Star Wars Figures/Toys

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by payres, Feb 11, 2006.

1. Dark Skull

Dark Skull Well-Known Enabler Moderator

News Credits:
    Yeah it just looks bad ass. The lower legs articulation (if any) is inhibited by his robe last I remember. That figure is now in a box somewhere. I gotta go find the one that's MOSC...

2. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    It had swivel hips and that was it. Malak was objectively a better figure but the head peg broke on mine so whatever.

3. Dark Skull

News Credits:
    I have one of those too. And I've only found one. Ever. I kind of regret not picking up two when I had the chance. Oh well. Maybe they'll do a 6" figure of that one too :D 

4. Timothy.R

Timothy.R Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Wrist pegs snapping? Sheesh, that's scary.

Hopefully they get their act together. I was fine with the dark knight figures shoulders coming out when posing them because when they were put back in, they still stayed in place.. But breakages are a whole other animal. Thanks for the heads up.

It might ge worth a try. I probably could've shaved more to make it work better, but at the time the x-acto knife I had was a bit too full to be super effective.

5. Slave IV

Slave IV more wealth than you can imagine!

I did notice it was very hard to tab in a different hand on my Fett...Was scared it was gonna break but luckily it didn't. Safe to say I will probably never change that trigger hand out now. I'm glad my figure seems fine overall qc wise and hope for the same with the other two Mafex figures I ordered...Maybe they will change my mind about this line but I doubt it.

6. RKillian

RKillian http://www.rktoyandhobby.com

News Credits:
    I had no idea who he was. You can't always go by fan wish lists anyway. Encore Sky Lynx, Metroplex, Omega Supreme, Devastator, and Fort Max ring any bells? My spare bedroom is full of stuff that was "demanded" by fans until it happened. I only ordered the assortment because I wanted Leia and Obi Wan and know all too well what kind of upside-down inside-out fight I was in for trying to find either of them at retail.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2016
  7. edgs2099

edgs2099 Optimistically realistic. Moderator

News Credits:
    I've never heard of any of those Star Wars characters. Are they all very affordable $20.00-$22.00 action figures available at retail locations around this great nation?

8. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Currently no longer giving a shit about the MCU. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    :lol 

• Like Like x 1
  9. Dark Skull

News Credits:
    At retail? No. But I hear some pretty decent folks selling them online at places like ebay and amazon for retail.....

plus a customary finder's fee ranging from an additional $25 - $50+ :)  But they don't disclose that it's a finder's fee though....

If you ask them nicely, they may even include some Rogaine. I hear paying finder's fees can cause you to lose some hair....

• Like Like x 3
  10. Gort

Gort Klaatu barada nikto TFW2005 Supporter

I've been a fan since I was a kid and have read tons of the novels and comics and I have never heard of Darth Grimdark. A Google search mentions Grimdark in conjunction with many different fandoms. Obviously, I'm missing some joke here. Can anyone clue me in?

11. Dark Skull

News Credits:
    I'm pretty sure he was talking about Darth Revan.

12. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thanks for the heads up! Mine is still ok but I guess I haven't been changing hands often. I'm wondering if using the hair dryer method would reduce the breakage issues.

13. Megatron118

Megatron118 Excelsior! Moderator

News Credits:
    Ah, so an x-acto knife will indeed work? I have a pretty sharp one, I just didn't know if a blade like that would be strong enough to cut plastic

14. Timothy.R

Timothy.R Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Nice review.

I was tempted to pickup the mafex version.. But after getting figuarts jango and with how awesome I think that figure is, I think I'll wait for a possible figuarts version.I'm really hoping for a new hope boba fett (I prefer the maroon gauntlets).

I had forgotten that I had jango preordered on amiami until they emailed an invoice. I'm glad I had preordered it from them, had I gone through BBTS, I probably would've cancelled.

The hasbro version is good for what it is (@ $20). I only ever saw it once in stores. When I bought it, I had to have an employee get one from the back (something I REALLY hate doing). You're definitely right about the articulation. I've only ever put it in one pose, him holding his rifle with two hands.

Yeah, I just shaved off slivers of it until it stood decently flat. They're still not totally flat, but I don't need a stand to keep it upright.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Drangleic

Drangleic Banned

What the hell is Darth Grimdark?

16. Slave IV

Thanks!

Boba Fett is one of the few buy almost any version I can get my hands on characters so I'm glad I have this Mafex one but I fully expect a superior SHF version to come. It would be very odd if they didn't do one. Needless to say, it will be an instant order for me.

The Figuarts Jango is really a great figure and Black Series figures are funny in that they give you a bunch of articulation points but they are mostly useless because of the mold blocking them or looking terrible in any pose but the one they were molded to look good in.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Raiju

Raiju Navel Shocker Veteran

News Credits:
    Flickr:
    I think it's just a joke-y nickname for Darth Revan. :D 

I have Hasbro 6 inch BS Boba Fett (haven't opened him yet), Revoltech Boba (have opened him and really like him), and both MAFEX Bobas (ESB and ROTJ) that I haven't opened yet. Guess you could say I like the guy. :D  Really am looking forward to a SHF Boba Fett and it seems strange that we haven't gotten one yet.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Slave IV

Nice! I'm really tempted to get a Revo Boba. I'd love to hear your impressions on it compared to the Mafex versions when/if you open them.

Another thing about Mafex...what's with the giant box with nothing but a bunch of empty space in it? SHF gives you nice, compact boxes filled with accessories and minimal wasted space. Revo gives you about the same size box as Mafex but use it to the fullest with sweet artwork all around, tons of accessories and even more artwork inside (Deadpool is my only figure from them that I'm basing my experience on). I don't know but seems like Medicom is just a second tier company? They used to give me the impression they were really high end but that was back when there weren't so many competitors in the premium action figure market. I have an old 12" Vader that I never opened and thought would be the pinnacle until I read reviews about it later on. Now I'm scared to ever open it.

Curious...do the Hot Toys Vaders come with metal Saber hilts and do they light up (chest/belt lights too)? I feel like I'll eventually need one of those in my collection to go with my HT Boba and those features would make it even more tempting.

19. Roufuss

Roufuss Shots

News Credits:
    It's not so weird Bandai hasn't done a Boba Fett yet... they are drawing out their releases to keep interest in the line. If they did all the big names first, folks would just bail once they got who they wanted. By holding back on the big names, they can ensure folks keep an eye on the line and maybe even go "Wow, I initially wasn't going to get X character, but he looks so cool that I might as well!"

All toy companies do this. Look how long it took Hasbro to get out Episode IV Luke and Leia.

You see companies like Mafex go right for Boba Fett because they need every advantage they can get for people to choose them over Figuarts or anyone else. Mafex isn't interested in world building either like Bandai is, they just go for the names that will get the most sales. They seem to choose figures they know Bandai isn't doing: Jakku Rey, Boba Fett, C3PO, Hologram Vader.

And yea Slave, I would definitely say Medicom is a second tier company. So many of their figures have issues. Boba Fett is fine now in terms of QC going by what folks are saying, but so was Mafex Batman when he came out and it's just recently folks are reporting breakages now that the joints have worn down. I've seen reports of both wrist pegs and breaks in the legs from folks who have had the figure for awhile and posed it often. Their Spider-Man 2 figure is another one that gets worse over time.

They could easily be a top-tier company if they just got their quality under control. That is honestly the only thing holding them back is the quality that varies wildly from figure to figure. I've never gotten a Mafex figure that didn't have some kind of issue with it. I usually never have issues with Figuarts or Figma, can't even remember the last time I did.

20. Raiju

Raiju Navel Shocker Veteran

News Credits:
    Flickr:
    I forgot that I also have Movie Realization Ronin Boba Fet (unopened). I really need to set aside some time to open and mess with some of my purchases.

As for Medicom, their only other money maker appears to be those weird bear brick things (never understood the appeal of them). I visited one of their stores at the Tokyo Sky Tree mall in Sumida recently and it was their realistic looking movie Mafex figures mixed in with those tacky bear bricks. Really odd and jarring.

So second-tier appears to be where they're at. Their stuff rarely sells out, and it often goes on clearance to boot. Still, their stuff looks nice even if the quality isn't actually all there in-hand, from what I've read.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2016