Star Wars: Episode VIII - The Last Jedi

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by eagc7, Jan 11, 2016.

1. SharkyMcShark

SharkyMcShark Hi. I'm better than you

News Credits:
    Arguably it was given the size of the remaining Resistance forces. It wiped out literally all of their remaining bombers. The movie implies that there are multiple Dreadnoughts in play.

• Like Like x 1
  2. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist TFW2005 Supporter

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I understand the need to move away from the Skywalker arch, and make Rey come from nothing, but I truly believe it's a missed opportunity not making Rey and Kylo siblings. It would have been a much better story imo.

• Like Like x 1
  3. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    It was universally loved. There was no internet, so we didn't compare nitpicks. We were just happy there was more Star Wars. And it helped that Empire was legitimately great.

4. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    This is one of my big problems with the movie. The very inconsistant writing. Now, Lucas' writing was no gem here, but it did have some gravitas, and a semblance of continuity. It felt like a choice was important.

Here, it's like you say, it didn't feel any greater then the losses on any other rebel attacks. Having said that it was, if you look it from percentage. This movie is pretty much showing a very finite number of rebels. It is not saying, there are rebels elsewhere. What they actually are saying is, there aren't rebels elsewhere, and no rebels are coming to help. So in fact, you have finite resources. So if you have 6 bombers, and you lose them all, for a defeat on something that is dangerous, but is not a death star for instance, then the way you utilize those resources is dumb.

The Rebels here just seem to be throwing deaths at a situation not realizing they are running out of pawns. Which is actually called out in the movie but not acted upon.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    Oh, the other thing I realized why this didn't feel like SW, is because it felt a shit load more like Battlestar Galactica.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Well-Known Member

I'm saying a woman can't get pregnant without someone's sperm.

7. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

You mean no sense of scale. We are supposed to believe that the FO was able to steamroll the entire galaxy after the destruction of the Hosnian system? That would be like if the US surrendered after someone wrecked Washington DC. Sure, it would be a huge blow and there would be a lot of confusion, but there would still be a rather vengeful US military across the land, willing to punish whoever did it.

8. BattleUpSaber

BattleUpSaber Result.

News Credits:
    Really? I wasn't around in 1980, but i recall hearing that ESB was heavily panned when it came out, both by critics as well as general audiences.

9. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Well-Known Member

Honestly, they should have had some time pass between this movie and the last. As it stands, a day has gone by between movies, which throws everything off.

I still don't understand how the First Order even managed to come into power though when the entire Empire was overthrown in RotJ. We clearly see the entire universe celebrating their freedom at the end of Jedi.

10. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

Die hard elements fled with a lot of ships and men, into the Unknown Regions and spend a lot of time and effort rebuilding in there.

11. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

• Like Like x 1
  12. GuardianAngel87

GuardianAngel87 Well-Known Member

Shame they couldn't afford to do a simple throwaway line or two which explains those particular details in the films proper. Bet it won't even take a minute to do so. The least they could do is put that bit of exposition in one of their opening crawls.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2017
  13. TattooedRobot

TattooedRobot Too Much Horror Business TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I would have used Thrawn instead of Snoke. Just made him the Kirk of the Imperials. Most amazing young Admiral so he could have just been Old in FA and not wasted him on Rebels. Him holding Kylo on a leash would have been fun.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Blam320

Blam320 Assembly Inventor

News Credits:
    Keep in mind the New Republic signed various disarmament treaties with what was left of the Empire that didn't flee into the Unknown Regions of the galaxy, meaning there were still many systems sympathetic to the First Order in the galaxy, even in the Republic itself. Not only that, but in their 30 year absence the FO experienced a quantum leap in developing military technology, with Hyperspace tracking, Kyber-crystal enhanced weapons, not to mention Starkiller Base.

15. ArmadaJetfire

ArmadaJetfire Yamato is go! ;D

Look at this way...you use 90% of your forces to take out a good chunk of the enemy forces, but the 3 time as many show up and you have nothing left. Someone is get an ass spanking from command. The First Order could bring more forces to the fight, the Resistance had to decide whether they could afford to fight.

16. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

There seem to be a number of articles now questioning how much we can actually put into the audience score on Rotten Tomatoes since there are ways to game the system and some angry fan groups have organized to exploit the flaws in how easy it would be for a determined group to impact the score. The Cinemascore of an A brings into question just how much we can read into the Rotten Tomatoes audience score since the Cinemascore is asking real viewers in person how they felt about the film vs Rotten Tomatoes having no way to determine a real person vs a bot program.

Why Do So Many 'Star Wars' Fans Hate 'The Last Jedi'?

• Like Like x 1
  17. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

For fuck's sake, what part of the "force did it" isn't getting thru, it's the go-to when explaining anything mystical or when things happen by chance in SW. It's no dumber than ghost Yoda or ghost Yoda that can bring down the lightning.

This was a major problem in both films.

Keep in mind that is supplemental facts that the vast majority of the audience doesn't know those facts.

Those bombers were slow as shit, their loss didn't account for much. The rest of fighters being destroyed had more no impact and it would have happened anyways since the empire was tracking the alliance rebellion.

• Like Like x 3
  18. TattooedRobot

TattooedRobot Too Much Horror Business TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    A small but determined group of Rebels! My assistant at work is one, ungrateful bastard I took him to opening night!

• Like Like x 3
  19. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

Mah Russia, for star wars. :rolleyes: 

• Like Like x 3
  20. Incepticon

Incepticon Moving on...

News Credits:
    I can't believe how many of these inane "in-depth analytical" op-ed articles have been popping up since the weekend. Is it really so hard for people to comprehend that it may have just been a weak movie? Obviously there are always the extreme turbo nerd fans that take things too far and turn their letdowns into being personal attacks against them, but there ARE a ton of other normal people out there that may have just thought the movie dragged... that some of the characters still didn't get much development... that the pacing & editing was brutal... that some of the character arcs were disappointing... that some key and/or fan favorite characters like Chewie or R2 were nothing more than background cameos... etc etc etc. I mean, as we learned from the prequels, and according to many people, even The Force Awakens, sometimes Star Wars movies can be... bad. True story.

* btw, Ash, I am commenting solely at that article - not you or anything you said above the link

• Like Like x 4