STAR WARS - General Topic Discussion

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by DarkEnergon22, Jan 21, 2018.

1. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

Yes it does. Look, you might not like it, but you don´t own the franchise, so if the owners of the IP say it´s "cannon" it is, unless they retcon it later on.

2. Pharoid

Pharoid Time Traveling Robot

News Credits:
    You couldn’t follow this? Really.

Episode VII
    THE FORCE AWAKENS

Luke Skywalker has vanished. In his absence, the sinister FIRST ORDER has risen from the ashes of the Empire and will not rest until Skywalker, the last Jedi, has been destroyed.

With the support of the REPUBLIC, General Leia Organa leads a brave RESISTANCE. She is desperate to find her brother Luke and gain his help in restoring peace and justice to the galaxy.

Leia has sent her most daring pilot on a secret mission to Jakku, where an old ally has discovered a clue to Luke’s whereabouts…

Or this

Episode VIII

THE LAST JEDI

The FIRST ORDER reigns. Having decimated the peaceful Republic, Supreme Leader Snoke now deploys his merciless legions to seize military control of the galaxy. Only General Leia Organa’s band of RESISTANCE fighters stand against the rising tyranny, certain that Jedi Master Luke Skywalker will return and restore a spark of hope to the fight.But the Resistance has been exposed. As the First Order speeds toward the rebel base, the brave heroes mount a desperate escape....

3. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave Bounty Hunter

News Credits:
    Movies absolutely need to make sense without non-movie material to back them up. 99% of audiences don't want to (and aren't going to) pick up a book or watch a cartoon show to understand why the movie that they just payed to see doesn't make sense. And they shouldn't have to. Movies should be accessible to everyone, not just the hardcore fanbase.

This is my #1 problem with Solo. Darth Maul's return makes no sense to anyone who hasn't watched the Clone Wars and Rebels. I went to see Solo with some friends, and they assumed Maul's appearance was a setup for a future movie, where they'd explain how he survived. I had to explain that's not the case, because Maul has already been revived and killed in-canon. The problem could have been easily solved by dropping a line in the movie about "his death at the hands of the Jedi being greatly exaggerated" or something.

This is probably also the reason why the characters from the Marvel shows haven't been incorporated into the movies. The majority of moviegoers don't know those characters, not even all Marvel fans watch those shows. They'd have to devote screentime to explaining who are and why they're here. There seems to be a belief that Kevin Feige hates those shows, but I don't think he does. He likely just wants his movie series to be a movie series.

• Like Like x 7
  4. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    But I thought critics didn't know what they were talking about? ,':}

Maybe instead of trying to decide what "critics" will think, they should just make a coherent movie that functions on the most basic level?

I never said it wasn't canon, when I said it doesn't "count" I meant it doesn't count as an excuse/crutch for the film itself.

Which it doesn't.

• Like Like x 4
  5. Pharoid

News Credits:
    Okay. What happened to this guy?

6. Blackout32

Blackout32 ANTHRAX - PERSISTENCE OF TIME

Cybertron The Matrix of leadership knowledge,power
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I'm so excited right now for 2 things well 1 actually SW related and it's awesome as it's SW Rebels. Well the other,.....it's just a great tv show, it's of course Home Improvement on dvd. I'm FINALLY going to get to watch SW Rebels on blu-ray from beginning to end since i missed mostly all of it. I finally took the plunge into the waters of complete blu-ray set of SW Rebels since it made more sense to buy it that way.

The Star Wars Empire and The BINFORD 6100 whatever tool lmao,lol.

7. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    So in the new Galaxy Edge tie-in comic, Greedo is a super sniper, and when Han shot him in ANH, it was out of fear.

:lolol 

• Like Like x 3
  8. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    He thought about it for more than a few minutes and realized how horribly, horribly wrong he was. (like a majority of people who saw TLJ)

See, that's where me and the people who make these movies differ: I have the self-awareness to realize when I made a mistake, and vow to never make it again, rather than commit to a path that's 100% wrong.

• Like Like x 2
  9. GuardianAngel87

GuardianAngel87 Well-Known Member

10. Pharoid

News Credits:
    Uh-huh.

11. Pharoid

News Credits:
    Where are you getting this? There is nothing mentioned about Han Solo shooting Greedo out of fear... he’s not even in the comic. It’s a back-story about Greedo doing a job for Jabba where he inadvertently gets Ki Adi Mundi’s lightsaber. It just establishes Greedo as ruthless and a shoot the quarry first kind of bounty hunter exactly what he’s always been.

12. Dark Skull

Dark Skull Well-Known Enabler Moderator

News Credits:
    As far as Greedo being a sniper, I kinda read it myself in comic #2 where he tells Takvaa "One thing you should know about me, Takvaa---is that I never miss." As he's looking through a scope on a sniper rifle. I guess he's bragging about it? I dunno. Never really thought of Greedo as a sniper. Later in the comic, Greedo messes up and ends up in front of Jabba to answer for it. He offers Ki Adi Mundi's lightsaber to Jabba, but Jabba still wants to feed him to the Rancor. Dok-Ondar offers to buy the lightsaber instead, and that somehow saves Greedo's life. I'm guessing this new task that Jabba gives Greedo (to restore his faith in him) was to capture Han? Though the comic ends at the shop and FO troopers are talking about stuff. Not sure if Han's story picks up again in #3, but I don't think that's been released yet has it?

*edit*

Nvm, I'm reading online it says June 26th is the release date for the 3rd. So I guess we'll see.

• Like Like x 1
  13. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    What? You think I’m lying?

When TFA came out, I was excited as fuck. I was so happy to see Star Wars back the way I wanted to see it, and I genuinely enjoyed that movie. I’ve seen it three times I think, once in theatres and twice at home. I still think, on its own, it’s a solid film and a fun movie.

Going into TLJ, I really wanted to like it. Luke was back, Mark Hamill looked great, and on the first impression it overall didn’t seem that bad. I didn’t really dwell on it much, either, since I didn’t really dig the negativity surrounding it much like you often complain you do.

But then I started thinking about it. I took the movie out of the first-impressions vacuum in my brain and started logically going but by bit. Also like a house of cards every crappy thing made the movie from then on worse. It just didn’t make sense, and worse than not making sense, it made other movies not make sense if what it depicted was true. Then the logical flaws fell away and I started judging it thematically and as a narrative, and that, too, crumbled quickly.

It was only after that I started looking into what other people had to say, and the movie finally collapsed under the shear volume of bullshit I couldn’t ignore. And the way the production team responded to the criticisms is like they’re out of touch with reality.

It’s a train wreck of a film. Absolute train wreck.

• Like Like x 5
  14. Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    He's shown bragging about his sniper abilities in issue 2. As for being shot out of fear, I don't know if that's how Disney wants to frame the scene in ANH, or if it will be in a later issue. That was from a dude that works for the park, and has been sharing all the info with people on another board.

He's the same one that revealed that the lore for the toy shop keeper at the park includes the fact that she's elderly Toydarian who is banging the human cantina owner, Oga.

For those who don't know, Watto is a Toydarian.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Pharoid

News Credits:
    Yeah that’s what I read. Just typical SW expanded story stuff that embellishes minor characters. I just don’t see how that translates into “Han shooting Greedo out of fear.” That’s a lot of supposition. I’m not even sure they’re revisiting this story it seems like stories just centered around items in Dock-Andor’s shop.

I suppose but it’s just not in the story. Like I said it’s a hell of a conclusion to jump to based on nothing. If you say I heard a rumor, okay rumor from a guy that works Galaxy’s Edge, noted. Based in fact, so far no, not even close.

16. Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    Come on, the fact that Greedo is a sniper is hilarious. AFAIK , the special edition is still canon.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Pharoid

News Credits:
    I never said you were lying. I just have trouble following you, you praise things in TFA and then deride those exact same things. I suppose TLJ has colored the lens through which you view the ST. And I can only assume the hate you level at Disney must be in some proportion to the love you have for the franchise.

18. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Such as?

19. Dark Skull

Dark Skull Well-Known Enabler Moderator

News Credits:
    Yeah, that's how I saw it. It was a detailed story of how he got Ki's lightsaber. But it did drop off at Greedo going to find Han (or...as what we could assume he's doing). Who knows. There's 3 more comics coming so we'll see.

• Like Like x 1
  20. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave Bounty Hunter

News Credits:
    I don't get why this scene is constantly being revised and reinterpreted by Lucas and Lucasfilm. The original intent was crystal clear. Greedo straight-up tells Han that he's going to kill him. "Over my dead body". "That's the idea". It wasn't even ambiguous, it was explicit. If Han had hesitated for a few more seconds, he'd likely have been dead. That scene never implies that Han was a murderer or a cold-blooded killer. It's not murder to kill someone in self-defense, especially if they admit that they're about to kill you. There are far more uncomfortable things in Star Wars.

How do you feel about Rogue One?

My experience with TFA and TLJ is similar to yours. I loved TFA at first, and I went to see it three times. Over time I just realized that it doesn't hold up extremely well, it loses a bit of it's rewatch value each time.

I was a bit torn on TLJ when I first saw it. Some of the ideas were interesting, even if they weren't executed well. But TLJ has one serious flaw that I just can't forgive. It's just kind of boring. As bad as something like Attack of the Clones is, it has a drive to it. The senate scenes are boring, but Obi-Wan's quest to Kamino is pretty cool. Anakin and Padme's romance scenes are cringeworthy, but the Coruscant chase is a lot of fun. The Last Jedi is so slow and tedious. If it had been executed extremely well, I wouldn't have minded a slower-paced Star Wars movie, but no aspects are very interesting. The Resistance chase meanders and the Canto Bight mission feels like filler. Some of Luke's revelations about the Jedi are cool, but once you've seen them, you've seen them. I wouldn't even say I hate TLJ, but it will easily be my least returned to Star Wars movie in the future.

• Like Like x 2