Star Trek: Discovery (2017) - TV Show Discussion

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Tekkaman Blade, Nov 2, 2015.

1. Zathras

Zathras Vive le Quebec Libre

Yup, apparently been confirmed Bajoran / Cardassian / Human hybrid

• Like Like x 1
  2. SHIELD Agent 47

SHIELD Agent 47 生死有命,富貴在天

News Credits:
  3. Deathcatg

Deathcatg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
  4. Insurgent

Insurgent The Amazing Tango Mysterio

Well.... ok. Looks like I'm not watching it on netflix. Shame, i was thinking of doing a rewatch shortly.

Picard and lowwr decks are still on amazon it says.

5. X-Arachnis

X-Arachnis Well-Known Member

And like that, I'm done with Discovery. Seeya Burnham, aint gonna miss ya.

6. Max Rawhide

Max Rawhide Rollin' Rollin' Rollin' ... uh, never mind

And that means the choice is made for me.

I haven't really enjoyed Discovery -- there definitely were some good episodes, some good ideas -- but overal it's my least favourite Trek show ever, including the animated series and the movies. As long as it was on Netflix, we would likely watch it. If it's gone, then we can't watch it and it's definitely not worth getting Paramount+ for it some day in the future when/if it becomes available.

Bye-bye Discovery.

EDIT: yep, checked and it's gone. The other series are still there, but Discovery is gone. Bit strange though. I can understand the new season if Netflix apparently didn't pay for making it, but they did pay for the previous three seasons.

Perhaps the Doomcock/nerdrotic rumours were, for once, true. Netflix pulled out and because of this CBS did re-shoots of season 3 giving the series an ending in case they couldn't afford a fourth season. Maybe.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2021
  7. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    And nothing of value was lost.

8. Zathras

Zathras Vive le Quebec Libre

Picard is now canon with Discovery. Grey is getting a new android body like Picard did. They referred directly in this ep.

• Like Like x 3
  9. rob_charb

rob_charb Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just caught the first episode of season 4. Nice to see Michael get taken down a notch or two. She needs some serious humble pie. The end of the episode was just needlessly cruel though.

10. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
  11. Scrapper6

Scrapper6 Lord of Constructicons

So I finally finished Season Three.

Great job on rewarding the Traitor to the Federation by making her the captain of a Starship now.

Discovery has gone through three captains now, and was it all just a set up to make Burnham captain? Because she acted like the fucking captain half the time, so she probably should have been promoted sooner.

Also, do I really need to spoiler tag this?

Oh well, at least Space is airing Season 4 so I can see just how much more can happen to Captain Kirk 2.0 the Female Sister to Spock who showed up out of the blue and carried on the tradition of bucking all of Starfleet's rules and regs with Cowboy diplomacy.

Oh my God, if she'd been Kirk's estranged daughter it would have been worse. Although this does explain so much about her character.

Tell me I'm not the first to make Kirk parallels. I mean seriously, I don't believe in the no-win scenario? Jesus H. Christ, I love Trek, I honestly to and watching the final three episodes was in some way immensely satisfying, but despite that I am calling them out now, this hackneyed cliche character started out as a terrible idea and they've only made her worse as the series progressed because it was so fanfic clichey that it literally sets my back teeth to grinding.

Discovery, love ya, but damn did you need a better head. Also, seriously, at least one of the main bridge crew should have fucking died again, making them all survive seems extremely hackneyed in retrospect and it would have made more sense if they sacrificed Tilly for the sake of making things more powerful. (Also, I'm kind of sick of Tilly as a character, she has pathetic character growth potential and she hasn't contributed much at all in the third season. Sacrificing herself would have been a perfect moment for some growth and then maybe they could stop relying on her for all the cringe humour on this show.)

Anyway, I digress.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Single Elegant Machine

Single Elegant Machine Purity and order.

Was that ever in doubt? It's all canon.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Max Rawhide

Max Rawhide Rollin' Rollin' Rollin' ... uh, never mind

That, I hoped, would be the arc of the series. And what a wonderful arc it would be.

Roddenberry has always said that one of his inspirations was Hornblower in space. And Horatio Hornblower rose in rank throughout the bookseries as he became more experienced. His captain saw his potential and pushed him, put him in situations where he would learn and gain experience. And so he went from a seasick, insecure midshipman in the first book, to a lieutenant in charge of a few enlisted men, sometimes commanding a very small ship, to 2nd officer, XO, Commander in charge of his own ship, Captain and in the last book an admiral. He gained experience, he grew and he learned.

That was what I hoped they would do with Discovery when I learned that the lead character wouldn't be the Captain. Make Burnham a capable officer at the beginning who still lacked experience, gets missions from her captain, makes (costly) mistakes and so learns and earns to be promoted. And then, in the final episode, she would become the Captain. (DS9 did this a bit with Worf.)

Instead we got a Burnham who was always right (even when they attempted to suggest she was wrong), captains who bowed to her wishes, and you always wondered why she wasn't in command since she was obviously the most capable, praised and loved by the crew.

Such a loss of potential.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  14. Scrapper6

Scrapper6 Lord of Constructicons

It's pretty clear to me that Kurtzman has no ideas.

Burnham is basically following the same story arcs as 2009 Kirk, except where history said Kirk would be this great Captain and he actually lived up to it in a small way, this new character isn't special aside from the writers who wrote her as such. The writers wanted her to be the Captain, but CBS or somebody probably didn't appreciate the idea of this Black Actress playing a Captain's role. Or who knows, maybe they just didn't like the original concept they were aiming for with Discovery.

I won't pretend to know, but I will say this. They definitely made Burnham into a Kirk clone. I'm honestly surprised they didn't go one step further and make her some Prodigy augment Section 31 cooked up to deal with Khan based on info they got from some time traveling BS warning or something.

15. rob_charb

News Credits:
    Season isn't done yet... :lol 

I just wish she would talk like a normal person instead of intense whisper-talking all the time.

16. IronMonger986

IronMonger986 Well-Known Member

I watched season 1 (gave it the full season) years ago. Decided I kinda hated it. Is it still the same or better now?
    Picard left a bad taste in my mouth and dropped out after 3 episodes.

17. rob_charb

News Credits:
    Well holy shit...

Tilly is gone. Thank fucking Christ. I really did not like her.

But, of course, Michael was the big hero, saving the negotiations...think I pulled a muscle I rolled my eyes so hard.

18. AutobotSeeker81

AutobotSeeker81 Well-Known Member

I think so. I didn’t like season one either. The mirror universe arc was good, but that was it. Season two was miles ahead with the addition of Pike. I was worried I wouldn’t like season three without him, but I did find season three enjoyable, and I’ve like season four so far.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Ramberk Magnus

Ramberk Magnus Well-Known Member

The last episode felt a little bit like TNG because one of the plots basically centered on diplomacy and navigating relationships- it felt very Captain Picard-ish. I won’t spoil how it’s resolved but… Shrug.

The show does feel a tiny bit centered on the crew and less on Burnham, here’s hoping it continues on that track. I don’t dislike Burnham’s character but making her solve everything is poor writing.

I really dig the new dynamic with Burnham and Saru. There’s a really nice comfort level there while simultaneously both characters continue to exist with their unique personalities. Saru comes off as smart and very competent next to Burnham. And Burnham can let her guard down and show doubts/questions that Saru can answer. She’s the sword, he’s the shield.

Sometimes the captain/number one dynamic is weak or uninteresting but I’m really digging it here. Very smart choice.

• Like Like x 2
  20. BB Shockwave

BB Shockwave Behold, Gagatron!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    As boring as the first 2 episodes were (another anomaly? meh!) the other two were pretty good! I quite liked that both felt like self-contained smaller stories where each character gets their own little stories. Kinda like classic Trek used to be.
    Curious if they are writing out Tilly with this or she is just taking a backseat, but it was a nice way out for her, she has been struggling in finding out what she wants for a while. Also unlike old Starfleet, it is perfectly understandable there would be conflict between these cadets, due to the burn many people have never even seen other alien species before.
    I was a bit confused by Grey's revival... so did they place the symbiote inside his new android body? Or he just somehow existed as an incorporeal entity, and now was given a body?
    Glad to see Saru back. I wonder, did we ever have a precedent for something like this, a captain working as first officer for another captain? They are the same rank after all, yet she outranks him on the Discovery.
    Book's arc was also good, and how just because he confronted his failure to save his family via mindmeld, the grief did not go away.
    I love half-Cardassian/half-Bajoran president lady (need to remember her name). She is really giving me Vedek Wynn vibes... Except she seems less self-interested and genuinely wants to do what's good for the Federation. I do wonder why Michael is so surprised politicians are sneaky and are not straight in your face about their plans, but then again we need to remember she was raised by Vulcans.

The show is completely different after season 3. S2 was already trying to focus on other characters, but the main plot was really dumb. By S3, they are 900 years in the future so whatever happens won't damage continuity, and the show is finally finding its voice, and focuses on others, not just Michael.

Please tell me you are not being serious. In today's political climate? And decades after CAPTAIN Benjamin Sisko and CAPTAIN Kathryn Janeway? A black man and a woman have already been captains in Trek history. Why would a studio be afraid to make that move?

I think what was surprising is rather that Michael starts out as commander and then gets court-martialed and demoted, and we watched her rise to this rank dynamically over the years.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2021
    • Like Like x 1