Star Trek Beyond (2016)

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by QLRformer, Jul 13, 2013.

1. CKPRIME

CKPRIME Banned

News Credits:
    The re fit cross section is definitely non canon. It doesn't make sense because it's essentially powering the impulse engines. Why would you have the warp drive power the impulse engines? What if you lose warp power, or you have to eject the core? You have just lost the sublight drive system.

2. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    The Warp Core going through the neck make sense, as it ties the impulse engines and warp drive together. And also the phasers were routed through the warp drive as well. Also, if there is a warp core breach then they only have to jettison it out the bottom of the secondary hull.

This was one of the targets Khan fired at in his initial attack in TWOK.

What doesn't make sense is a skinny neck to house it.

Attached Files:

3. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

Not really. In a modern warship the sensors and weapons control stations are in different part of the ship from the bridge, called the CIC/AIC or generically the operations room. All the bridge has is the helm and pilot and the Captain. Star Trek just moved all the functions of the operations room into the Bridge. And used it's traditional placement in a ship. Might also be why the bridges in Star Trek all have a dome on top of them.

Actually it makes perfect sense. A flying saucer with two engines and an air frame connecting them. With the potential hazards that the engines produces need them kept well away from where the crew will be living and working (by and large). That's the marching orders the guy who designed the Enterprise for TOS was given when he made it.

4. Altered Prime

Altered Prime Well-Known Member

thats not exactly true

5. Altered Prime

the cut away for the refit you posted , USS Proxima (NCC-1737),is most certainly not canon.

6. Sparky Prime

Sparky Prime Well-Known Member

Yes really. Don't get me wrong, I know they use plenty of monitors and sensors on modern warships, but they don't operate exclusively off of those monitors on the bridge. The operations room is an entirely different thing. There's a reason why they still build the bridge where they are and with such large windows. But for Star Trek, prior to the reboot, there's no reason why the bridge of a starship needed to be at the top of the saucer when they didn't have windows.

Yeah, I said the refit one wasn't canon. But doesn't change that it's still based directly on material from the canon. And we saw the new design wasn't without flaws in the films. In The Motion Picture, they couldn't use the phasers in the wormhole due to warp power being cut off, with those systems having been tied together as a means to boost phaser power. But I do think the impulse engines were separated from the warp drive. In Wrath of Khan they mention having partial impulse power despite the warp engines being offline.

Care to elaborate? We never saw a Federation Starship with a window on the bridge in the Prime universe.

7. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    It's been a while since I've seen it, but I want to say that in Nemesis it's shown that the Enterprise-E's viewscreen is also a window. If I'm not mistaken, when it rams into the other ship the viewscreen breaks and a forcefield activates in it's place.

8. bellpeppers

News Credits:
    If anyone is concerned about the caninicity of the warp core, then need not look any further than the production sketch by Probert I posted a page back.
    He designed the ship for the movie.
    It don't get more official than that.

9. Sparky Prime

The Enterprise E didn't have a window. It had a holographic projection rather than a screen in First Contact, but that had been replaced with a traditional viewscreen in the subsequent films because the producers didn't like the look of the blank wall when the viewscreen wasn't in use. The viewscreen was destroyed before they rammed the Scimitar, when a torpedo hit close to the Enterprise's bridge.

10. Ironhide1234

Ironhide1234 Here.

News Credits:
    Wow, it's like a nerdy master engineer convention. :lol  I personally don't think the whole design of the Enterprise is very good either way. I like the look but it doesn't look practical enough.

11. rapid_fire

rapid_fire Banned

But how does it fly? From what I can see, there are two giant latteral engines that sure, can throw the ship into warp speed, but how does the ship lift off the ground, let alone manouver forward, aft, port, starboard, nadir, zenith, let alone the roll, pitch and yaw vectors. Just by looking at it, the ship is incredibly off balanced, and somehow able to have gravity on board while in space... As soon as you try to get any forward momentum, you're going to nose dive that fucker right into the ground :lol 

Last edited: Jul 6, 2016
  12. emoo

emoo Well-Known Member

The movie era through tng all have maneuvering thrusters on different points of the saucer and engineering hulls in addition to impulse and warp engines, into darkness shows a large amount of thrusters firing to stabilize the ship as it crashes to earth. As far as gravity, artificial gravity on a space ship could be possible in a variety of ways in real life. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artificial_gravity

13. Altered Prime

in a way we did

TOS, Kirks enterprise
    Requiem for Methuselah
    Flint shrinks the Enterprise to table size, Kirk looks inside the bridge through the window/viewscreen

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

there is at least 1 more example from voyager i can think of but its not as clear cut

14. Altered Prime

as far as treks canon policy, aside from a very small number of debatable exceptions, production materials of all kinds are not canon

15. bellpeppers

News Credits:
    Gimme a break. It's Andrew Proberts design, paid by Paramount.
    Next someone will be sayin the studio VFX models aren't canon.

16. Sparky Prime

That really doesn't prove anything. All that episode shows us is Kirk looking at the shrunken Enterprise from the perspective of the viewscreen, while we're shown that the bridge crew has been put into suspension. There's no indication Kirk himself can actually see into the bridge through the viewscreen. And despite the crew being frozen in place, the ship seems to be unaffected as the lights on the consoles of the bridge are still shown to be moving, which means the viewscreen would still be working as well.

I'm assuming you're referring to the episode "Death Wish", where Q(uinn) similarly shrinks Voyager and Q seemingly looks through the viewscreen when he finds them? "Year of Hell" part 2 clearly shows us it's not a window. Due to the damage the ship has taken in those episodes, the viewscreen isn't functioning and is shown to be a hologrid that normally projects the image.

17. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

How does it fly? Anti-gravity fields and thrusters. And in space it uses those same thrusters and the impulse engine (which is centrally located on all federation ships). The gravity is also artificial (generated by strips in the floors) so the shape has dick to do with that. It also has another energy field that cancels out the effects of inertia.

18. Rusty24

Rusty24 Well-Known Member

Sulu Will Be Married and Gay in '''Star Trek Beyond''': Report - NBC News

Yeah, why not? I don't think his sexuality was ever addressed in a definitive manner. Plus, the whole point of Star Trek is to show a utopian future with all kinds of people coexisting and helping each other. I'm especially glad that they won't make a big deal out of it. My one complaint is that they picked the most obvious character for it just because George Takei is such a big figure in the LGBTQ community.

19. Rodimus74

Rodimus74 Well-Known Member

Diversity in movies strikes again. Better in this than Star Wars.

20. Rusty24

Rusty24 Well-Known Member

In the new expanded universe there are two gay characters: Rae Sloane and another character in Aftermath (I didn't read it because I heard it was bad).