STAR WARS - General Topic Discussion

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by DarkEnergon22, Jan 21, 2018.

1. GuardianAngel87

GuardianAngel87 Well-Known Member

Oh, I agree. I just simply want to share a very funny video that parodies TRoS.

Also, there is another video that is worth checking out:

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
  2. Imperator

Imperator and he drove the fastest milk-cart in the west.

YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    A Grand Day Out

*takes a breath*
    [​IMG]
    Yo listen up, here's a story. About a little guy that lives in a blue world. And all day and all night everything he sees is just blue. Like him, inside and outside.

(dah-boo-dee dah-boo-die, etc.)

It's time to be honest with myself. I've gone off Star Wars. I'm no longer a fan. I still enjoy the movies, I even had a great time in Rise of Skywalker. But the spark has long since gone. Mostly it's the fans, you know? Those self-serving, entitlement-addled bigots who scream and throw their shit around for the films daring to put a girl in a lead role gasp clutch pearls monocle pop etc. And how dare they make part one of a trilogy without having mapped out all three films in advance! That'd take this beloved nirvana of the big screen down to the level of... of... every other film franchise other than Harry Potter. And Lord of the Rings. Oh noes.

And don't misunderstand me by putting that alongside a photo of a Black Series Grand Admiral Thrawn toy, breakout villain from the old Expanded Universe before the new films swept all that stuff under the rug. I'm not advocating for the superiority of the defunct continuity either, convoluted and inconsistent as it is. So why bother spending money on it? And a grubby little Stormtrooper with poop stains on his armour and a severe case of the rickets?

Call it a present to my younger self. Back in 1996 when the original films were spruced up and re-released I fell utterly head over heals in love with Star Wars, would drift off to sleep with the strains of John Williams in the background, would obsess over minutiae until the wee early hours. And yes, had a gleeful hipster place in my heart for EU characters like Thrawn and the like. The ones that your regular everyday fan hadn't even heard of. Thrawn was almost a secret, something that a select few could enjoy without having to endure pop culture backlash about it.

Of course, as toys go, Star Wars has a long pedigree, mostly notable for redefining the size action figures were supposed to be. After decades of 3 3/4 inch figures it feels a little reductive for Hasbro to switch to reverse gear and start pumping out collector-friendly 6-inch figures, even as an even higher tier of luxury Hot Toys versions exists for the collectors whose wallets have their own Panama postcode. I'd be suspicious if it wasn't just a case of doing Marvel Legends But Now Its Star Wars. Same materials, same articulation, same process. Same 3mm holes in their shoes to help plug them into stands if you have them.

I have to be honest, I'm not a fan of the plastic used on Thrawn, and by extension the majority of the Black Series and Marvel Legends line. It's a flexible material largely cast in solid blocks, so of course it's hefty and durable, but the surface always feels a bit too scratchable and not too resilient. Plus by being solidly cast, the flexibility is largely lost, and posing can get a bit awkward. Luckily Thrawn doesn't exactly need to do any dynamic Spider-Man poses, and can happily stand with his hands behind his back like he's sniffing around an art exhibition. Same can't be said for Bandy-Legs Bob the stormtrooper, whose left shin was all knackered right out of the pack. I only got him because he came with some neat little explosion effects, which look rather sharp with an LED inside.

So 14 year-old me is happy to have a figure of his secret favourite character, while 30-something year-old me can say that his Star Wars collection is complete. No more Black Series, no more Lego (it's all grey and boring bricks anyway), no more films, no more EU novels. Time to put away childish things...

...Unless they make or re-release the X-Wing series of games again, then they'll have me all over again like the cheap slag I am.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  3. ABH1979

ABH1979 Veteran

That was a depressing read, but I understand. If your heart just isn't in it anymore, then that's that.

I would only recommend that you pack it up but don't sell it off, unless you're absolutely sure. You may feel like you're done right now, but it might just be a break that you actually need.

• Like Like x 4
  4. Juraash

Juraash Well-Known Member

I totally get where you're coming from on this one. I had felt a lot of that after TLJ and the vitriol within the fandom. Coming in to RoS I just decided to stop interfacing with the fandom basically altogether. It's helped reignite and keep the spark alive for me. It helps a lot when you aren't seeing something you love trashed every other comment/post/youtube video.

Fandom in general has become that way for me. I want to talk about the things a I love, but largely just find a cesspool of hate when it comes to whatever it is. Star Trek, Star Wars, Transformers to a degree, video games, a good book...whatever. Being a fan while not interfacing with the fandom around it is basically the only remedy I've come up with.

• Like Like x 6
  5. betsuni

betsuni I'm just here for the robots

News Credits:
    I'm with @ABH1979 in saying that you should just box it all up and one day you might get back into it once the Hateful Fans disappear after the shows are no longer in the lime light.

Plus I did appreciate Disney bringing back Thrawn and Timothy Zahn to write novels about him again.

• Like Like x 5
  6. Imperator

Imperator and he drove the fastest milk-cart in the west.

YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    I mean, there’s not a whole lot to box up. You’re looking at the entire collection there, so it doesn’t exactly feel like wasted effort. Now Star Wars Lego on the other hand... hoo boy. Most of it is indeed boxed, and I try not to think about the amount of money that went down that pit.

As for Star Wars in general, I’m not cutting it out of my life entirely - as I say, I still enjoy watching it. But I’m done considering myself a ‘fan’. I don’t want to be a fan any more. It’s just not worth the effort giving a shit about space wizards any more. There’s so much more to enjoy. Plastic robots for example.

• Like Like x 3
  7. backhawkdown

backhawkdown Well-Known Member

If that’s your interpretation of the complaints of Disney’s trilogy then farewell, us “bigots” won’t miss you.

• Like Like x 4
  8. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Currently no longer giving a shit about the MCU. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    There are definitely some legit complaints to be had towards the Disney trilogy. There are also some legit complaints to be had towards some of the complainers too. That said no one should be dismissing those with legitimate complaints as "bigots and misogynists".

• Like Like x 6
  9. Tahukanuva

Tahukanuva Human After All

I don’t know why you guys would assume the word “bigots” is applying to people with like, actual story complaints and not to the bigots with bigot complaints.

Pretty weird misunderstanding

• Like Like x 2
  10. backhawkdown

If there were complaints about Rey being female they were so minimal that in no, way, shape or form did it ever reflect any meaningful portion of the fandom to make a generalized statement that bigotry and misogyny were a problem in the fandom. Just a dishonest, disgusting accusation that the fandom is better off without. He’s the problem that the Star Wars community is better off losing.

Except there was no widespread bigotry, just dishonest accusations of bigotry.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2020
    • Like Like x 4
  11. Icebot

Icebot Well-Known Member

Now offense but this sounds foolish. Most franchises and properties have a path laid out going into production. I can name dozens in the past decade that clearly had more planning. Anything based off already written material for instance. Sometimes they even shoot multiple films at once. The Harry Potter books weren’t even finished when they started the movies AND they used multiple directors but there was the constant of Rowling and a team at Warner’s with a basic outline for what they were going to.

It’s not about having every stroke planned before you start. Art evolves and changes during the process. It’s about having someone that keeps the boat within a reasonable course. If you start with a couple of ideas in movie one you can’t just bring in a new director and say “do whatever you like now” and then when that turns upside down just bring someone else in and have them just do their best with no plan. Someone has to have a vision. Why do you think Marvel has someone like Fiege keeping an eye on everything? Otherwise you will end up with a mess eventually. A mostly fun mess, sure, but still a mess.

• Like Like x 4
  12. backhawkdown

Exactly. The problem with the Disney Trilogy is that they didn’t even have a single story idea in place that was to be told across three movies. That’s not to say you need to know precisely exactly what every story beat will be before you make the first movie, but you at least to have to have the broad idea.

how do you start a story without an actual story in mind?

• Like Like x 1
  13. DukeFett

DukeFett Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    It's not weird when if you complain you're lumped in with those people nonstop just because you think a movie isn't good.

• Like Like x 1
  14. HunterGreen2005

HunterGreen2005 In-Stock

News Credits:
    What do I know, but you shouldn't care and/or pay attention to what (toxic) fans say? Don't give up Star Wars because of what you read on the internet?

Stay man! If you enjoy it, then enjoy it? Why should anybody else's opinion matter besides your own when it comes to Star Wars/something you seem to really love?

• Like Like x 4
  15. Chopperface

Chopperface Chadwick Forever

News Credits:
  16. fschuler

fschuler Post Count Inflated With Hot Air TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Well put! And yes, please stay. I like British people.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

Perhaps she died and got better.

18. Pharoid

Pharoid Time Traveling Robot

News Credits:
    Ahsoka should be dead by TROS. If she just sat everything out that sucks. Unless Disney retcons her into the OT and ST.

19. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Currently no longer giving a shit about the MCU. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    We know that she's alive after the OT based on when the epilogue of Rebels takes place.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits: