Star Wars: Clone Wars (TV series) - Discussion

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Prowl, Oct 2, 2008.

1. Hotshotprime43

Hotshotprime43 Well-Known Member

Although i doubt there will be another season but if there is then maybe Sidious will make Maul stand in as Dooku's "apprentice" so that there will be "two" known to the Jedi. That will just make it look like Dooku is in charge even more and can be assumed to be the other sith at the time of episode 1

2. Switch625

Switch625 "Up, up, and away!"

I agree. It would also take away from Anakin's redemption, which has been the point of the entire Saga thus far.

3. Scrapper6

Scrapper6 Lord of Constructicons

There's one thing still bothering me from the Season (Possibly Series Finale, though I could have sworn we had confirmation that Season Six was a go.), namely... Why exactly did Barriss signal out Ahsoka as the blind to protect her from being discovered?

I mean granted Barriss was close friends with Ahsoka so perhaps she knew how to manipulate her the best, however it still strikes me as odd that amongst all the Jedi she would signal out Ahsoka specifically to cover her tracks. Mostly because there hasn't been any interaction between the two of them since the Brain Worm incident as far as I can recall.

It's just nagging at me that, Palpatine finds himself with a rather convenient coincidence, not only does Barriss Offee engineer Ahsoka's leaving Anakin's side, thus freeing the way for his eventual manipulation and coercion of his new Apprentice, but at the same time the events set in motion have planted seeds of political suicide for the Jedi Order. (Paving the way for Order 66 to be a perfectly accepted outcome for most of the senate.)

I can't help feeling that somehow Palpatine, omniscient manipulator that he is, engineered the entire disatisfaction of the Jedi Order in Barriss and convinced her to signal out Ahsoka as the target of her manipulations.

In a way there is a lot more to tell here than just what we've seen, a lot more, because the questions of who the traitor was did not answer specifically why she fell from grace in the first place or how it came to be that she chose Ahsoka of all Jedi to be the scapegoat. Especially considering she must have had other friends in the Jedi Order who were more frequently at the temple and more frequently interacted with.

This is the inherrant flaw of disjointed timelines and events in a television series I supose, should Clone Wars continue they could just as easily produce more episodes with Barriss and Ahsoka together thus placing them chronologically prior to the events at the end of this season, thus helping to explain further why Ahsoka was signalled out by Barriss and all that. As of right now though there is a huge disconnect between the two characters that just seems oddly out of place for everything going on here.

The way Admiral Tarkin behaved and acted in this story arc, I have to wonder if he secretly wasn't behind the events himself in some small way, under Palpatine's orders perhaps or something. After all Tarkin is Force Sensitive if memory serves and it's possible he is well aware that Sidious and Palpatine are the same man. Why else would Tarkin be placed so highly as to be in charge of the Death Star once Episode IV comes around.

The more I think about it the more I really like the idea that Tarkin is some sort of schemer and manipulator behind the scenes, a tool of Palpatine's as it were. It would certainly be nice to see something like that come about in Season Six, provided this series continues. And I fervently hope it does, because Disney would be utterly insane to cancel something that so obviously can lead to more moneymaking millions.

4. Starfire22

Starfire22 :D

News Credits:
    Yeah, that's what I was referring to.

What tipped me off about that was ventress mentioning that "her master abandoned her". (Because in the comics, her master was killed)

Also, does anybody notice in this story arc, the republic army's slow transition to becoming an empire?

5. Barricade24

Barricade24 The Decepticop

News Credits:
    I can't say I really liked Tim Curry as Palpatine I don't think he fit the character very well.

Anyway I don't think this is the season finally either because I know for a fact that the season 5 trailer had Commander Thorn in it and I am pretty sure he will show up in some point. But I will agree that if it were the last season, it would work pretty well.

I'll admit I didn't think it was Bariss at first. I remember a deleted scene from ROTS where she got squashed by an AT-TE leg. I would have really liked to have seen Luminarua's response to this.

This definitely leaves some development room for Ahsoka though.

6. Lord Shockwave

Lord Shockwave Well-Known Member

This is the series finale for sure, at least in a widely televised format. There might be a pay-per-view kind of set up or web series to finish up loose threads, but given that Disney is pulling Clone Wars figures from the shelves and has stopped production and development of Clone Wars toys, I'd say there's no greater sign than that that Disney is done with CW and wants to focus on the next three movies.

7. godotislate

godotislate B Gata H Kei

News Credits:
    Even if Season 6 scripts aren't being or haven't been pushed into production, I believe there's still a couple of produced episodes with Rush Clovis and Embo that didn't make it into the season 5 schedule.

8. Soundwave2

Soundwave2 Excitement! My Style!!!

News Credits:
    Don't forget the Boba Fett and Cad Bane team up episode. With animation, there's no way they don't have at least a third of the episodes for season 6 already nearing completion by this time, so worst case scenario, at least there'll still be a few episodes left to be seen.

Whether they're blu-ray bonus's or YouTube leaked, we will still them.

9. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've pretty much lost track of what this show has been doing. Sometime during season 3 I kind of lost interest and haven't paid too much attention outside of the stray episode here and there. I did catch the season 5 finale, and it's inspired me to rewatch the entire series from beginning to current ep.

So I'm 8 episodes in (10 as of copying and pasting this). Just finished watching the one where Jar Jar is mistaken for a Jedi. Highlight of the episode was the awesome Crab Droid. I hope those things show up again somewhere in the series. Anyway, I'm already seeing what this show's problem is. It's a plot-centric show instead of a character-centric one.

So we get lots of plot-driven stories, and we get to see how the characters react to those plots. And thankfully the characters are likable enough as is at the start of the show, that I'm willing to stick it out and see what happens to them. But after 8 episodes, I couldn't tell you anything about Anakin or Ahsoka (or anyone really) aside from:

- They're good soldiers/Jedis.

- They look out for each other.

- They trade little barbs back and forth, but its clear its not meant in a hurtful manner. They all understand they're just joking.

- Anakin and Ahsoka are both a tad wreckless and take risks.

And yeah. So they're decent characters right off the bat. But so far, I couldn't tell you what any of them likes to do in their spare time. What their likes and dislikes are beyond "I hate battle droids. I like not being shot at by battle droids."
    Their personal goals, wants and desires don't factor into the show as of yet. Their wants and desires have been simplified to "We want to win this battle," or "Save others," or "Get out alive."

Plot-centric stories can work, just as character-centric stories can fail. I've heard a few people complain that James Roberts TF comic is too character-centric and the plot is going nowhere (same issue I had with Costa's run).

Personally, I tend to prefer a character-centric story. The plot's gotta move along at a good pace too, of course, but if I don't know the characters and have no investment in them, then the plot tends to not matter.

Right now, I'm totally in love with the new TMNT cartoon. Within 10 episodes (or less), the turtles, April and Splinter were infused with so much personality and character, that I'm always excited to see the next episode just for them. The fact that the plot is moving along nicely also helps, but damn if the turtles haven't sold me on that show. I can tell you all about what they like and don't like beyond "We don't like bad guys. We like to beat up bad guys." They actually have lives outside of crime fighting!!

With Star Wars, it's kinda hard since the whole show revolves solely around the war. Still, they do have some nice little character interactions here and there. But at this point in the show, I still don't feel like I know anything about the main characters other than what I already listed above. Fortunately, they are likable, and I'm still interested in seeing how they develop over the next 5 seasons.

This is the unfortunate side-effect of having plot-driven stories as opposed to charater-driven ones. The plot demands that there be a traitor. That traitor must also be a Jedi. Among all the Jedi we know from the series, Barriss was both absent from Episode 3 and a close friend of Ahsoka's, so she was cast as the traitor regardless if it fit her character or not. Her being the traitor was likely done for maximum emotional impact (Ahsoka finding out her once-friend set her up for murder is sure to hit her hard), but the development of Barriss as a character, including her disillusion with the Jedi Order, apparently all happened off-screen (I say apparently, because I've missed the last 2 seasons and don't know for sure).

10. Dormamu

Dormamu I am Broot.

News Credits:
    Soooo.....Ahsoka is setup for murder, and nearly gets herself a blindfold and cigarette ending, but Anakin goes and whacks an entire tribe of Sandpeople and no one blinks?

Racial profiling much?

Yeah, if it's a series ending, I'm not too torn up about it. We all know how this ends. And it's not with Bothans pooping rainbows.

I look forward to 'Mouse Wars'. Like a hole in my head. The only other company that doesn't understand the value of good entertainment other than Crime Warner/Cartoon Network is Biz-ney. Look at how they treated their own legacy brand (Tron: Uprising) or Marvel's properties (Spectacular Spider-Man). If they bring a Star Wars series to network, it won't be Clone Wars. It'll be Young Han Chronicles starring Drake Bell or one of those god-awful yogurt shilling Sprouse twins. Also look for 'The Suite Life of Princess Leia' starring <insert Dizney brat here>. :banghead: 

11. Scrapper6

Scrapper6 Lord of Constructicons

It's not Disney pulling Clone Wars toys off the shelves, it is Hasbro, I highly doubt Disney's executive team up and decided, hey let's just pull all of those hot ticket items off the shelves. Even if adult collectors weren't buying up tons of them I'm certain kids clamored and went nuts for Clone Wars figures.

And if I am in any way wrong, well all I can say to that is, Disney is plum loco to do something like that.

12. Escargon

Escargon Meh.

News Credits:
    I HATE Disney Channel show. Also, you fail to relise the gloriousness of Scooby-Doo: Mystery Incorporated and The Looney Tunes Show.

13. Rusty24

Rusty24 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't be surprised either way if it was to continue or end. The original goal was always five seasons an and now they have reached that. Everyone is really putting most of the attention on Episode VII. Didn't it also affect Star Wars 1313's release date? On the other hand, it's Star Wars and Star Wars is always going to get viewers. Maybe they'll just make a new series. I just hope we see a show like this again.

14. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

unless i am mistaking, no one knows that he did that. well except for palpatine. but i don't think Anakin even knows that Palpatine knows.

besides, i suspect even the girl who set ahsoka up, was setup, to do so, by Palpatine. he is the one pulling all the strings after all. THAT or he just wanted jump on a chance to remove something that Anakin is attached to, aka Ahsoka.

15. jala12

jala12 Fiery Adventurer

I think only Padme and Palpatine know about the tusken raider massacre. In ROTS it's implied that Anakin told Palps at some point.

16. OmegaPrime22

OmegaPrime22 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    wait so season 5 is finally finished ? damn I watched the first few episodes and got bored. But now I hear the finale is awesome. Guess ill have to give it another try.

17. FanimusMaximus

FanimusMaximus Kuphead

News Credits:
    I just watched the season finale, my mind hath been blown.

Barris how could you? You were one of my favorite Jedi!

And man, this really makes the stuff that happened in the Revenge of the Sith movie A LOT more believable and understandable.

18. Lord Shockwave

Lord Shockwave Well-Known Member

I said it before, I'll say it again. Dave Filoni saved the prequels by cleaning up some of Lucas' mess.

19. FanimusMaximus

FanimusMaximus Kuphead

News Credits:
    I love how people hate George Lucas so much even though if it wasn't for him we wouldn't even HAVE Star Wars.

20. Mutt12

Mutt12 Starroid Raider

Ebay:
    I hate 90's-2000's George. 1970's George was awesome.