Star Wars: Episode VIII - The Last Jedi

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by eagc7, Jan 11, 2016.

1. TattooedRobot

TattooedRobot Too Much Horror Business TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I am puzzled by something Snoke says, paraphrasing, "I warned Kylo that as his power grew in the Darkside, his equal in the light would rise to meet him. Skywalker I assumed... incorrectly."
    So it seems Rey is perhaps so powerful just because the Force is naturally trying to restore balance but......
    This leaves off something strange if the Force amped Rey's power to balancd Kylo, presumably because Luke was closed to the Force, then who Balances Snoke? Where is the light to balance Snoke's power....

2. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist TFW2005 Supporter

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    To explain away Rey's origin as nothing more than ordinary I can dislike, but still accept. To not explain even a little about Snoke and how he came to power and how he had no interactions with Vader or the Emperor (that we're away of) is just wrong.

• Like Like x 1
  3. TattooedRobot

News Credits:
    Give me a break. We have laser swords and throwing around people and rocks and Senate chambers.... someone can't use the force to preserve themselves in space? It's as believable as anything else someone can do with the Force. Hell Han and Leia can walk around inside a giant space slug with breathing masks so don't talk SW physics at me.... lol. Qui-Gon can melt 5 foot metal doors with a lightsaber but it doesn't instantly incinerate someone when they get stabbed with one? Oh, oh, oh and sound in space....NO.
    If you want to pick holes in anything you can it's not hard but no amount of hating this movie will change it. It's canon now.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I mean that's kinda my point, though. What about what Luke did was out of character from the end of ROTJ? Luke gave into the Dark Side in ROTJ, but came back. He's clearly susceptible to it, which I think is just a Skywalker trait. He chose not to fight at the end of ROTJ and threw away his saber, which is pretty much the exact same way his fight with Ben went. He's above that now. We never really knew if Luke would be a good teacher from the original trilogy, because he wasn't a great student. I'm not necessarily singling you out on this, but I see a lot of comparisons to old EU Luke on the Internet, and there seems to be a disconnect at that point, that everyone expected Luke to be successful, to recreate the Jedi Order, to be a proper leader. And he didn't. It pretty much echoes being a Skywalker. Anakin was the chosen one, and in the end what that meant was failure and overcoming it. Luke followed the same path by the end of this film.

I love the OT. But I'm really struggling to see what people saw in Luke from ROTJ that doesn't really fit with TLJ. Hell, I bet you that he ends on a high point in IX, because that seems to be the trend of the films. Success in ANH, failure in ESB, success in ROTJ, failure in TLJ. Maybe I'm just grasping at straws.

• Like Like x 2
  5. TattooedRobot

News Credits:
    Did you know who the Emperor was for 15 plus years? Did you even know he was a Sith? No.

6. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    That's not the point. No one here is arguing whether the movie is canon. The point is whether things like this should be canon and whether they fit within the universe, which is a perfectly fair discussion to have.

• Like Like x 1
  7. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist TFW2005 Supporter

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    The point though is we know now. The audience knows all about Vader and Palpatine, and how they have been dead for 30 years now approximately. My point is that clearly Snoke is old enough to have been alive when they were, so how is it possible this brand new character could have existed in that time without the Emperor knowing, if Snoke is so powerful. They built up his character so much in TFA that you would have at least hoped to learn how he came to power and his connection to the dark side.

• Like Like x 5
  8. Purple Heart

Purple Heart Pure Passion

News Credits:
    Snoke came from the outer regions, a place Paplatine took great interest in becuase he could sense a powerful source if the Dark side emanating there. The outer regions are unexplored regions of space, anything could have been out there. When the Empire was defeated it retreated into the Outer Regions, where it was reformed as the First Order and commanded by Snoke. But I do agree, Snoke was wasted, nothing was ever explained about him.

9. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

Dude, it was painfully obvious that I meant outer rim to be a catch-all term. Star Wars loves to fall back on this to explain away just about everything.

Where did the Empire go? Outer rims/regions.

Where is the resistance? Outer Rim/regions.

Etc, etc, etc.

10. TattooedRobot

News Credits:
    Perhaps I should have been clearer in my comment, allow me to clarify.

1) It's ridiculous to argue "science" in SW. You may not like Super-Leia but it's as feasible as anything else.

2) You can nitpick every single little detail in TLJ till the cows come home, which Rodmus Prime is doing, and it will not change anything. The movie happened. It's like Apollo 13, with Tom Hanks, we can freak out in the this capsule together but in the end we are still going to be stuck in here with the same problems.

Nothing in TLJ is out of character or shouldn't be there. It's just a question of one not liking it. I have yet to see a single person posit one thing that "shouldn't" be there.

11. TattooedRobot

News Credits:
    No one said those questions won't be answered... just not in this film. Just like they weren't answered in ROTJ, yet.
    As Rian recently said, maybe Snoke is Darth Plagueis? But it would not have meant anything to Rey, she would have just said, "Who?"

12. gregles

gregles quintesson

It’s probably better to leave snokes origins or backstory to all those fan theory people to debate over as a mystery can often beat the reality though that said it could have been interesting to have something to differentiate him further from Emperor Palpatine. Kylo Ren is a much interesting villain anyway so personally I’m not too bothered by snoke in this movie

I quite liked Reys lack of significance as to me it would have felt a little too neat to do another I’m your father/mother moment and anakin skywalker came from humble beginnings too.

13. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    You know the fact that Luke did bring up how the Jedi were arrogant in the old Republic with trying to control the force and everything in general is a great call back to both the PT and the Clone Wars series since we did see them do some pretty questionable if not outright messed up stuff to get things done which helps make Luke's point about the Jedi being nothing but trouble like the Sith have more impact and understanding where he's coming from. It makes me wonder if during his days as Jedi master Luke found out more and more about how the Jedi in the Old Republic were really like from sources not from Obi Wan like from people that were still alive from the Old Republic days or even met Ashoka herself at some point who told him about it which further helped him to come to that conclusion.

Speaking of that now I want to see a series in the future that tells the days of Luke training the new generation of Jedi having adventures with them and eventually leading up to the events of Ben Solo's betrayal. Like for example we could have an episode or two that delves into why the thought of killing Ben came to Luke in the first place when as people said he saved Vader before.

• Like Like x 1
  14. ArmadaJetfire

ArmadaJetfire Yamato is go! ;D

Maybe that is the problem. We have the EU for like 20 + years where everyone (except Chewie) went on to be even more heroic. Luke founded a new Jedi school and trained butt load of Jedi. Han did become that lovable space prirate/dad who had wild highjinks with his wife and kids and Leia became a powerful leader in the galactic Senate when not with her husband and also became a semi jedi.
    Except it didn't. Luke failed and when into exile, Han couldn't settle down and went back to his smuggler ways after he lost Ben and the Falcon. And Leia couldn't let the fight go against the Empire/First Order.
    So now people have the versions of them that are gone and can't believe that the ones we have now are what we have now. And people, some people, are pissed. That' my take.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
  16. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

I can get behind that. Seeing Superman Leia just reminded me of what she became in the EU.

Han going back to anh han was sad, Luke turning into basically just a re-hash of Obi-wan felt worse because this is the last we will ever see of these characters. I think the resentment is compounded by the basic reboot of the entire SW universe where we're back to square one when anh began.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

Maybe this guy will explain it better. He doesn't hate the film, btw.

• Like Like x 3
  18. GuardianAngel87

GuardianAngel87 Well-Known Member

You know, what's to stop Disney/Lucasfilm from doing a reboot of the Star Wars franchise, pop culture phenomenon or not, again in a decade or so only this time rendering the six main saga films plus the CGI Clone Wars series non-canon? Just a simple question.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
  19. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

A - Bad formatting on my side, my bad

B - You said we're not given good reason to hate them... But for me sacking this one village alone would be a reason good enough to gun on sight every Order member even before they'd even move to blowing up the planets.

The new trilogy isn't making me care about any of the Jedi... In fact I think that galaxy would be a better place for everyone if all force users were moved down, Sith and Jedi alike.

But sure as hell is making me care about killing as many FO goons as possible.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
  20. Toyzaremine

Toyzaremine Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This was implied and we were led to believe it before TLJ. In the TLJ, the central message above all others, is that Rey is not a Skywalker. The force chose her, she didnt choose it, because the force sees something in her to carry on the legacy of the light side. IT adds gravitas to her person, being a descendant of no one important. She is not of important lineage, blood relative, but the force is still strong with her. Unlike Ben, who is a direct descendant of the Skywalker line.

The fabled Skywalker light saber is broken in 2, to symbolize the end of the Skywalker reign. The boy at the very end, a prisoner/slave, uses the force, again to re-emphasize the force isnt relegated to a blood line, like some monarchy. It is freely open and available to anyone it chooses. For whatever reason, Rey is now the chosen one. She is where Luke and anakin were before her.