Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by eagc7, Jan 12, 2016.

1. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    And perhaps he had forced uh force sex :D 

2. Pharoid

Pharoid Time Traveling Robot

News Credits:
    Yeah like when Anakin takes the name Darth Vader or when Ben takes the name Kylo Ren. Taking names in SW is so unusual. You tried super hard on this one.

3. optimusmegas

optimusmegas Target-Power-Titan-Prime-Battle-Master

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    well there's this:
    with vader and kylo there's "traditions" of sorts behind the name change. with jedi there isn't. there's no reason for her to not carve out her own legacy as her own hero not just another skywalker but simply taking the name for herself. she could have even redeemed her actual family name the way luke did his.

• Like Like x 2
  4. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Leave it to Disney to not know the difference between Jedi and Sith.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Pharoid

News Credits:
    Luke has a family attachment to his name he was raised a Skywalker by his uncle. Rey was not raised a Palpatine. Why would she embrace a twisted psycho in the same way Luke embraced what was good about Anakin and the good life he had on the moisture farm. That makes no sense. There is nothing positive about Palpatine to either embrace or redeem. The only family Rey had was the Skywalkers. And there are no Skywalkers left to carry the name. And I think you mentioned Finn before who also gets his name from the Resistance his new “family.” These kids movies are so complicated and hard to follow.

Also there are no Jedi traditions anymore they got killed.

6. optimusmegas

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    rey wasn't raised a skywalker either...a few months or whatever the timeline is of training doesn't equal raising. no one needs to carry on the skywalker name.

finn gets a first name he's not gifted the last name of a famous hero...it's a little different. i know kids movies are hard to follow...

also there are jedi traditions. the books survive as well as the traditions. they just need to be passed along which they are. even if the jedi are killed that doesn't mean traditions and values of the culture cease to be. they still existed.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Pharoid

News Credits:
    Yes Rey chose to be a “Skywalker” and carry on the name and traditions of the Jedi in so much as the core values and texts. There is no council, and the Jedi won’t look like the Republic Era again.

Finn isn’t a Jedi hero... yet. Why would he take on a Jedi’s name. His new family, Poe gives him a name. Just like Rey. Is there something in the Jedi texts that says she can’t take a name? What do the Jedi texts have to do with names?

• Like Like x 1
  8. optimusmegas

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    rey could just be rey. she doesn't need to take the skywalker name at all. she could make her own destiny not take someone else's. instead she's a video game character collecting legendary loot.

finn doesn't need a jedi's hero's name. he's just finn...he's as much a hero during this as poe and rey were but he's not christened finn antilles or finn calrissian or something like that.

• Like Like x 4
  9. Chopperface

Chopperface Chadwick Forever

News Credits:
    Oh I was just joking to be honest. Palpatine was indeed already the Senate despite Mace’s “not yet”, I was just being silly.

10. Pharoid

News Credits:
    I agree she could just go her own way, she could do a whole myriad of things, she could decide to become a spice trader. However she chose to be a Skywalker which makes sense in-story for several reasons.

1) Rey’s search for her family
    2) Leia’s loss of her child
    3) Luke’s transition from Master to Legend. “Skywalker” is larger than life now in-universe.

All of these story points make Rey’s becoming a “Skywalker” by choice, replacing the lost Skywalker child, replacing the lost Jedi, completely logical in context. As I’ve said to you on numerous occasions it’s completely normal to not like things but when you act like you can’t follow a simple story... what can one say about that? Willful ignorance I guess.

• Like Like x 1
  11. JazzIsBack

JazzIsBack Well-Known Member

Only issue I had with this movie is if you had Jackson and Niesan and McGregor etc. on set for their brief lines would it been so hard to have them in wardrobe as force spirits?

• Like Like x 1
  12. Pharoid

News Credits:
    It would have been so much better with Force Ghost Jedi. It would have made bringing back Palpatine more meaningful. They were there but if we saw them I would have been much happier.

13. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    The original idea was to have everyone appear as Force Ghosts, but that wouldn't fly in China so they brought it down to just voices.

• Like Like x 1
  14. optimusmegas

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    china ruins everything

• Like Like x 4
  15. jala12

jala12 Fiery Adventurer

This would be really shitty if it were true. But do we know if there's any legitimacy to this claim? Luke is in the movie and he's as ghosty looking as they come.

16. VictoryLeo19

VictoryLeo19 Well-Known Member

That would have been awesome to see all of them as Force ghosts. I think that would have made the movie that
    Much better too. I wonder why China disagreed with that concept, is it the use of ghost/spiritual imagery maybe?

17. dinobot1

dinobot1 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The only "source" for that was an anonymous post from a controversial sub-reddit that absolved the people they liked (Abrams) and demonized the ones they despised (Kennedy). Everything from that post was thoroughly disproved by people in the business. The force ghosts not being allowed in China alone don't hold any water since we see multiple force ghosts in the movie itself.

• Like Like x 1
  18. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Old

News Credits:
    Are we still arguing about a movie inspired by serials from the 1940’s and created by a committee owned by a company that only cares about profit? Carry on.

19. Wolfguard

Wolfguard Your own personal Jesus.

This is what I was hoping for with her character. I really didn't want to see anyone from the OT in the ST at all. Now feeling this 100 times more...forever.

:mad: 

• Like Like x 1
  20. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave Bounty Hunter

News Credits:
    Although the guy who accurately leaked the plot claims they actually filmed the Force Ghosts. That was his original claim, he said they changed it to voices later. He was accurate about everything else, so I don't disbelieve him.

The China thing definitely came from an unreliable source. But I could easily see that being the reason. I still find it suspicious that Yoda wasn't transparent in TLJ. I'm sure China is definitely on Lucasfilm's radar. Although it's possible that it was just changed to not distract from Rey.