Star Wars: Episode VIII - The Last Jedi

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by eagc7, Jan 11, 2016.

1. Blam320

Blam320 Assembly Inventor

News Credits:
    Keep in mind the New Republic signed various disarmament treaties with what was left of the Empire that didn't flee into the Unknown Regions of the galaxy, meaning there were still many systems sympathetic to the First Order in the galaxy, even in the Republic itself. Not only that, but in their 30 year absence the FO experienced a quantum leap in developing military technology, with Hyperspace tracking, Kyber-crystal enhanced weapons, not to mention Starkiller Base.

2. ArmadaJetfire

ArmadaJetfire Yamato is go! ;D

Look at this way...you use 90% of your forces to take out a good chunk of the enemy forces, but the 3 time as many show up and you have nothing left. Someone is get an ass spanking from command. The First Order could bring more forces to the fight, the Resistance had to decide whether they could afford to fight.

3. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

There seem to be a number of articles now questioning how much we can actually put into the audience score on Rotten Tomatoes since there are ways to game the system and some angry fan groups have organized to exploit the flaws in how easy it would be for a determined group to impact the score. The Cinemascore of an A brings into question just how much we can read into the Rotten Tomatoes audience score since the Cinemascore is asking real viewers in person how they felt about the film vs Rotten Tomatoes having no way to determine a real person vs a bot program.

Why Do So Many 'Star Wars' Fans Hate 'The Last Jedi'?

• Like Like x 1
  4. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

For fuck's sake, what part of the "force did it" isn't getting thru, it's the go-to when explaining anything mystical or when things happen by chance in SW. It's no dumber than ghost Yoda or ghost Yoda that can bring down the lightning.

This was a major problem in both films.

Keep in mind that is supplemental facts that the vast majority of the audience doesn't know those facts.

Those bombers were slow as shit, their loss didn't account for much. The rest of fighters being destroyed had more no impact and it would have happened anyways since the empire was tracking the alliance rebellion.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Pharoid

Pharoid Time Traveling Robot

News Credits:
    A small but determined group of Rebels! My assistant at work is one, ungrateful bastard I took him to opening night!

• Like Like x 3
  6. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

Mah Russia, for star wars. :rolleyes: 

• Like Like x 3
  7. Incepticon

Incepticon |-+-|

News Credits:
    I can't believe how many of these inane "in-depth analytical" op-ed articles have been popping up since the weekend. Is it really so hard for people to comprehend that it may have just been a weak movie? Obviously there are always the extreme turbo nerd fans that take things too far and turn their letdowns into being personal attacks against them, but there ARE a ton of other normal people out there that may have just thought the movie dragged... that some of the characters still didn't get much development... that the pacing & editing was brutal... that some of the character arcs were disappointing... that some key and/or fan favorite characters like Chewie or R2 were nothing more than background cameos... etc etc etc. I mean, as we learned from the prequels, and according to many people, even The Force Awakens, sometimes Star Wars movies can be... bad. True story.

* btw, Ash, I am commenting solely at that article - not you or anything you said above the link

• Like Like x 4
  8. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

I find it hilarious how pathetic and ineffective goverment The Republic proved to be. Again.

Terrible in the Prequel Trilogy...

And now terrible and unprepared in the Sequel one as well.

Their Senate getting annihilated was a mercy kill, really.

:X

• Like Like x 3
  10. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    This is the same bullshit they tried to do (or actually did) with the Amy Pohler special on Netflix. They changed the whole mechanism for rating it, because they said people fixed the scores. But, the show itself sucked. Is it possible that people just thinks something sucks?

Granted, I have my problems with the movie. But I don't think it sucked. It entertained me. I just had a problem with it being that Star Wars is one of my favorite franchises. I could see that being an impact to scores as well. Favorite franchise, not what you expected, then you shit on it in scores.

No way is this movie in the 50s. It's in the 70s, maybe even 80s. If it was stand alone and didn't have the SW name on it, it would have a higher ranking.

I personally enjoyed it a shit ton more then Guardians of the Galaxy 2. But yet again, in that movie, they didn't have throw away plot from Part 1 the way this did. So writing was better in GotG2, but STLJ was more enjoyable.

11. Pharoid

Pharoid Time Traveling Robot

News Credits:
    Ah it's essentially what this thread has been about for 5 days.... add score manipulation. I think it's a pretty funny article.... and of course there's.....

"It’s also, nitpicks or genuine critiques notwithstanding, about telling the original batch of Star Wars fans that the franchise isn’t necessarily for them anymore. It’s rather for those who have been waiting on the sidelines (fans who weren’t white men) or fans of all stripes young enough to have fallen for Star Wars through The Force Awakens or Star Wars: Rebels. It’s a weird contradiction in modern fandom, with folks my age (or older) wanting new variations on beloved childhood pop culture icons but yet wanting those iterations to appeal more to us than to our kids."

That's some pretty accurate shit right there.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Galvatron II

Galvatron II I can type whatever here?

"EmPIrE HaD bAd REVieWS!"

Sure but Empire also came out at a time when both sequels and genre fair were both pretty much frowned upon by professional critics. Mainly because things like Empire hadn't changed the game yet.

• Like Like x 1
  13. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

To be fair, the direcotr was to lazy to have good guys and bad guys on equal footing and had to resort tot he extremely old cliche of "BAD GUYS STRONK, good guys weak!"

• Like Like x 1
  14. Blam320

Blam320 Assembly Inventor

News Credits:
    Wasn't that the intended feeling through the entire Original Trilogy? The Empire had the Death Stars, it's huge space navy, nigh-unstoppable walkers, not to mention Darth Vader and the Emperor were dark lords of the Sith, while the Rebellion was a ragtag collection of freedom fighters working with salvaged material, a few Jedi-in-training and ex-Jedi.

15. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

I know. But the in-universe implication of this meta is hilarious as...

• Like Like x 1
  16. GuardianAngel87

GuardianAngel87 Well-Known Member

It really makes you wonder why even bother having any type of government in this universe at all.

17. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

Yeah... Considering that forms of government in this galaxy usually are:

1 - Effective but tyrannish and genocidal, see all the Sith ones

or

2 - Democratic but corrupted or/and ineffective, see all the Republics...

So maybe Ewoks and Tusken ARE the only people there with any semblance of an effective government after all?

Last edited: Dec 19, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  18. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:

• Like Like x 1
  19. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    Pretty ironic that despite being the bad guys both the Empire and the First Order had some things more together in comparison when you get down to it.

20. aprim

aprim Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ohh I been waiting for this one!