 20 years ago, certainly nothing like today and not at all in a way that would fit with his description.

And here's proof:

Notice how he doesn't describe those threats coming from "media" or "social media." He says "the Internet," because that's all it was called back then.

Also, nobody here is denying that there were fans that took it too far, in fact the entire discussion is about the proportion of those fans and whether they are as prevalent as the media suggest they are. You know I nor anyone can say with confidence "no fan ever sent the ST cast death threats" even if there's no real proof, because there's no way we could possibly know that. What we can say is "just because one fan sent a death threat doesn't mean they are reflective of or represent the views and opinions of any sizable portion of the fandom."

What really bothers me is what you just tried to do. In front of us all you tried to twist Best's words to fit your argument, even though the context and meaning was clear. (Ironically similar to what Bellpepper's suspected Flamepanther of doing even though it wasn't the case) You have revealed your clear intention to defy common sense and the accounts of those who are the victims in order to push your narrative. Best veyr clearly said the media was responsible, and you straight up say "by media he meant the fans" which have never, ever been synonymous with each other.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 2
  4. bellpeppers

News Credits:
    I dunno but she seemed fairly lifeless in these films too.

Ba-dum

• Like Like x 6
  5. Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    17juf7z3gnj51.jpg

Imagine how much you have to have screwed up to make Star Wars rank below veganism in what people want in a frigging game DLC.
    :lolol 

• Like Like x 3
  6. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

I agree with you here--when he says "media" he means it as in "The Media."

Be careful not to make the opposite error though. Just because he refers only to the media here, that doesn't invalidate his previous statements. We can safely assume it wasn't The Media sending him death threats or blaming him for a "ruined childhood" and it's very obvious that kind of thing impacted him deeply. To look at his more recent statement and go "AH-HAH! You see? It was all solely the media's fault!" is not honest either.

While I do believe the sequel era has damaged popular enthusiasm for Star Wars, I also have to be fair. The two most popular options were hotels and school. I'm pretty sure the matter of "how well would this work with The Sims?" is a bigger factor here than "how popular is Star Wars?"

• Like Like x 2
  7. bellpeppers

News Credits:
    I wasn’t gonna go there.
    I’ll just say this: depression is a real thing. I’ve dealt with it in my own family, people have been resorting to final measures during the last several months... I myself have been going through the ups and downs in recent months as well although I won’t refer to myself as ‘depressed’. Just been rough.

Shit’s got real and it ain’t funny.

• Like Like x 4
  8. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    This is true, and like I said this does not exonerate all fans of any misdoing, however Tattoorobot was trying to use that tweet, and its specific wording, as evidence of Best blaming the fans in that statement, which is simply not true. It also reveals a very clear intent to misinterpret and misrepresent facts, which actually really bothers me more.

Like I said, we can't say no fan ever did anything reprehensible, but the problem is that this fact is somehow being used as evidence of the fanbase at large being reprehensible. It's being used to paint a negative picture and propagate a negative stigma of what a fan is and what they're like, solely to avoid criticism of the Disney Era films, and it happens too often to ignore. What's worse, Disney themselves seem to be, or seemed to have been, more than willing to support this idea of invalidating critics rather than listening to them. They devalue and dismiss others, their customers and fellow fans, and I don't think that's right or fair. Not all Sequel/Disney fans do this, but they're far more prominent in conversation and it's very difficult if not impossible to have a discussion on modern Star Wars without this mentality manifesting. (a good example is this thread)

My question is this: Say I think Disney's films suck. A Sequel fan/Disney Exec then tells me I'm a manbaby bigot or whatever. I say I'm not. They find a random tweet online of a SW fan saying something bigoted and hateful. What then am I expected to do? Say "Oh shit well you got me there guess I really am?" It's taking things from outside the argument and applying them to people who have nothing to do with it, but are loosely connected because they're both Star Wars fans.

Does that seem at all logical? That's how nearly, if not every, single discussion I've had with Star Wars fans has inevitably turned since the Disney acquisition. And it's not unique to Star Wars at all, but I honestly see this behaviour more in this brand than I think I do anywhere else combined.

I think it's more the joke that "veganism" is higher ranked than Star Wars in, well, anything.

I just imagine a focus group of players being shown Star Wars skins and items and decorations for the Sims with blank faces and then a vegan cookbook render comes on screen and they all leap in excitement. :lol 

• Like Like x 5
  9. Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    Super heroes, Werewolves, and futuristic were all more popular than SW and still don't really fit either. :p 

10. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

It already has ghosts in it. These are fantasy monsters, but they're "normal," generic, traditional, Earth folklore. Star Wars is a whole other thing with its own specific lore. Maybe it's a "gut" thing, but it feels a lot more clashy to me. And to a lot of the poll-takers, I imagine.

And yes, I realize it's a joke. But the survey wasn't one, and that interests me :p 

• Like Like x 2
  11. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Star Wars is also the only brand on that list. I feel like Sims, at least from my limited knowledge, isn't quite like, say, Fortnite.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    Doesn't matter, EA went with the SW option anyways. :lol 

13. bellpeppers

News Credits:
    I won't deny that people say bad things on the internet. They always have, and always will.
    And as far as bad things go, one man's trash is another man's treasure. What might be fine by me is intolerable to others.

Back around the prequels, we had social media, yes. It wasn't what it is now. The most damaging stuff, IMO, came from the blogs and websites themselves, in discussion on HOW (not if, but HOW) Jar-Jar was racist. Did that exist in twitter? Yes... but again the blue check brigade wasn't as much of a beast then as it is now. So, yeah: the media.

I'm willing to be wrong about that; I'm going by my own recollections.

But here we are now, with false narratives: the mean old fans drove Daisy and Kelly from social media. Fact: Riddley got off because it consumed a lot of her time. Yet the false narrative persists today, as well as KMT's. You read the headline, and it says she left because of bullying. Reading that word salad she wrote herself tells a very different story. She indeed mentioned fans... but also media, Hollywood, systemic racism... she reallyhad no focus in her story. But who cares? It's about the false headline.

So yeah- the media. Again. The media that spins whatever narrative about any one of us.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Pharoid

Pharoid Time Traveling Robot

News Credits:
    Preening horseshit. It’s Best talking about fans. The quotes are obvious, it’s fans. Try to twist it to fit your little political corporate narrative all you like but it’s a farce to anyone with half a brain. SW has shitty fans, who say shitty things to actors and people involved in SW projects. You and a few others here can play the victim all you like and run cover for the worst of the fandom but it’s transparent. Best is talking about fans making death threats and fans hounding him on the internet, otherwise known as “social media” not the Media.

15. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Twitter wasn't started until 2006, long after the initial backlash towards the Prequels had peaked, certainly after Jar Jar Binks was relevant in the media.

• Like Like x 4
  16. bellpeppers

News Credits:
    Well crap, then that just makes it worse IMO.
    Fan’s comments and “backlash” is more relegated to e-mail lists and message boards.

That would mean that the predominant attention getter to the actors would be...
    ... The Media.

WTH dude?!? You trying to get the thread locked and scrubbed again? Has it even been 2 hours?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2020
    • Like Like x 5
  17. Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    Like the Disney Trilogy fans who attacked Anthony Daniels on twitter?

tumblr_p8usx0F5AK1tx45yjo1_540.gif

• Like Like x 8
  18. bellpeppers

News Credits:
    other forum members for not liking a movie.

• Like Like x 6
  19. Pharoid

Pharoid Time Traveling Robot

News Credits:
    Those people suck and are reprehensible... as well.

20. RetrogradeMercury

RetrogradeMercury Well-Known Member

lol can y’all get over this petty “actually it’s THIS group of SW fans that are the worst” bickering and admit there are shitty reprehensible fans all over the spectrum.

• Like Like x 3