Star Wars: Episode VIII - The Last Jedi

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by eagc7, Jan 11, 2016.

1. Pharoid

Pharoid Time Traveling Robot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Oh I am not saying he is perfect. I am saying this is interesting.
    We have never had a SW villian strike out on his / their own before. Masterless Kylo and Hux make for a much more interesting story. How do they keep this together?
    Yes he looses it at the end but to Luke. Luke tailor-makes that scene to infuriate Ben so that, you know, the closing can play out that way. Luke plays him like a fucking violin.
    I am excited to see what happens next with Kylo BECAUSE of all those things. Because he can be so powerful and clever he also so manic and unhinged. I really enjoy the change and feeling on my heels for once in a SW flick.

• Like Like x 1
  2. ArmadaJetfire

ArmadaJetfire Yamato is go! ;D

When Luke gave him the "Every thing you said was wrong" line, you know Yoda was laughing like the little imp he was.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Pharoid

News Credits:
    The hilarious thing is the ending is such pitch perfect Luke it's amazing.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Pharoid

News Credits:
    100% correct. There is virtually no way he wasn't going to be forever compared to Palpatine. This was a brilliant move by Rian.

• Like Like x 1
  5. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Don't misunderstand me. I really liked everything they did with Kylo in this movie. Other than the Luke stuff, it was my favorite part of the movie. And I like the character. I'm just saying he's completely unfit to lead. He can lead soldiers, but he's fatally unequipped to lead a government. I mean, I guess you could say the same for Vader. If he had assassinated the Emperor and assumed leadership with Luke as his apprentice, everything would have fallen apart very quickly. Anakin just never had that kind of mind/aptitude, even if he had the ambition. But Kylo even less so.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Holy shit, I just realized Rian Johnson did that shitty Looper movie from a few years ago. No wonder this movie is so divisive.

• Like Like x 1
  7. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    But he also did the amazing movie, Brick. I didn't care much for Looper, but Brick instantly became one of my favorite movies of all-time. Might even squeak into my top 10.

• Like Like x 1
  8. aprim

aprim Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    lol I like looper!

• Like Like x 2
  9. Pharoid

News Credits:
    I know I love it for all those reasons. He is a deeply flawed character and Adam acts it so well. Kylo is going to spin-off the rails in such dramatic fashion but he is so immensely powerful he is going to cause so much chaos in the process, the future looks bright!

10. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Never saw Brick.

However, just because I loved Inception, The Prestige, and the first two Batman movies doesn't make Christopher Nolan a great director.

11. Pharoid

News Credits:
    Totally. Felt the same way about Brick and TLJ. Movie ends, Hold on I need a few minutes I am still processing what I watched.... In a great way.

12. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

I had that problem during the film, but the Yoda scene put it in perspective for me. Luke was always looking to the horizon instead of what was in front of him and in reviving the flawed teachings of the Jedi, that briefly led him to view Ben with the same suspicion and fear that old Jedi had for Anakin with much the same results. Hence his determination that the Jedi are a fundamentally flawed institution that needed to end, when really it just needs to grow beyond the past and accept both the true nature of the force and that the real importance is the hope it gave to others in the galaxy.

The Jedi order had thousands of years of knowledge and experience, yet ultimately still fucked it all up in the end. Luke was one dude taking on the whole burden of rediscovering the Jedi order, bringing it back from extinction and dealing with the terrible legacy of the previous generation. It's an impossible task and I don't have a problem with the notion that Luke came up short, he's just a man and not the infallible legend that the galaxy (and audience) wants him to be.

• Like Like x 5
  13. Pharoid

News Credits:
    Shitty?
    Looper

14. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    I agree with the point you're making, and like I said, in Johnson's case, I thought Looper was pretty bad. But with Nolan, holy cow, how many good movies does he have to make before you consider it a possibility he might be a good director? (And you didn't care for Memento?)

• Like Like x 1
  15. Pharoid

News Credits:
    Of course he only had the thought for a moment, a moment he never acted on it. And then felt shame and blamed himself for hurting his family, even though he didn't, also sounds like Luke. And Luke would never hunt down Kylo and murder him because that is not who he is..

• Like Like x 1
  16. VBBN

VBBN The Awakened

News Credits:
    I think what really bothered me most about this movie is Holdo. Why in the fuck did she not just tell Poe her plan? That would have meant Finn would never have needed to go to Canto Bight, they would have never met with the codebreaker who gave away the plan, and more Rebels would have survived- because in the end, they still abandoned ship, but a whole lot more people died. Especially if she already knew he was a hothead, she should have figured he would start doing things that could mess her plans up if she didn't tell him the plan.

• Like Like x 3
  17. Starfire22

Starfire22 :D

News Credits:
    This bugged me the most. Would have probably saved a lot of time in the middle of the film.

18. Switch625

Switch625 "Up, up, and away!"

Saw The Last Jedi last night and I’m sad to say I really didn’t like it. I will see it again so I can try to become more objective about it, but my initial reaction is not positive.

SPOILERS FROM THIS POINT FORWARD

When the Sequel Trilogy and the return of Luke, Han and Leia was announced, my first thought was, “I really hope they’re not bringing the Big 3 back just to systematically kill them off, one by one.” Because death is how the torch is passed in these movies. Then they killed Han. That one didn’t bother me so much because I knew that was probably a stipulation for Ford’s return. I expected it so when it happened I felt nothing.

Then Carrie passed away. I hope they recast rather than kill off her character offscreen. She could easily die from her injuries.

Then The Last Jedi happened. One of the things I have a problem with in this new trilogy is how over powered Rey and Kylo Ren are. Now we have them connecting through the Force from across the galaxy and having face to face conversations and somehow managing to get Kylo wet from Rey standing out in the rain. And then Luke uses a Force projection to “battle” Kylo Ren, which somehow ended up killing him. I just feel like calling BS on all that.

And that Yoda puppet. Just so very bad. Worse than the puppet they used in The Phantom Menace.

It just feels to me like they’re taking away everything that was accomplished in the OT, rehashing those stories and giving those accomplishments or outcomes to the new characters. For example:

- In Return of the Jedi, Luke brings Anakin back to the Light and he fulfills the prophecy and brings balance to the Force by killing Palpatine and then dying himself.
    - In The Force Awakens, Kylo Ren (another Skywalker/Vader) is in the service of Supreme Leader Snoke (another Emperor). While not Sith, they do practice the Dark Side of the Force.
    - In RotJ, the Rebellion finally defeats the Empire.
    - In TFA, the Resistance (another Rebellion) is fighting the First Order (another Empire).
    - In RotJ, Han and Leia get together.
    - In TFA, Han and Leia are not together.
    - In RotJ, Luke is the first of the new Jedi Order. At least I thought he was, maybe that’s the problem.
    - In TLJ, Rey is considered the first of the new Jedi Order and Luke the last of the old. Again, not the way I read the situation resulting from RotJ.

On a side note, I disliked the Canto Bight stuff. It just felt like a useless side mission to give Finn something to do since he couldn’t pal around with Rey. It might have been more interesting if he and Poe had gone off on the mission but I guess he had to stay behind to be a hothead and stuff.

And once again, Phasma contributed absolutely nothing.

In any case, I feel like Star Wars is moving on without me. That makes me sad, but I’ll still always have Episodes 1-6. As Mark Hamill said in an interview he had to realize the story wasn’t about his character anymore. It’s about the new generation. I guess after 40 years Star Wars isn’t my story anymore either.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
    • Like Like x 5
  19. MatrixOfWumbo

MatrixOfWumbo I see you

News Credits:
    I see down thread that this has been debunked, but both planets are in the Unknown Regions, so it does make some sense. What doesn't make so much sense is that the Empire could have mined out the core of either planet, since a navigable passage through the mess of wormholes and quazars that make up the Regions wasn't discovered until the final days of the war. (I also found a ton of useless trivia prior to this movie coming out).

I can do you one better though. In Rogue One, Chirrut tells Jynn that "The brightest stars have hearts of Kyber," a metaphor for the potential within her and the necklace she wore. But for that metaphor to make any sense, Kyber must naturally occur in a molten state inside some stars. Which means Starkiller's source of Kyber may actually come from the stars it drains rather than mining thousands of tons of crystals from old Jedi temples (the efforts of building two damn death stars likely severely depleting those during the Empire's reign).

20. Pharoid

News Credits:
    Lol it was the longest storyline ever just to have Poe learn to be a "leader". But it wasn't the Pod Race!