Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Haloid1177, Oct 30, 2012.

1. Hazekiah

Hazekiah Banned

News Credits:
    Not entirely sure about the context of your question.

In TFA, Vader's helmet was on his (Super?) Star Destroyer. Or w/e.

In RotJ, Vader's helmet was on the forest moon of Endor.

Like Luke's/Vader's lightsaber, it obviously found its way elsewhere in the intervening 30 or so years.

2. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    Ok, it was on the star destroyer and didn't get incinerated. Again. With Han :( .

Nabbed the 3D Blu-ray and saw it last night. There's some pretty good 3D there. Better than Trek into Darkness. Heck, even better than Trek Beyond.

I'll go so far as to say that I haven't seen 3D this good since Fury Road, and THAT was good 3D.

• Like Like x 1
  3. ABH1979

ABH1979 Veteran

4. Switch625

Switch625 "Up, up, and away!"

Well, after a year of rewatching TFA and really thinking about it, the shine has definitely worn off a bit. I just think it adds nothing new to the Saga and does, in fact, just rehash a lot of what people loved about the original trilogy. I think every decision that went into TFA was in response to all the negative feedback the Prequels got in an attempt to win back the fans. The entire movie now reeks of fan service. And bringing the original cast back just to start killing them off? Such a waste.

Now don't get me wrong, I still really like the movie, and I can't wait to see what happens in VIII. My feelings have just settled down and the rose colored glasses have come off. At the end of the day, the Prequels added so much more to the Saga than TFA did. And Rogue One is a better movie by miles.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Murasame

Murasame

News Credits:
    Only thing I did not like was Starkiller Base. Basically like the third Deathstar only bigger. I was sort of OK with the second Deathstar, but that's it. But then again: It's sort of more realistic. In cartoons the villains try something new every week. But revising old plans and try to make them work better is something that a real life villain would do. But having it destroyed already in the same movie renders the attempt void. Still, something different would have been nice. With the rest of the movie I was fine. Although I have been spoiled of the death of one main character.

Ah and the CGI squids looked bad. That was the second thing I did not like. But that's really it. :D 

• Like Like x 1
  6. Wolfguard

Wolfguard Your own personal Jesus.

That's interesting because it's not worn off for me, and my disdain for TPM and AOTC has increased with these new movies being released. Finally, the potential in this franchise is seeing the light of day again. I'm fine with TFA just being a character intro, rather than some "risk taking" endeavor. Like with Empire, I think the follow up is where they can do more and I'm content to wait for that. And TBH, the less of the original characters, the better - Han was my favorite from the OT, and I was 100% fine with how he went out, but if none of the 3 had been in it, that would have been acceptable.

• Like Like x 2
  7. GoLion

GoLion Banned

News Credits:
    I'm kind of in-between you and Switch. I thought the movie was good, but it was a tad too safe. It also felt like too much of a rehash. Still, it was amazing seeing the OG characters again. Plus, the new characters introduced were awesome.

With all that said, if they do a rehash of Empire with the next Star wars, i'm going to punch-out. They have to do something new. Otherwise, people will complain about these movies just being unimaginative algorithmic rehash shlock.

Rogue one was a MASSIVE step in the right direction. It felt far more original than FA.

• Like Like x 1
  8. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

I think TFA does a lot worse than just playing it safe. The few areas where it doesn't play it safe are negatives. Virtually everything that was accomplished in Return of the Jedi has been undone in a single film, including the literal return of the Jedi. Luke's new generation of Jedi? All dead. The new Republic? It just went boom. Vader's sacrifice brought balance to The Force? Evidently not. Han an Leia finally got together? Well it didn't work out. All that effort spent rescuing Han from Jabba the Hutt? Well he just wasted his life after that, and now he's dead anyway. This was the Alien 3 of Star Wars.

And does any of that really make the series better? Is a fanservice-powered Star Wars revival really better off if Han never actually gets to meet up with Luke again? If the Jedi academy everyone wanted to see gets destroyed offscreen before we ever get to see it? If the entire OT basically just cancelled itself out?

• Like Like x 1
  9. ABH1979

ABH1979 Veteran

To be fair, any version of an Episode VII would have to undo some of the happy-time, celebration, balance-of-the-force that was the ending of ROTJ. I mean, this is Star Wars, and there's no reason to return to this galaxy when there isn't a large space conflict happening.

Would it have been nice to see Luke's Jedi before they were slaughtered? Sure, but it would have been nice to have seen that much sooner after ROTJ, and Lucas wanted prequels and didn't sell to Disney until much later. The Episode VII that we got was largely because of how much lapsed time there was between it and VI. That time between those two movies was a relative time of peace, and again, while it was still about the STARs, it wouldn't really deliver on the WARS bit.

• Like Like x 1
  10. DrGrim

DrGrim OBEY

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    After watching rogue one and returning to the days of the empire last night, I got to thinking. How is the First Order funded? The Empire came from the Republic and had it's resources. But the empire fell. So the First Order is essentially just a hate group, like ISIS, rather than the Empire who were like the Nazis. So where did the First Order get so much resources at their disposal that they could an even bigger weapon than even the empire?

11. ABH1979

ABH1979 Veteran

I haven't read any of the supplemental books, but I imagine they still had Imperial resources at their disposal, specifically in that area of First Order occupied space. Now, I don't know how they would have the shipyards and workers/technicians to create (or modify) all of the First Order ships, armor, weapons, from the Imperial remnants, but I guess they had enough support to make it happen, eventually.

12. flamepanther

There are lots of ways to introduce new conflict. They almost had the right idea with the First Order being a natural progression of a surviving splinter group of Imperial loyalists. But having that turn into a serious threat didn't require any of the backpedaling TFA did. They had a wide open canvas where they could move forward into a new conflict in any number of ways. But they only had enough creativity to roll everything backwards to where we were in 1977.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Switch625

Switch625 "Up, up, and away!"

The development with Luke is particularly disappointing. Not just the fact that Kylo Ren wiped out his students, but the fact that after that Luke just WALKED AWAY. That is not the Luke Skywalker I have known for the last 40 years. I can only hope Episode VIII makes some sense out of all that.

14. Mark

Mark Just here for the toys

Haven't seen Rogue One yet (darn kids) but I largely agree about TFA. Didn't Abrams admit the story was essentially reused in order to bring back fans who didn't like the prequels?

Very good points. Kind of reminds me of a negative Rogue One review I saw (https://newrepublic.com/article/139303/rogue-one-force-fails-awaken) , where the reviewer says it lacks the cheerfulness of TFA. I'm like - wait what movie did he see? What part if TFA was the most cheerful - where 6 or 7 planets were destroyed? Or how bout when Han was killed by his son? Or when a village was slaughtered? Or maybe the talk about that same son murdering all of the young new Jedi?

15. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

I hated that they literally had to make a Skywalker Vader lite to "make star wars great again."

Cool looking character design, but the best back story they could.give him was being solos son and Luke's failed pupil. I knew it was coming when watching it in the theater, but it still didn't stop me from rolling my eyes.

• Like Like x 1
  16. flamepanther

I don't think he ever said it that explicitly. It was something like "we had to go backwards in order to go forward" or something equally trite.

17. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Probably all the more upbeat and comedic moments you deliberately neglected to mention to try and make a counterpoint to a complaint you didn't really seem to acknowledge.

It's not that TFA had no dark moments and only light-hearted moments, it's that it had a healthy mix of both and not just one. Because there is such a thing as a middle ground, despite what fans routinely decide to ignore, and insist there be only one extreme or another. A movie does not have to be black and white when it comes to tone. In fact, doing so usually hurts a movie more. You don't feel the gravity of dark moments if there's no levity, and you don't feel invested in a film that has no stakes or sense of a threat.

18. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:

• Like Like x 2
  19. ABH1979

ABH1979 Veteran

Heh, the bits with Chewie were the best.

20. Incepticon

Incepticon |-+-|

News Credits:
    Okay, I legit laughed out loud several times at that one. The Chewie & Leia ones were GOLD.