Star Trek Beyond (2016)

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by QLRformer, Jul 13, 2013.

1. Omegashark18

Omegashark18 Combaticon turned Autobot

News Credits:
  2. ArmadaJetfire

ArmadaJetfire Yamato is go! ;D

Bones and Spock were gay in the orginal series. Thats why they argued so much, the make up sex was fantastic!

3. emoo

emoo Well-Known Member

Yeah I like the Franklin design but I'm kind of wondering about an explanation too. The timeline and ship design didn't change until after the nx class ships. Its kind of odd then that if the Franklin predates the nx it has design elements from after the timeline change

4. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    I say that Takei is understandably attached to the character and given he lived through some famously intolerant times to be a homosexual then his opinion carries more weight and authority than mine on both subjects. And if in light of this revelation they decide to reverse the decision, then I'm a-okay with that because in the society portrayed in the Federation it's a non-event either way.

5. Goaliebot

Goaliebot All Makes and Models

News Credits:
    I disagree with Takei, but what's important is his reasons aren't "Ew gays icky, don't want them in Star Trek" (naturally). As he said, "I'm delighted that there's a gay character.".

My frustration is with the "no gays in muh Star Trek and Star Wars" reactions.

6. User_93049

User_93049 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  7. ClunkerSlim

ClunkerSlim Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I can kind of see why Takei is upset. In a way it's like "What? You don't think I could play a convincing straight character so now we have to retcon Sulu as gay? So after years of being forced in the closet, now my character was in the closet this whole time too? Awesome."

8. Rusty24

Rusty24 Well-Known Member

I can understand where Takei is coming from. While we have known this character as fans this whole time, Takei has known this character for fifty years (that's over half of his life). He was told what the character would be by the creator. Like I said earlier, it also just seems like an odd decision to make his character gay just because the original actor was gay. I have no problem with it, and it sounds like it's tastefully done, but I can understand why he wouldn't agree with it.

9. Wolfguard

Wolfguard Your own personal Jesus.

I'm with Takei on this. They could have, for example, expanded the backstory on Science Officer 0718 from ST:ID and had him return for this movie. The decision is bizarre and I'm left with the impression that the intent was just for those writers to do something to "feel good" about themselves. Rather than do something which could have added to the mythos, they chose a course which, IMO, absolutely comes off as pandering:

Look! Sulu is gay, because George is gay, and we're OK with that, and here's the proof. And Star Trek!

It's like the opposite extreme of bigotry. Not everyone needs a would-be SJW to stand up for them with fists in the air. Sometimes it's good enough to say, "you're awesome, and I'm on your side." And if anyone thinks this is some "I don't want gays in Trek rant" - please. My lesbian friend who I love dearly has the near exact same mindset as me in this regard. She's all about respect, but she doesn't want or need special treatment. Maybe it's because of her Army training and being an Afghan War vet, but girl can stand up for herself and who she is. I'm pretty sure George can too...

:2c: 

10. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    I agree.
    It's not so much storytelling or mythos building as much as it is about proselytizing progressivism.

11. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    I agree with both of these things, but trying to take the long view, I think it will end up being a positive thing. I mean, at the end of the day, we have moved one step further in the direction of a more diverse cast, and fifty years from now, it will just BE -- people won't remember the clumsy way we got there.

12. Raiju

Raiju Mendokusai desu... Veteran

News Credits:
    Flickr:
    Normally I'm all for diversity, but I tend to agree with your assessments. This seems more like the director and writers rejecting Takei's concerns completely in favor of doing something with the character that kinda checks the boxes and nothing more (or to put it more on the nose, to make themselves feel/look good in the name of progressivism).

I'm certain John Cho is more than capable as an actor to tackle any facet of the Sulu character but it did strike me as a bit disingenuous and patronizing (equal treatment vs. special treatment) in how Takei's thoughts and feelings about the matter were disregarded in the end.

I also agree that they took the easy, most obvious route by making Sulu gay. Why not Bones? Why not a different, new character like Takei wanted? Is it really a nod of respect toward Takei when it's the actor himself who is gay but not the character (and the actor's wishes weren't even respected, as it turns out)? It's not like the two are exactly one and the same (that's why they call it acting).

13. Hazekiah

Hazekiah Banned

News Credits:
    The point of these rebooted films is to rewrite history, and Sulu was never seen to be romantically involved anyhow, nor was his daughter explained in any great detail.

This development in no way establishes that Sulu had previously been closeted.

All it does is does is acknowledge Takei's own lifestyle and his own wishes for the franchise, which he'd personally expressed to Roddenberry himself almost half-century-ago, yet was denied due Roddenberry's understandable gunshyness after ratings dropped following the highly-controversial first interracial onscreen kiss.

Basically, Roddenberry thought it was too much, too soon, and too big a risk.

Now it ISN'T anymore so they're finally going for it.

I still applaud and support the decision.

14. Raiju

News Credits:
    Flickr:
    You're assuming that Takei wanted Gene to have Sulu to come out of the closet when Takei could just as easily have wanted Gene to do episodes/stories revolving around gay issues and characters that aren't about Sulu himself. Takei was closeted out of necessity, not Sulu. Is it really that hard to distinguish that Takei is Takei and Sulu is Sulu? One is the actor and the other a character. They are not necessarily (nor should be) one and the same person.

My main gripe is that the movie runners are saying they made this decision out of honor and respect for Takei when it appears that this wasn't the case at all because they discounted his concerns completely out of hand. And then to say, well, the rebooted movies are not the same thing as TOS and Takei doesn't own the Sulu character. Can't have it both ways. I think the movie runners erroneously conflated Takei the actor and Sulu the character, and then said, "Look, we did this for you! You should feel honored!" It's kinda patronizing and I do get where Takei is coming from in that respect.

15. Hazekiah

Hazekiah Banned

News Credits:
    I made none of those assumptions.

16. Raiju

News Credits:
    Flickr:
    Takei's lifestyle is NOT necessarily Sulu's lifestyle. And why should it have to be? Just because the actor is gay automatically means that the character must be too? The whole crux of Takei's disapproval is that the movie runners are conflating actor and character as one and the same.

17. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    so what if it is?

18. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I don't mind having a gay, lesbian, bi-sexual or even a transgender character in Star Trek. I think it's a good way to tackle sticky social issues we haven't resolved yet. I'm just not sure making Sulu gay because George Takei is gay was really the solution.

I'm also not sure that we should dismiss the closet issue since it's wonderful that some people have been free to come out, but that isn't everyone. I am free to be bi-sexual around my friends, but around family I still have to play the role of the straight arrow heterosexual.

I think it might have been better to have Scotty as the gay character since Nick Frost would have been the perfect actor to play Scotty's partner. Bonus points to the production team if they could have found Nick Frost's old Hyperdrive uniform.

But honestly who's straight and who's not is way down on my list of problems with the new Star Trek.

19. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    That's true, an actor's screen presence is not necessarily the same as who they are.

Case in point: Angelina Jolie and Megan Fox have complained that people think they are hot vamps, when both are now mothers. And how popular was Bill Cosby's comedian personality before those complaints from women came out?

So yeah, Takei has a point. It's worth noting that Takei doesn't mind a gay character, but he doesn't feel that it needs to be Sulu because of Takei himself.

‘Star Trek’s George Takei: Film’s Gay Sulu Reveal Is ‘Unfortunate’ | TVLine

“I’m delighted that there’s a gay character. Unfortunately, it’s a twisting of [Star Trek creator] Gene [Roddenberry]’s creation, to which he put in so much thought.”

20. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

Outside Kirk and Spock most of TOS characters are so paper thin you could add almost anything and it wouldn't be twisting "Gene's vision."