Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by eagc7, Jan 12, 2016.

1. Fenrys

Fenrys Formerly Tigatron2002

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    im just going to make one comment on how ludicrous this system is and then im done with this line of the conversation, because again it ultimately will lead nowhere

if a creators comments OUTSIDE of canon sources are indeed canon, then as far as J.K. Rowling is concerned every single person that has read a harry potter book or watched a harry potter movie is gay, simply because she made the comment that she always envisioned the reader as gay. authorial intent is a good measure of what a writer was thinking, however unless it is actually presented in the body of works it ultimately can't really be treated as canon. what if george made an offhand comment while drunk that jabba was han's uncle? would that be canon?

that would actually have the potential to be a pretty awesome movie

2. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    I love this so much, I'm making it my signature.

• Like Like x 2
  3. backhawkdown

backhawkdown Well-Known Member

I have no doubt we likely find a tremendous amount of common ground if discussing thus verbally; this is just flaw of forum posting.

• Like Like x 2
  4. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

That's an absurd comparison, because the reader isn't part of Rowling's story. Even if she wrote in one of her books, "by the way, you, the reader, are gay" that wouldn't make it true. So that has nothing to do with whether or not she said it in a canonical source.

It's also a silly concern, because the old canon made allowances for things George changed his mind on or said in jest. Ultimately, it doesn't matter what your personal issues with the system are, because it was what it was, regardless of what you think it should be. You're welcome to believe the author's opinion doesn't matter, but guess whose matters even less?

• Like Like x 2
  5. Fenrys

Fenrys Formerly Tigatron2002

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    agreed, much easier to articulate and share ideas when its not in text haha

at this point my opinion, yours and george lucas' all matter about the same

• Like Like x 1
  6. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I find it hilarious that GD is discussing the new film and the thread for said film is discussing the general lore.

• Like Like x 6
  7. Gaastra

Gaastra Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  8. flamepanther

w3hUyFC.gif

• Like Like x 4
  9. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave Bounty Hunter

News Credits:
    A few more thoughts, after sleeping on it...

Do Tie Fighters just have hyperdrive now?

At the beginning, those First Order Ties are able to jump to lightspeed to follow The Falcon. And I have no clue how they even follow the Falcon through lightspeed...I thought only the Star Destroyer with the tracker could do that, and that ship was destroyed.

And later, Ben goes to Exegol in an old Imperial Tie...those definitely didn't have hyperdrive.

Another thing I really don't like is that everyone's a superhero now. Not just Rey, although she's ridiculously powerful here (at least they attempted to explain it). But everyone can hit perfect bulls-eyes, and they just know any information they need to at any given moment. Star Wars used to feel grounded, and the characters felt like people who struggle to accomplish their mission. That's one reason I've always preferred Star Wars over superhero media. There's no tension or suspense here, it's like watching a video game cutscene, the characters are never in real danger because of how effortlessly defeat everything. Aside from a certain scene with Kylo, which was probably one of the better scenes in the movie.

I appreciate the attempt to explain Rey's extreme powers (I guess they sort of had to explain it after the other movies), but it felt contrived. I guess she and Kylo are some sort of Force super beings? Possibly because of their heritage? Or maybe they were some sort of "Chosen One"-esque beings? Oh, and I guess she's been training under Leia. The movie seemed to offer multiple explanations, all of which were vague. In trying to explain her unrealistic abilities, they ironically made her even more ridiculously overpowered. It feels like the same complaint people make about Superman. He can do anything, to the point that it can lack tension. Although Superman is defined by his charismatic personality and sense of morality just as much as his power set. After three movies, I still don't feel like I know Rey as a character very well. She just feels like a vessel for cool stuff to happen.

Lando showing up with thousands of spaceships is a joke. When did he have time to talk to all those individuals, and rally them into an army? That implication in laughable, even by Star Wars logic. It might have been better to just have him show up with a few really big ships. And they didn't even do anything creative with that fleet. We didn't get to see any of the pilots. Would it have been that hard to include a montage of cockpit shots? Maybe some familiar faces alongside some new pilots? Maybe sneak in The Mandalorian or even Boba Fett? They skimped on fanservice at the one moment that called for it. If you want your "Portals" moment, you have to go all the way. This is like "Portals", but if everyone were generic SHIELD agents.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Heliblade

Heliblade Autobot Vigilante of Kaon

So is this canon now?

• Like Like x 3
  11. backhawkdown

12. gregles

gregles quintesson

Competent storytelling, cinematography and acting kept it head and shoulders above the dreadful prequels and it seemed at its best whilst it was finding its feet but the finale felt like a particularly hallow spectacle to me and without a genuine or interesting threat to hold our attention.

So many aspects of this movie felt like they was glossed over with nostalgia, familiarity, convenience and predictability to appease the toxic haters of the last Jedi.

I’m not saying the last Jedi was perfect or anything as it had that awkward side quest that messed with the pace but so many aspects of this movie compare unfavourably like for example the light sabre fight and showdown in supreme leader Snokes throne room trounced any light sabre fights in this movie. The drama and unpredictability of the Snoke showdown outclassed the rather disappointing showdown with the Emperor. The threat in the last Jedi felt more grounded and genuine so the victories felt hard-won and genuinely heroic rather than just a load of convoluted plot armour and Jedi/Sith magic saving the day.

Kylo Ren for me is one of the strongest things about this trilogy but I felt like we didn’t get enough of him in this movie as he was getting sidelined by the bland guy in a dress and the way his storyline ended felt abrupt and dumb to me.

I know this movie had a disadvantage of it having to have a happy ending but they could have played it slightly less safely and gave some more ambiguity to these characters.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  13. kraven

kraven Decepticon

So after seeing it, and absolutely loving it, I’ve been reading into the criticisms and have to say... I always give people the benefit of the doubt but I’m truly thinking that people are just picking it apart for the sake of fitting in. The more I read, the more ridiculous it’s getting and I think that might be so that people can try to add something to the conversation. I swear I wouldn’t be surprised to see a comment like, “and rey having 12 rocks floating around!? Even Yoda could only ever levitate 10, wtf!” Even the positive reviews mostly all sound the same, “I liked it, it was fun, but not perfect by any means, like when....”. It’s like they’re afraid to just like it. Or even if they do say they liked it, it’s like they feel obligated to mention how other movies were terrible.
    So idk, for anyone that needs to hear this; it’s ok to like things! Even when it feels like it’s not the cool thing to do. It doesn’t matter what internet people think. Even in person when I meet a representative of the internet echo chamber, if you just speak your mind, they’ll usually be baffled at first but almost always end up rolling over. So have fun and enjoy yourself.
    Of course also feel free to pick it apart and take part in all that if that’s what makes you happy. And to be fair when I first saw The Force Awakens, I didn’t really like it. In fact, I went home and said that Star Wars was dead now and that it is basically well done fan fiction at this point. So I’m sure there were people out there that thought I was crazy, and that’s fair. I have since had a change of heart with TFA so maybe people will come around with this one. Idk, I thought The Rise of Skywalker was perfect and I just can’t relate with any criticisms I’ve read so far.

• Like Like x 4
  14. Dark Skull

Dark Skull Well-Known Enabler Veteran

News Credits:
    Well....he wasn't exactly "dead" there...so I guess :lolol 

• Like Like x 4
  15. backhawkdown

Probably best to address specific criticisms you disagree with rather than simply ad hominem the reviewers by questioning their motives, lest you believe it would be rational for anyone who disagrees with you to question your motives in liking it.

• Like Like x 4
  16. kraven

kraven Decepticon

Yeahhh but where will that get me? I’m not trying to argue or have to explain myself. As I said, my comment was just a, “if anyone need to hear this amongst the sea of negativity, it’s ok to enjoy it” thought.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Wrecker217

Wrecker217 There's a 50 character limit to titles. Now you kn

News Credits:
    I wanted Ben to find Vader's lightsaber and purity it as he fixed a Tie on the Death Star. something like after his talk with Han, as he's doing the repairs, Ben hears something calling to him down the hall, finds the saber, and is almost corrupted by the darkness in the saber like Cal in Fallen Order did since it's been through more hell than Trilla did. Ben Solo fights the personified Dark side of his subconscious, who has taken the form Kylo Ren, which is slowly becoming more and more like Vader, but then the spirit of Anakin joins him in defeating the Dark Skywalker. partly a poetic rhyme to Rey finding the Graflex and so we don't have that ugly Leia saber at the end.

it's a dumbass idea but we already have Palpatine living still so why the hell not. I still enjoyed the movie and him having that final talk.

• Like Like x 2
  18. setsuna

setsuna Well-Known Member

thats fair, I feel TROS is the most forced SW film to date IMO

Heres mine

ROTS
    ANH
    ROGUE ONE
    AOTC
    ESB
    ROTJ
    TPM
    SOLO
    CW FILM (it counts)
    TLJ
    TFA
    TROS

I wonder why they chose Adi Galia but left out Shaak ti? Galia didnt have that many lines, guess neither did Shaak ti
    Probably availability at the time...

Also no Ezra, so hes still alive???

was rlly hoping for a ghost Anakin half Vader when Rey was in Kylos room. She cudve had a vision of vader/anakin by touching the helmet

19. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

Nope. You comment was a not-at-all-subtly statement that people who don't enjoy or don't like the movie don't do this on their own but instead they're following what's trendy.

Gods forbid people were actually acting upon their own tastes and agency.

• Like Like x 5
  20. flamepanther

It's always okay to enjoy things. It doesn't require blanket dismissal of other people's opinions--let alone their motivations for even having and expressing opinions--to justify your disagreement or enjoyment.

The "pile on" or "bandwagon effect" is a thing that exists, but unless you have specific evidence that it's happening (as Mike Klimo did for the Prequels) and you want to actually discuss that, then it's best not to even start.

• Like Like x 2