Star Wars: Episode VIII - The Last Jedi

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by eagc7, Jan 11, 2016.

1. Pharoid

Pharoid Time Traveling Robot

News Credits:
    Abrams doesn't understand SW anymore than he understands Star Trek. FA works much better with the new characters than the original trilogy characters. I wish they just jumped ahead 100 years like Legacy.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  2. AMG

AMG Old School

I hope the next two films blow me away. I love Star Wars and I want them to be great. But after ANH 2.0 I'm not going to hype myself up too much. Keeping my expectations to a reasonable level is how I'm going to approach Episodes VIII & IX.

• Like Like x 3
  3. SentaiTFMechaLover

SentaiTFMechaLover Well-Known Member

now they say it will be the longest SW film ever so far, 150 minutes running time!

4. Purple Heart

Purple Heart Some other time..

News Credits:
    If it's good I don't care how long it is.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Chopperface

Chopperface Chadwick Forever

News Credits:
    I'm hearing that Chewie will be really volatile in this movie. Makes sense, Han was like 80% of his impulse control. :lol 

• Like Like x 2
  6. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    If this means Chewie will beat the hell out of Kyro I'm all for it!

7. RolandofGilead

RolandofGilead Well-Known Member

Maybe we'll see Chewbacca just downing Porgs like they were grapes.

• Like Like x 1
  8. jala12

jala12 Fiery Adventurer

Maybe we'll finally see him rip someone's arms off.

• Like Like x 2
  9. CKPRIME

CKPRIME Banned

News Credits:
    Coming from the same guy who used parsecs as a measure of time I find this claim highly questionable.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Rodimus74

Rodimus74 Well-Known Member

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
  11. SentaiTFMechaLover

SentaiTFMechaLover Well-Known Member

only 4 more days until we are probably finally getting a new trailer!!, so damn impatient!, so more than likely, they will probably kill off Leia in a novel or in graphic novel, comic form.

12. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    But why kill her? Just have her go somewhere else in the galaxy. Considering she's like Mon Monthma, she could easily just be at some other base. Just because the actress dies doesn't mean they should kill the character.

13. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Abrams and Kasdan killed Han Solo for less reason than his actor being dead.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Incepticon

Incepticon |-+-|

News Credits:
    To be fair, they killed Han because that was THE condition Harrison Ford had in order to return to the role. He's felt as far back as Empire that Han needed to die for sake of rounding out the character's evolution (sacrifice to help others), but since they didn't let it happen back then, TFA was his chance to get the end he wanted.

15. RolandofGilead

Not addressing the elephant princess in the room would be an awful way to close out Leia's story. She stars in three films, is the child of the chosen one and just kind of goes away before the end? I certainly hope not.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  16. flamepanther

Has that ever been substantiated? Lucas wouldn't have agreed to it, and he already had Ford signed on before he sold LucasFilm and left he sequel trilogy project.
    Sort of. Han already made the decision to sacrifice himself at the end of ESB (it just happens he survived), so his character arc was already rounded out and finished. The point of contention was that Ford didn't see any point in keeping the character around after that, since there's no more growth to take the character through. Putting aside for the moment how absurd it is to think it needs to result in death every time a supporting character shows newfound maturity, they already missed that boat. Kasdan and Abrams have said that they just didn't see any point in having the character around anymore, which is more or less what Ford had said as well. They made the decision to kill him off first (because he was pointless to them), and then they tried to find a way to make it meaningful. And the best they could come up with was to undo Han's character development so they could have him repeat it.

Have I mentioned that Abrams is a terrible writer?

• Like Like x 2
  17. Incepticon

Incepticon |-+-|

News Credits:
    Well, as per nearly every single interview Ford gave during the TFA press, yeah it's pretty substantiated. He was signed up to come back blah blah blah, but his condition was that Han had to die.

All fair enough, but none of that changes the bottom line endgame that still happened: Han died. That's what Ford wanted, and regardless of HOW it was handled or what other peple's two cents on the matter was, the result remains the same. Dislike Abrams all you want, that's fine, but when it comes to THIS specific point, it was Ford's call.

• Like Like x 1
  18. GuardianAngel87

GuardianAngel87 Well-Known Member

All of this.

Also, it's not like Harrison Ford could've just, you know, quit or anything or that Lucas and crew or even Abrams and Kasdan have Han Solo be recasted since other films/franchises clearly don't have a problem recasting a few roles when necessary. Guess he really needed those paychecks.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
  19. flamepanther

That's the thing though. I haven't seen an interview where he actually says that. I'm browsing interviews right now and still can't find it. He says in all of them that he thinks killing the character was the right thing in order to lend him "gravitas". On the other hand he also said he was wrong to want him killed in RotJ, so, yeah, whatever. There was so much speculation even before the plot to TFA was known that Ford would make Han's death a condition for his return, that I think people have just taken his statements as confirming that assumption. But wanting the character to die and refusing to play him otherwise are two totally different things.

• Like Like x 2
  20. RolandofGilead

Back in the dark days, they used to take Ford's comments about killing Han off as proof positive that George Lucas is a terrible person.

I don't miss those days.

• Like Like x 1