STAR WARS - General Topic Discussion

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by DarkEnergon22, Jan 21, 2018.

1. Rodimus74

Rodimus74 Well-Known Member

I thought they announced they were done with trilogies.

2. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

I really doubt it. Disney would have to be suicidal to greenlight his trilogy while bleeding money.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Mglaighton120

Mglaighton120 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Yeah as much as I want that trilogy, I don’t think now is a good time for Star Wars to be risky. *If* they end up making it, it’ll probably be further down the road after he’s done with Knives Out 2 (and 3?)

4. Rodimus74

So which movies are these? Is it Rian Johnson's trilogy? Is it the movies that the Game of Thrones guys were suppose to do? Or is one of them the "female centric" movie?

5. Incepticon

Incepticon This place ain't what it used to be...

News Credits:
    Yeah who knows. Based on that schedule, it looks like another trilogy, but could very well be three stand-alone movies. Maybe it's nothing, too. Wouldn't' surprise me if Disney just locked in several prime spot dates like that while they still scramble behind the scenes to come up with an actual plan. Guess we'll find out soon enough.

6. Mglaighton120

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    The female centric one is the D+ show from the Russian Dolls creator, idk if they’re even still doing the GOT guys movies. I guess we just gotta wait and see.
    Yeah I’m not even sure they know which movie is gonna he which. They seem to be more focused on the Disney plus series’ right now.

7. Mglaighton120

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    if these both end up being true, they might be my most anticipated Star Wars projects right now
    E9C07269-8BEF-4F1F-8C28-B90E0834839E.jpeg 247ADB5F-01DE-4B68-AB6F-CB70D26C1E04.jpeg

8. Rodimus74

Um, I don't think Ray Park is going to be playing Darth Maul anymore.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Oh gosh lol

10. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave The Fox

News Credits:
    I'm happy for the people who want a Maul/Qi-ra show (assuming this is true), but to me...that sounds like the least interesting show I could possibly conceive. I said it in another thread recently, but I find Qi'ra to be arguably the single most boring character in Star Wars. Boring personality, boring backstory, boring costume design, boring performance. I would be fine with her popping up in an episode or two of a future show, but a show featuring her as a protagonist or a major supporting character would likely be an easy pass for me. As for Maul..I haven't seen his Clone Wars episodes, so I still sort of see Maul as a one-note villain with a gimmicky weapon. I know people say he improved in the show, so a live-action show featuring him could work. Although I don't really like stories where the villains are the protagonists, so it still doesn't sound too interesting if he's the lead.

I've said it before, but I feel like Star Wars needs to chill with the amount of stuff they're putting out. At this point a lot of people are saying the new movies would have been better if they had spaced them farther apart and taken their time. But it feels like they're making the same mistake with the shows now. Supposedly they have 9 (!) Star Wars shows in development. We don't need that many right now. And that's not even counting the upcoming movies and the High Republic stuff. Just focus on the Mandalorian, the Obi-Wan limited series (which is essentially a glorified movie), and maybe a single animated show (and maybe a handful of print and game stuff that ties into those). I think that would be a fine plan for this next phase of Star Wars. I guess some people like a large amount of media, but I'm already starting to feel fatigued and not terribly interested in any of it.

• Like Like x 3
  11. jala12

jala12 Fiery Adventurer

Yeah, I dunno what's going on with Ray Park but assuming he'll no longer be able to play the live role of Maul, they could always try to get someone else to play him, if not Witwer himself then another skilled stunt guy who would be dubbed over.

EDIT: Looks like Ray Park's account was actually hacked. So, false alarm.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2020
  12. Chopperface

Chopperface Chadwick Forever

News Credits:

Filoni PLEASE DO THIS

13. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    A trillion billion Star Wars projects in the works, none of which are related to the ST. Hmm....

I dread the day Disney starts remaking George's films..... but at the same time I kinda do want to see a Clone Wars version RotS. I guess Filoni and co. have "earned" that.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Pharoid

Pharoid Time Traveling Robot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    It’s actually a good time to make deals because you can leverage the financial condition by forcing contracts that are more favorable to you. Never waste a good crisis, they don’t last forever.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2020
  15. Mglaighton120

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Hopefully he’s played by an actual actor and not cgi-d in again E8882B6E-DF1F-418D-9FC5-529064AF0F1E.jpeg

16. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave The Fox

News Credits:
    I was fine with CGI Tarkin, but he was undeniably controversial. Some people found the CGI offputting, and some people thought it was disrespectful to the deceased actor. In hindsight, they really could have just saved money and avoided controversy by showing his face in a window reflection or writing the story in a way that omitted him. Like, they could have said he was away at the senate, and had some other Imperial officer fill his role. Maybe he could have shown up to the Death Star at the very end, and he could have been obscured in shadow. Or he could have appeared via hologram (which would have made the CG more fitting). Insisting he be there in person for entire scenes felt a bit like they were just showing off the technology. It didn't really feel necessary to the story. I sort of hope he's played by a real actor here. Since this will be a prequel, it would make sense for him to be slightly younger anyway.

• Like Like x 3
  17. Chopperface

News Credits:
    From the little I’ve seen Stephen Stanton, who voices him in the Filoniverse, looks a bit like him and did some decent cosplay of younger Tarkin. I bet with some makeup and all he could play older Tarkin in the flesh.

For what it’s worth, Guy Henry did a good imitation of Cushing and I could buy him actually playing Tarkin without CGI and with makeup as well.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Pharoid

Pharoid Time Traveling Robot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I don’t get the disrespectful to the actor bit. He did such a great job people want more 30 plus years later, that’s not disrespectful. Of course people were bent out of shape when Lucas cut chimp-lady Palpatine from Empire and that scene sucked. Who cares more Tarkin.

• Like Like x 1
  19. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave The Fox

News Credits:
    I tend to agree, although I can see both sides. I suppose I don't see it as too different from when they draw Peter Cushing's likeness in a comic book or make a Tarkin action figure. I mean, no one bats an eye when they sell a mass-produced piece of plastic with Peter Cushing's face on it. No one would bat an eye if they made a Tarkin punching bag with Cushing's face on it. But recreating him in a movie is considered a step too far by some? I think it would be disrespectful to create a CGI Peter Cushing for a fake interview or something, but it's generally understood that this specific use of his likeness (whether it be in a movie, a comic, or a toy) represents his character, which is owned by Lucasfilm. The stuff Tarkin does and says doesn't represent Peter Cushing's real thoughts and opinions, so it's not like it's misrepresenting him.

But I can sort of see how some people find it disrespectful. Like, if someone didn't know Peter Cushing passed away, they'd likely think it was him giving that performance. And since it's not really him, it does feel a bit misleading. I'm not sure how Cushing would feel about his likeness doing stuff he never did years after he passed away. It's possible he'd love it, but it's also possible he's have wanted to have control over his own performance.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Chopperface

News Credits:
    Another issue is how convincing it looks. Like I bought it and he looked great.. when he wasn’t talking. In scenes where he did talk, it was immediately video game quality as opposed to looking “real”. The problem is that flesh and skin is an area of CGI we haven’t conquered yet. Apatosaurus’s in Jurassic World, elephants in The Jungle Book, rhinos in Black Panther. I’d argue that the elephants in The Lion King 2019 are the best looking fleshy CGI creations I’ve seen to date, but obviously TLK was made years after Rogue One even released.

Maybe in ten years they can try again and CGI will have advanced enough to have him looking good at all times.