Star Trek: Discovery (2017) - TV Show Discussion

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Tekkaman Blade, Nov 2, 2015.

1. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    This is the Prime universe, which is separate from the Kelvan and Original time lines. That, and the show runners don't pay attention to detail.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Primeultra

Primeultra Well-Known Member

well I wasn’t the one that originally sighted the Kelvin timeline

besides, one could debate wether it not this Truly is the prime timeline

That’s true

Last edited: Jan 23, 2021
  3. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Prime is not the same time line as the TOS -Enterprise time line. It is at least 25% different for legal reasons. CBS will never allow Bad Robot to make anything in the original universe.

4. Primeultra

The legality is a different issue but I understand your point

5. Primeultra

It’s on screen (Once for certain twice if I’m right) along side the correctly ranked Sulu

It did this time

It’s canon

And I’m not going to argue semantics as to whether the word was ever mentioned in the film

before going On the rescue mission they were all called Cadets outside the simulator

Uhura was A Lieutenant
    Sulu was a Lieutenant
    Stands to reason Kirk would be as well

Again it was in the scripts and made it on screen by way of the visual display

It meets the standard criteria for canon

6. Sparky Prime

Sparky Prime Well-Known Member

So does the Enterprise in Discovery have both straight nacelle struts like in TOS and swept back like TMP at the same time? The displays on the Discovery bridge displaying Enterprise showed them straight, yet the ship itself was swept back. The USS Prometheus has two different registry numbers? NX-59650 being on the hull because Foundation Imaging didn't get the memo that NX-74913 was being used on all the internal displays. The Enterprise D has a giant rubber ducky? I know this one in-particular is meant to be an in-joke from the production crew rather than something the audience is meant to notice, but never-the-less, it can be seen in some episodes.

What is in a script is not canon. And visual displays I'd say have to be taken with a grain of salt. As I've pointed out, they can conflict with changes made during the production or have mistakes/jokes from the production crew.

All of the cadets are referred to in the dialog by their rank. So if Kirk is supposed to be a Lieutenant, why isn't he? Why is he the only exception? It's an indication the films creators probably decided to make him a Cadet without a rank sometime during production. There's a reason they did it this way.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2021
  7. Primeultra

Evidence of a mistake made in a different series isn’t evidence of a mistake made in the 09 film

Hell ,Evidence of a mistake in a single body of work isn’t evidence of mistakes in an other part of the same body of work

What is in a script may not canon......but they made it canon by following it up on screen

It’s been done before, Savik was refered to as a cadet and a Lieutenant in The wrath of Khan

Yeah likely because he wasn’t supposed to be on active duty

He was suspended pending the end of his hearing

8. Sparky Prime

You're completely missing the point. These examples just illustrate how things change or get missed during production of ANY production which can lead to conflicting information. The '09 film is certainly no exception to that. You cannot preclude that being a real possibility here. Again, visuals like this need to be taken with a grain of salt.

A graphic that's only on screen for a split second, while the rest of the movie only refers to him as Cadet Kirk, in contrast to every other character in the film, makes that one visual questionable at best. Even the Memory Alpha article on this version of Kirk only mentions this in a background information note, given the lacking reliability of the graphic in the film. The dialog from the script was obviously changed during production, again, as is no mention of his rank being Lieutenant in any of the dialog in the final film. It is more likely someone forgot to tell the visual department they'd dropped the Lieutenant rank during filming, or it was overlooked, or too late to change it. In any event, that graphic alone isn't substantial enough to claim it as canon.

Not in place of her rank she isn't. The only time she's referred to as a cadet is in a general sense, meaning they're referring to all of the cadets, not her specifically. That's not the same thing.

Being on academic suspension doesn't mean he's demoted or people stop referring to him by his given rank. And even before the hearing was interrupted, before the suspension happened (considering he didn't even know he was suspended until after the roll call assigning everyone to a ship), they were referring to him as Cadet Kirk, not Lieutenant. His rank, as far as the actual dialog in the film suggests, is Cadet.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2021
  9. Primeultra

I told you I really didn’t want to argue semantics but for whatever reason you seem to want to press the song
    I’m not missing any of your point, but there’s no indication that there was a mistake here with these examples

sure somethings get changed during production, and sone things don’t , and as you put it “The '09 film is certainly no exception to that”

You cannot preclude that the computer screan image was intentionally left there as being a real possibility in this case

Even these 2 writers were aware of trek fans Obsession with every little detail, Lake computer screen images, even “A graphic that's only on screen for a split second” like this one is something that send fans into a frenzy of debate
    And again it’s something that this production staff was well aware of

1)as I pointed out before the other characters were referred to as cadet before reporting to the enterprise

2) were all in the same class

3) The graphic also includes the correct rank for Sulu

It stands to reason they would all be of the same or very similar rank, perhaps Junior Lieutenant to Senior lieutenant
    I see no reason to label the graphic is not Canon

That’s just for me for the reason why he wasn’t referred to as Lieutenant Would be that he was currently suspended pending the possible explosion from the Academy

The memory Alpha article has actually changed over the last few years as this isn’t the first time I had this argument

Not saying that memory Alpha was in full support of the lieutenants issues, But there was more in the article at one point
    She was referred to as a cadet before reporting for duty on the enterprise And Lieutenant afterwards

Sounds familiar don’t it
    How can you even substantiate that claim?

We got no idea how Starfleet Academy would handle such a thing, much less the opinions of the writer and what the director felt might be a way to convey a particular message

It may very well be the standard to refer to him as a cadet to remind him of his failings due to his own action
    As they did with the rest of the cadets, They were all referred to as cadets before reporting for duty on the enterprise

10. Sparky Prime

No, you clearly are missing my point. It's always the same old song and dance with every argument you make, where you misconstrue the other's points or otherwise outright ignore parts of the argument just to keep to your own narrative. The facts of the matter is the dialog only calls Kirk a Cadet, in a stark contrast to every other character in the film. As I pointed out, and you've ignored, the only time we've actually seen somebody called Cadet as a rank in Star Trek like this is like with Nog when he was a cadet prior to being promoted to Ensign. And no, we do not know if any of them were in the same class. McCoy was the only one that we saw enlisted at the same time as Kirk, and even then, that doesn't mean they'd be the same rank. A graphic on the screen for a split second is not automatically canon as you claim, especially when we can clearly see what changes were done to the script during production and thus the dialog in the final film does not support that graphic.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2021
  11. Primeultra

No I am not missing your point....I just disagree with your assessment

your right, It's always the same old song and dance with every argument because you can’t seem to have anyone disagree with you

I entered the conversation essentially agreeing with you that the promotion to captain was Ridiculous either way......but also pointing out it was from Lieutenant to captain

but you could not just let that be, first you suggest i image have confused James with his father and when I pointed out I confused nothing you went on this rant

The facts of the matter is the measure for canon in Star Trek has been seen or said in a live action production

the image in question meets that criteria.
    it’s canon

ignored, no but somehow I missed it, either way it’s not exactly point

The way starfleet and the academy were depicted between the TOS era stories and TNG were different, as depicted by how Savik was handled

12. Sparky Prime

It's not me that can't seem to have anyone disagree with. I'd be happy to agree with you here, if you had some evidence more substantial than a graphic that was only on screen for a split second and we have reason to doubt. But you don't. Rather than just concede that you lack evidence, you always chose to argue it. I've seen some your arguments with others on the boards as well. You always do this exact same thing, regardless of who the argument is with. I should also point out, I've noticed you always have to have the last word and will not stop replying until you get it, while at the same time, trying to pass off the blame. If you didn't want to argue it, as you claimed, then why did you? You're the one that chose to argue it anyway. That's on all on you, so don't pass it off like I'm the one who can't have anyone disagree with me.

I did not go on a rant. I only argued against your assertion that graphic was canon by pointing out graphics are not always accurate, pointed out that the dialog never calls him a Lieutenant, contradicting the graphic you cited, and supported my point with the precedent I citied from the series, where in Cadets are only referred to as Cadets as a group or if they have no other rank. A rant is a long, angry speech, which this is nothing of the kind. This is a concise, reasoned counterpoint. Yet you couldn't just let that be it, all the while misconstruing what I'm saying and even how I'm saying it, to drag this out needlessly. Now you're trying to turn this around on me when you're the one who has never been able to let anything go or concede to anything that doesn't align to your own view. Can you just move on now?

Edit: And you've proven my point by once again showing you have to get the last word in, while blatantly ignoring everything I just said. If you truly consider it "nonsense of semantics", then you were being needlessly nitpicky for bringing it up in the first place, let alone carrying on about it like you have. I dunno who you're trying to kid here, but I'm done with these circular arguments you always turn everything into, and that you cannot seem to hold an honest, respectful argument with your own refusal to let anything go, to the point you are being a troll. As such, welcome to my ignore list.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2021
  13. Primeultra

as I have seen of yours.....and you reply in kind to those people , so what’s your point

again, I entered this conversation in basic agreement with you, and added my 2 bits

You did any you still are.
    I pointed out the image on screen calls him a Lieutenant.

And you implied I was mistaken

I wasn’t
    I posted my evidence
    I said I didn’t want to get into a semantics argument about if or if not it was mentioned

That's when you couldn't just let it be.

So are you ready to let this nonsense of semantics go already?

14. SHIELD Agent 47

SHIELD Agent 47 生死有命,富貴在天

News Credits:
    Teaser trailer for season 4, which will stream on Paramount+ sometime in late 2021.

This mirror on Facebook should work internationally:

Last edited: Apr 5, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  15. SHIELD Agent 47

SHIELD Agent 47 生死有命,富貴在天

News Credits:
    Season 4 is scheduled to begin streaming on Paramount+ Thursday 18 November 2021.

Full trailer, released today at NYCC 2021:

• Like Like x 1
  16. Deathcatg

Deathcatg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Glad to see that after several hundred years, there's more children of mixed alien ST races, and more Orions after the Emerald Chain arc. And hey, David Cronenberg's character's back!

• Like Like x 1
  17. Ramberk Magnus

Ramberk Magnus Well-Known Member

Agreed. There was a new character with a speaking part that looked like she was half-Cardassian and half-human? Also a fleeting glimpse of an old Ferengi sitting at a Federation roundtable? Interesting...

I'm also relieved that Saru hadn't been written out of the show. He's definitely lived up to the standard of top notch second-in-command characters.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Deathcatg

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I've heard rumors the Cardassian decent woman might even be the current President of the Federation. If that's true, I guess it shows much things have progressed when someone with heritage from what was once considered the alien equivalent of the Nazis now represents the ideals of the Federation as a whole. I hope we at least get some lines talking about how the past several hundred years affected the culture of these familiar races. I'm most curious about how the Ferengi went on following Rom's placement as the Grand Nagus (sorry for DS9 spoilers, but I think it's common knowledge now). I'd also like to get some lines about what the Klingons are up to, though I imagine the return of their 32nd Century representatives might warrant it's own season.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Zathras

Zathras Vive le Quebec Libre

Ridges on the nose would point more to Bajoran / Cardassian hybrid than Human / Cardassian

• Like Like x 1
  20. Deathcatg

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Could be all 3 and more.