Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by eagc7, Jan 12, 2016.

1. Rusty24

Rusty24 Well-Known Member

If these were made like Indiana Jones movies, I’d assume they’d be saving one of the worst death scenes for Hux. However, this is Disney’s franchise now, so I doubt we’ll get something on the level of a face melting or rapid aging scene. Then again, they did have a guy go through a propeller in TLJ, so maybe there’s hope.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Pharoid

Pharoid Time Traveling Robot

News Credits:
    I realty didn’t like the mom joke but he acted it well. Hux is such an over-inflated ponce watching him introduce hilnself is great. At least for all the FO rips-off the Empire we get a different kind of villain in Hux.

He sure seems like he is heading for a Kylo related death.

• Like Like x 2
  3. SharkyMcShark

SharkyMcShark Hi. I'm better than you

News Credits:
    I believe the idea there was that it was more or less an interactive hologram, as opposed to an actual sentient being. Could be a way to bring Palpatine back I suppose, if you're so inclined. We've yet to see a holocron in a star wars cinematic release.

I'm not convinced it would add anything, at all.

I've never understood the ire for this. There's a history of protagonists in these films being jackasses over comms to delay the bad guy (well, Han Solo did it that one time).

I'm assuming, given that it's JJ Abrams writing and directing, that he'll die as the Defo Not The Death Star But Again blows up at the end of the film.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Pharoid

News Credits:
    It’s a way to not let the past die.

In terms of Force powers it’s a great way to pass knowledge to the current generation. Good McGuffin.
    For world-building it can link a lot of different times lines and allow a force user’s teachings to live on indefinitely.
    Plus it’s been one of those EU things that made it into all the other mediums I want them in the movies. It’s just a fun idea.

5. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    ¿Que?

:lol  I know, right? I'm not quite sure why he rustles my jimmies so much. I do think he's a one-dimensional, poorly written character, so there's that. I really hate the chest-thumping vein-throbbing fanaticism too. I guess I can't help but compare him unfavorably to Tarkin, who was obviously also evil, but very cool and businesslike about it. Whenever Hux is on screen, regardless of what he's actually saying, I feel like he wants to be saying "Look how EEEEEVIL I am!"

Shoulda gotten stuffed in a locker in junior high and left to suffocate in there. Waste of flesh. I hate his hat too. :lol 

PREACH.

Probably my most hated scene in that movie. Did not bode well for the next ninety minutes of my life, or whatever.

Ohh, this is my dream, that Kylo takes him out. I hope he beats him to death, bare-handed. Uses the Dark Side to keep from getting tired or hurting his hands. Also uses it to keep Hux conscious through the whole thing so he doesn't pass out from the pain. Just have that going on through the whole film. Cut away to Rey whenever necessary, then cut back to ever more bloody and broken Hux.

This will give me reason to genuinely like Kylo, too, so it's win-win. :thumb 

Proof that Lucas is a better writer than... umm... who wrote TLJ again?

6. SharkyMcShark

SharkyMcShark Hi. I'm better than you

News Credits:
    I mean specifically as regards to a Palpatine facsimile appearing to Kylo in Ep9. As above, outside of fan service I don't think it would add anything. He's already been seduced to the dark side and be wants to stay there. He doesn't need any more convincing. That's why I think it would be much more powerful to have either Anakin or Luke appear to him.

Rian Johnson did. I'm not sure how this proves anything.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Pharoid

News Credits:
    Well I think he is a one-dimensional character but there are plenty of real life one-dimensional people walking around. And I don’t think Hux thinks he’s evil. He’s a fanatic who believes he’s righteous, clearly in his mind he’s doing God’s work. If they went with a mature, pragmatic, measured Empire it would have been so pointless. Making the FO young, crazy fanboy fanatics was a more interesting choice. He isn’t Tarkin, he’s Tarkin’s biggest fan, Hux wacks off to pictures of Tarkin and wants to be him and pay the universe back for killing him. (I am using Tarkin as a proxy for the Empire here)

You’re right it would make more sense than Palpatine. I am not sure Kylo wants to stay on the Dark side so much as he is trying to move beyond good and evil. He rejected the Jedi and now he is rejecting Snoke’s Darkside. He is trying to be something different to move beyond the past. He is just very ill equipped to do so. He is very powerful and very broken. It’s the main reason I like TLJ so much, it’s a new thing.

8. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Oh, I thought he just directed it. What I mean is, that scene with Han in ANH is actually funny and entertaining, whereas the similar scene in TLJ is drawn-out and tiresome and not at all funny. Could just be me. Also it involves Hux, I think I'm on the books as disliking him, now.

I can see all that, I'm just not entertained by it. *shrugs*

9. VictoryLeo19

VictoryLeo19 Well-Known Member

I still don't get why people think Kylo Ren will die. He IS the main character. Rey was a red herring the whole time. This entire trilogy is about Ben Solo.

10. Pharoid

News Credits:

A314A451-D200-4B74-BB56-F2693453A252.gif

11. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    The plot thickens indeed........

• Like Like x 1
  12. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:

Like the original trilogy was about anakin and he still died ?

13. VictoryLeo19

The initial SIX movies were about Anakin. But yea, I see your point. All NINE movies thus far are about the skywalker lineage/bloodline. Ben Solo is the last one. He could die, but that would necessitate Rey getting pregnant with his child. I could see that happening. It would be fast for one film though.

14. Purple Heart

Purple Heart Some other time..

News Credits:
    The thought of that just makes me uncomfortable. The thought of him using the force to impregnate her is even worse.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Starfire22

Starfire22 :D

News Credits:
    Agreed.

• Like Like x 3
  16. Purple Heart

Purple Heart Some other time..

News Credits:
    Like, I’m not a person who gets morally disgusted by a lot of things. I have a very dark sense of humor, but thats just wrong, and it’s certainely not something that needs to be in a story wars movie as a main focus. I understand that it was recently retconned that Palpatine did the same thing to Anakin’s mom, but that wasn’t him directly using the force to impregnate someone he knew, she just randomly got pregnant and saw it as a gift. Palpatine also at least acted like a normal person during most of the PT, Kylo has put himself into irredeemable bastard territory, so it’s just gross. There is no way he can get Rey pregnant that isn’t gross.

God, I wish TLJ wasn’t a thing. Not because Rose Tico, not because it’s new, but because it just fucked everything up.

• Like Like x 3
  17. Rusty24

Rusty24 Well-Known Member

Yeah, let’s leave Force rape (and that’s not even like a metaphor or exaggeration because that’s essentially what it would be) out of the main movies. Not only would it be creepy and weird, it would also just feel too much like a soap opera. At that point, you might as well rename the series to “Guiding Lightsabers.”

• Like Like x 3
  18. Pharoid

News Credits:
    I think you’re missing a few ideas that Disney has been trying convey with the subtlety of Godzilla smashing the fandom with a building-size hammer.

1) Women are relevant e.i. “The Force is Female”. Rey is not a “red herring” she is as important as Kylo. If they turned her around and made her a secondary character to Kylo it would fly in the face of everything they’ve done and infuriate people.

2) Disney is breaking SW off the Skywalker bloodline because it’s important to do. Practically it makes no sense to tie the brand to one bloodline, alone. But more importantly SW isn’t about the importance of a genetic bloodline. It’s about family and it’s about people and good and evil and everything, “life.” Making SW about Luke’s bloodline and the Skywalker linage alone flies in the face of everything Lucas was trying to tell us about us. Lucas intended us to see ourselves in Luke an be inspired to greatness; Not to worship the Skywalker bloodline like some fucked up royal linage. Luke is putting the Force back in the hands of the many not in the hands of the Sith / Few

***The force baby thing is about as insane an idea as i’ve heard and if Disney can field that concept in this social environment it would make me question reality.

Or it fixed the brand in an important way by opening the plot up to new stories and new characters. Otherwise we’re stuck in a trap of making movies about Luke and Leia’s kids and just continually romanticizing the lineage.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  19. VictoryLeo19

So the implication it that only the 9th movie will not perpetuate the Skywalker bloodline? Possible, but I doubt it.

Women's rights and the Skywalker bloodline are not mutually exclusive. Rey having no royal or significant lineage is exactly the point. Rey came from nothing. Ben's parents were both generals, his mother was a princess of one world, his grandmother a queen of another, and his grandfather the most feared and revered Jedi/Sith Lord in recent memory. The force, without the balance of Jedi and Sith, bubbled to the surface two extremely gifted force users: Rey and Ben. If Disney breaks tradition and abandons that, then that's fine, but I suspect they will produce a baby, and likely a girl.

20. VictoryLeo19

Uhh....what? I was thinking more along the lines of a normal relationship.

How did you guys all jump to force impregnation so fast?

Is it because of that recent stupid comic showing Palpatine and anakins mom?

That's really stupid. Like really, really stupid.

• Like Like x 2