Star Trek: Discovery (2017) - TV Show Discussion

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Tekkaman Blade, Nov 2, 2015.

1. Primeultra

Primeultra Well-Known Member

How can you forget Star Trek 5 & 6?

Both featured Captain Spock serving Captain Kirk as first officer

2. BB Shockwave

BB Shockwave Behold, Gagatron!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I honestly forgot they got promoted because it means so little in those movies - they basically still play the same character doing the same thing they did before. I mean when we see the TOS characters in TNG and later, those who got promoted to admiral serve in the admirality and the captains have their own ships... but we never see Spock actually command his ship, he basically goes back to first officer because that's what we were used to.

3. Primeultra

Primeultra Well-Known Member

Well Spoke did Captain his own crew/ship for at least the first 20 minutes (or so) of the Wrath of khan…..But I see where you’re going

4. Ramberk Magnus

Ramberk Magnus Well-Known Member

I'll be honest, I thought the last episode was pretty weak. Spoilers ahead...

So there was basically three plots, I'll go one by one...

The prisoner rescue plot-- This fell flat to me because I don't think there was any real tension or any real difficult questions being asked. Burnham should have just zapped anyone refusing to leave the asteroid and dealt with the fall out later. This felt like a severely underdeveloped TNG plot where Picard has to break the rules to do the right thing and talks himself out of getting in trouble using legal maneuvering. ALSO-- you are telling me that Burnham skimmed through the Federation constitution to find her political solution WHILE they were on this serious time crunch? Ugh, stoooooopid. Oh and the constant banter before and during the rescue operation-- because we have time to kill and just goof off. Bad bad bad.

The engineering plot-- I also thought the tension between Saru and Stament+New Guy fell flat. Saru is worried about blowing up the ship but these guys are professional engineers who have no interest in dying, why would they do anything risky and blow themselves up? Furthermore, is this the right time to do this stupid experiment? You are in the middle of a time crunch rescuing people. Further, furthermore, New Guy is upset that Saru stopped the experiment before it was completed-- but couldn't you just restart the experiment when you're back at Starfleet HQ or somewhere safe. It all just felt very "fake high stakes.'

The doctor therapy plot-- I like the doctor. I like how mental health has become a plot point for all of these characters. I just don't buy the doctor suddenly falling apart. I also just don't feel invested in this plot. I liked how the show handled Book struggling with loss and grief and how Stamets struggled to be supportive. I liked how early Season 3 briefly dealt with the crew's trauma. But this is just not resonating.

Sorry to be a downer but I think the writers were trying to cram in three underdeveloped plots into one episode and they all kinda failed. On the plus side, I really dug New Guy's conversation with Book at the end of the episode. There was something menacing/evil/bad/mysterious vibe coming off New Guy. The fact that New Guy was being friendly to Book has to be a clue that he's up to something because this New Guy doesn't like anyone except himself. We'll see..

5. Deathcatg

Deathcatg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I'm actually more surprised we didn't have a black woman captain for "Enterprise", which could have sent a strong message that the Federation itself started with a POC. Don't get me wrong though, I have much love for Scott Bakula and Captain Archer as he is too.

• Like Like x 1
  6. AutobotSeeker81

AutobotSeeker81 Well-Known Member

I took that as it being similar to when Jadzia was able to have previous hosts inhabit the bodies of her friends. Odo got Curzon, and he almost didn’t go back to Jadzia. The only difference here was the Android body.

• Like Like x 1
  7. BB Shockwave

BB Shockwave Behold, Gagatron!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Gotta disagree with Magnus, I liked this episode. Indeed the evacuation and prisoner dilemma was something we could have seen on TNG, and honestly Michael telling the magistrate complaining about the prisoners to shove it, he is a refugee now, felt a lot like what Picard would have said (and a "Get off my bridge!" to boot). I actually liked that they chose to honor that guy's wish to remain on the surface and atone for his crime, I mean they were not a Federation colony.
    I liked Tarka and how he was even more reckless than Stamets. He also sounded a lot like Matt Berry! I am betting he knows more than he lets on, and I am curious what that scar on his neck means - probably he was held by the Emerald Chain too? Also, nice mentions of the Metrons, confirmation that the Iconians are still around if diminished, and even the Q Continuum gets a nod.
    And yeah, liked the plot with Culbert. Reminded me of an episode where Troi loses it and starts feeling the emotions of the people she counsels and gets distraught.
    And man, Cronenberg must love being on Trek, he sure appears a lot these days. Was he ever an actor before? I only heard of him as a director.

Hmm, yeah, I suppose it is similar. That too needed a Trill caretaker's help to move the consciousness from the host to another.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Scrapper6

Scrapper6 Lord of Constructicons

Seems I missed this, didn't get an alert to it. At the time of my initial post I was making a statement concerning the perceived progress of the character and how at the time of initially being created there was a charged racial and political backlash going on and still going on in most respects. So of course I was being serious, in the sense that, when Discovery was first pitched and this Captain Burnham character may have hypothetically been conceived as captain from the get go it may have been seen negatively.

Captain Sisko and Captain Janeway were from a completely different time in the world politically and socially, these days there is a lot more conflict going on. I could realistically see some well-meaning idiot voting against Burnham being made the Captain outright due to being seen negatively by some or some other unknown unfathomable reason.

I wasn't there, I can't know what the actual course of this series was meant to be. I can only say things after the fact, that was my perception. It could have been completely wrong.

As far as what's been going on this season. Honestly, I think I would have preferred it if this was some kind of natural phenomena and not something man-made. Honestly until they introduced the notion that it was created by some kind of device I genuinely thought the characters were being faced with their own mortality, and that of the entire galaxy, with this anomaly perhaps being a sign that the Star Trek universe was about to be completely wiped out and a new Big Bang was going to create something different. I mean there was precedent in the show, TNG proved that a previous universe existed and the remnants of that universe left behind genetic clues to tell their story.

I honestly thought CBS ordered them to end the 'Prime' universe in a spectacular fashion so they could re-introduce Star Trek in a brand new reboot that had no past continuity. Alas that is not to be, some big bad high tech alien conspiracy decided to wipe out planets ALA Emperor Palpatine. Looks like Kurtsman got his wish, now he's telling a complete season of Star Trek with a Star Wars planet buster and an Alderaan survivor dealing with grief and pain.

Seriously, does Star Trek need an overarching stop the bad guy plot every fucking season now? That wasn't what the past series did, not intentionally at any rate. These seasons are so much smaller these days because of the streaming aspect wasting the plots on overarching big bad to deal with is just really, really wasting so much potential.

Hell, I hate to say this, but at least Lower Decks is still telling proper self-contained stories. I haven't actually watched the new kid oriented animation project. Not sure if I feel interested enough.

9. DecepticusPrime

DecepticusPrime "Essential" Personnel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I too miss the days of self contained trek stories. With the occasional 2-3 episode plot mixed in.
    After the fart reveal of the Burn last season, i hope the DMA reveal is more substantial.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Deathcatg

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I don't know about Discovery, but supposedly we're getting more of a return to that format with "Strange New Worlds".

• Like Like x 1
  11. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    Well, the latest reveal about the DMA is definitely way more interesting.
    It originates from beyond the great barrier, outside the Milkyway galaxy.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Belgrath

Belgrath Boom! Nutshot!

Finally managed to catch today's episode of Discovery (hooray for getting my cable analog box replaced a few weeks back)

And about time Tilly's out of the picture... never cared for her anyway

13. ViperDragon

ViperDragon Well-Known Member

The animated Prodigy show so far is one primary story arc and not really self contained episodes. It has been an interesting take, something different for sure.

• Like Like x 1
  14. SHINOBI03

SHINOBI03 Well-Known Member

Dear Star Trek: If you have multiple shows at once then let one finish before airing another one instead of taking turns every few weeks or so. It's very confusing to your audience.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Zathras

Zathras Vive le Quebec Libre

Looks like Changelings are still around and this one cheats at gambling

• Like Like x 5
  16. DecepticusPrime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I know that noone would have guessed the origins of the Burn last season so im cautious to ask what everyones guesses are for 10-C and their intentions, angle, etc

• Like Like x 1
  17. AutobotSeeker81

AutobotSeeker81 Well-Known Member

I’m not sure, but it would be nice if it was a callback of some kind.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  19. DecepticusPrime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Who is she that theyre making a big deal?

• Like Like x 1
  20. Deathcatg

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Kind of hard to answer that here since her career and especially her notable actions during the past couple years are literally in the world of politics. You may have heard of her back in 2020, otherwise this is one area I would say you're better off googling for.

• Like Like x 1