Star Wars: Episode VIII - The Last Jedi

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by eagc7, Jan 11, 2016.

1. User_93049

User_93049 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 8
  2. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Noooooooooooo, that did not happen.

What happened is that in 1977, some critics gave their honest opinion that they didn't think much of the original Star Wars, and found they had come down on the wrong side of history, getting completely brutalized by the rabid public. So when Empire came out, not wanting that uncomfortableness to repeat, all the critics overcorrected and couldn't say enough nice things. And this may be anecdotal, but I never heard anything negative from anyone, young or old at the time.

I think the response to Jedi was more measured, but at the time Empire came out, it was a full-on love fest.

• Like Like x 1
  3. UltraAlanMagnus

UltraAlanMagnus See ya!

News Credits:
    Well I'm finally seeing this tonight.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Okay, so the Force getting a woman pregnant is logical, but
    Leia being saved by the Force in space makes no sense?

You are right in that I needed to change that picture though:

[​IMG]

5. Pharoid

Pharoid Time Traveling Robot

News Credits:
    Read this post....

6. User_93049

News Credits:
    Apparently this is the most upvoted/kudoed Star Wars fanficfic on AO3 http://archiveofourown.org/works/5457191
    upload_2017-12-19_11-57-32.png
    Now can we please stop shipping Rey with Kylo Ren?

7. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    Ewoks and Tusken societies have an effective government because we know nothing of them? Well, I don't know all the comics, so maybe there was something there.

8. MatrixOfWumbo

MatrixOfWumbo I see you

News Credits:
    There's something to be said about a government easily falling to an autocratic regime that uses suspiciously similar tactics to the last, especially famous autocratic regime in history. Especially when it was written in 2015.

I don't know about you, but I've also never used RT to review a movie. I think it's safe to say the majority of people who feel so strongly about a product or experience that they review it on Yelp or Amazon or RT are the ones who hated it and need a cathartic out. Because talking about something you dislike is generally more stimulating than the reverse.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
  10. User_93049

News Credits:
  11. gregles

gregles quintesson

Just saw this review on YouTube and found it refreshingly different to all the bile being thrown around by those upset it didn’t match their head cannon and defensive white knitting. It’s not too spoilerific just well thought out from a non fan perspective

• Like Like x 1
  12. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

Seriously can't help yourself, can you...just gotta bring the argument back around to identity politics.

Never said it doesn't make sense, what takes people aback is Leia using a level of the force (quite easily, I might add) she has never been once shown to have possessed. To put it in context, yes, it is every bit as jarring has the miracle birth of Anakin.

• Like Like x 1
  13. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    bladerunnerumbrella2.jpg

Edit
    Also, there are a lot of assumptions being put here about Leia. The whole thing about the Force, is it's not exactly fully mapped out is it? There are conscious acts with the Force, but there are also unconscious acts. Don't think, feel.

Now, as we are aware Leia is pretty darn in tune with the Force, she can feel Lukes thoughts. She has demonstrated (on film) instinctive acts of the Force. Now, on the verge of death? Concievably she could do what she did.

Especially when it comes to the 'Force'. What people are shitting about, is that it doesn't match with their headcanon.

'Using the Force requires years of practice!'

Bull. Shit. How long did Luke spend with Yoda on Dagobah? REALLY? Bear in mind Dagobah runs concurrently with Cloud City. A week? Maybe a fortnight? The Last Jedi showed the Force is more instinctive than trained, and some people are getting all in a twizz about it.

'Light Saber fights should be more twirly!'

Again, headcanon. If someone came at a proper swordsman with all that twirly shit DEAD. Twirl twirl twirl DEAD. Spin spin DEAD. Spin twirl DEAD DEAD DEAD. Sure TLJ's Lightsaber battles were not as 'pretty' but for me? Much more believable. As much as a laser sword fight can be I guess. But, because it doesn't match the bollocks some people have spent ages trying to 'master' *guffaw* they're losing their shit about it.

I'm not white knighting the film, all I'm doing is enjoying what they put out for me.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2017
    • Like Like x 4
  14. Incepticon

Incepticon |-+-|

News Credits:
    I'm surprised that amid all the valid complaints, no one has really mentioned that hilariously stupid OJ Simpson space "chase". We legit rolled our eyes at that 2 hour long ridiculousness. It was one thing that the FO were all "okay, well, rather than just catch up to them - which we totally COULD do - we'll just stay back here, follow them forever, and lob ongoing laser shots to remind them that we're here... even though they are quite aware of it". And what was even MORE inane was the main reason behind it. You're telling me these ships can zip through galaxies via hyperspace, have tractor beams, can cloak, etc., but they run out of fuel. Fuel. Fuel that, when depleted, apparently makes them come to a dead stop? Hahaha are you fucking kidding!? Even WE right now in our modern world have vehicles that don't require nor rely on fuel, and can maintain near perpetual energy. I was honestly blown away how THAT was used as the main underpinning plot for, of all things, a Star Wars movie. I'm still laughing about it two days later.

• Like Like x 3
  15. aprim

aprim Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I wish I saw that movie instead I seen the last jedi.

16. Alucard77

News Credits:
    I actually agree with most of what they said minus the last 10 min or so. I do think there is plenty you can do with the SW brand, if you have imagination to do it. Also, I find that their concerns are 90% of the concerns people have with this film.

17. aprim

aprim Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah these guys pretty much hit it right on the head.

18. Alucard77

News Credits:
    I used RT more when I realized that IMDB shits out a good score for any movie. So it was more about finding a hidden gem that I may have missed. So if there was some 90+ rated movie that noone ever heard of, then I was willing to check it out.

For regular movies, especially blockbusters, RT, IMDB, etc are just useless.

I cannot tell you the last time I saw a good super hero movie. Sure WW was okay, but was it a top tier super hero movie? Is it a top tier movie overall? Nope. So why is it getting a 92% and 89% by the audience? Really, is it the 23rd best movie movie of all time (which is it's ranking on RT)?

19. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Haha yeah. They have planet killer cannons on that thing... that can't hit the Rebel Cruisers cuz they're too far away to affect the shields? If I remember correctly the last film had a cannon that could shoot across the Galaxy.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  20. Alucard77

News Credits:
    So I was thinking about this, if in Episode 9, the master weapon is a black hole generator which eats us galaxies, will people be upset with that?