Star Fox Zero for Nintendo Wii U

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Transquito, Jun 16, 2015.

1. Atomsplitter

Atomsplitter Needs a new title.

That's a slick case, damn.

2. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    Oof, this game does that "aim the camera but not the player" lock-on that is never useful.

Halfway(? at Titania) thru the game myself. The controls/camera aren't quite as bad as I feared, but if I could I'd MUCH rather take a 'classic' controller version. There's just too much to keep track of as it is; top screen, bottom screen, motion-control aiming, joystick aiming, other joystick aiming (and remembering that stick also controls boosts/somersaults/brakes/barrel rolls/etc..), managing the vehicles, managing the cockpit view, managing the drone the one vehicle sends out, finding the one angle you can hit the enemy weak spot, telling the difference between friend and enemy (it's way too easy hitting your allies at some points)...

3. Transquito

Transquito Reach For The Light

Indeed, that pretty much sums it up very well.

Last night I played the game for another 3 hours and managed to gain enough points for the gold trophy on a few levels.
    I am having some fun with the game, despite the controls, and I have replayed several levels multiple times already.
    Still don't feel that I have mastered the motion controls, but I'm slowly getting more and more competent, but ultimately I still do not find them enjoyable or fun to use.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2016
  4. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    $*&)(! this game
    #@!& Nintendo and its motion-gimmicks
    @^#% this being the only new Star Fox game in forever

... that was dramatic. But seriously, I played *two* levels since last time but that was enough to change my opinion from "well this is tolerable" to "F it, I'm playing Assault".

Titania started off decently, only trouble was the boss at first. The level suddenly jumps from "on rails" to all-range mode while a sandworm is trying to suck you under. A sandworm you can't wait out, but you have to turn around and shoot at. And then it jumps out and body slams you and you have to dodge that and carefully shoot it's weakspots. Meanwhile I'm doing donuts because I just can't get a handle of the controls.

After that mess, it's a 'stop the missiles' level. The missiles have a rotating weakspots that take a moment to deploy (so when you destroy one set you can't immediately go after the next), and when you destroy them the explosion can actually take you out! Of course the camera LOCKS ONTO THE MISSILE at this point, so you gotta somehow get away without a proper view of yourself. Then midway thru the level the Great Fox falls under attack, and you have to drop everything you're doing to save it -- it doesn't just loose a wing like in the 64 game. And the distances between the objectives are HUGE, so you're constantly gunning the boost (and ignoring the ass-hugging enemies that require hitting the brakes); but since the controls are so janked up chances are you're going to be accidentally doing somersaults or u-turns when you absolutely need to be going forward.
    Oy vey...

5. ParaChomp

ParaChomp I am what I am

Slippy Turd

I don't mind the dual stick controls but they could have been simplified a bit. The gyroscope works well as a third analog stick yet I wonder why it needs to constantly be recalibrated. They felt very natural to me but the all-range sections are a pain, having your aiming reticle not on the television is bothersome and the gamepad's limited view doesn't help. The walker is also weird since it moves too fast.

6. RustyBarnacles

RustyBarnacles Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    OMG, the battle against Andross is such a PIA! I ended up rage quitting the game. The controls aren't terrible IMO, and they do take some getting used to, but damn do they not work well in certain areas.

And that goddamn tank! It's the only vehicle that turns using the left stick rather than strafe. That plus the aiming using motion controls have made me despise every tank level.

Overall it's not a bad game. It's star fox. Little to no story, if you want you can get to the end credits in about twenty minutes if you're comfortable with the controls and don't care if you've fully completed a mission. The flight controls I think work well. The walker is a bit clunky, but it's functional. The hover copter is slow as hell but it's supposed to be. Tank sucks.

The Rogue Squadron is an old game, I wish they would have taken a page out of that book. In Rogue, you could switch to cockpit view when needed and use the control stick to look around from the cockpit to find the target. I would have preferred that over motion controls.

Another nice thing from Rogue that could have been incorporated would have been the ability to call orders/formations.

There's so much more that could have been done with this game. There's really nothing more to it than getting good with the controls.i find there's no strategy involved whatsoever. Just get good and don't get shot.

This game would have been great back in 2005, but really doesn't hold up to today's standards.

7. RustyBarnacles

News Credits:
    Sorry for the double post, but the more I play this game the more I think this was supposed to have been a launch title to showcase the gamepad. It really feels that way like many wii releases to showcase the motion controls that were a bit clunky.

The main problem I have with the motion controls is that they are completely self reliant. All movement is separate from aiming which feels completely unnatural. Like I said it works better in aerial combat, but still does not feel quite right.

I did notice that if you hold the Y button, you can essentially bypass the motion controls in flight mode. It doesn't really work though with the land based vehicles, sadly.

8. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Well-Known Member

Wow, so I just learned about how horrible this game's controls are. WTF Nintendo?

Not to mention telling people to just get used to it is a bullshit response.

9. TaurusOxford

TaurusOxford Well-Known Member

Star Fox Zero is yet another case of Nintendo being "innovative" simply for the sake of it rather than being innovative because it enhances the experience. Every reviewer out there have said the controls are unintuitive at best and garbage at worst.

10. ParaChomp

ParaChomp I am what I am

Agreed, every reviewer except Jim Sterling are letting this problem slip by.

There's nothing "innovative" about it, it's a gimmick. They somehow could have implemented a "third joystick" well but everything the right joystick does could have been mapped to a button making the need for a third joystick pointless.

11. RustyBarnacles

News Credits:
    This is the reason I think this was supposed to be a wii u launch title that got put on the back burner.

In any case, I've been playing a bit more and have gotten pretty good with the controls on the flight levels. I still struggle to no end on the land missions which solidifies my opinion that they just don't work for those vehicles.

I did have a much easier time switching the view with the minus button so the cockpit view was on the tv screen.

I really think star fox on the ds was done much better, and as a result of playing zero, picked it up a gain and tried it with motion controls. I can't say I enjoyed it with motion controls, but I will say it works much better on the ds considering it moves the ship and targeting cursor which feels more natural.

Since I've clocked more time in on zero, I'll say it's fun and frustrating for the reasons mentioned above. For the record, I never enjoyed the ground based missions on any star fox game so I'm a bit biased in that regard.

Overall, I'd give this a 6/10.

I absolutely hate star fox guard, but my wife seems to really enjoy it. To me it's Five nights at Freddy's with turret guns and no jump scares, but whatever, it was a free pack in and the wife enjoys it so I can't complain.

12. seali_me

seali_me RIP January 2018

Should I be expecting tons of this game at EB games used section? :D 

Also how many games actually use this kind of control?

Also I wonder what Japanese gamers thought.

Lol@RDprime's avatar.

13. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Old

News Credits:
    I love Star Fox, but, if the controls are that stupid, count me out.

14. seali_me

スターフォックスゼãƒ*(零)2ç”»é¢å®Ÿæ³ãƒ—レイ part1ã€WiiUゲーãƒ*パッドã®ç”»é¢ã‚り】 - YouTube

Haven't watched the whole thing but sounds like he's having fun so far.

I read/watched so many fucked up thumbs down reviews of so many good games and even witnessed/played first hand how wrong most people are.

I wish the Internet would bridge all the reviews to everyone. Imagine understanding eastern POV of gaming.

15. Transquito

Transquito Reach For The Light

I'm afraid that might be pretty likely :( 
    Perhaps it would be easier to forgive the awful "innovative" motion controls if you only paid 10 bucks for a copy of the game.

Anyway, unfortunately I haven't had much time to play the game this weekend, but it looks like I'm roughly halfway through getting all of the Gold Medals.
    Still haven't touched Star Fox Guard so I cannot comment on that yet.

16. seali_me

I've never found current gen Nintendo used games at that price. mostly 5-10$ off. But here's to 10$ games. :thumb 

I don't know but from what I see so far a lot of this is bandwagon gaming opinions. Which is why I'm more interested in the other hemisphere' opinion at this point.

So many gems out there people miss out on due to bandwagon gaming.

17. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Yep. My favorite was when Metroid: Other M (not a perfect game, but definitely not a terrible one) started getting bad reviews because feminism.

18. seali_me

The biggest one I know while keeping the Nintendo talk here is WindWaker.

Remember the babies crying about the cellshaded for kids look? Where are those babies now?

Back to Zero, one game reviewer mentioned that the game play controls simultaneously messes around with both sides of your brain which I find pretty awesome. how many games can do that?

19. RustyBarnacles

News Credits:
    It definitely feels unnatural at first because the aiming is completely separate from movement. Putting the tv into cockpit view really helps the controls. My big gripe is really just the land based controls. It still feels awkward to me. Flight though, is pretty fun and challenging. The black arwing is really great to use. Though you need to git good with dodging attacks prior to using it otherwise you'll be dead in a few hits.

This is really a game that requires a more hands on approach. The more you play the more you'll enjoy it as you get better. Still hate the tank.

With many reviewers harping on the controls, I'll say this. They are very tight and precise. The issue many are having is the aiming being completely separate from movement. It feels really weird at first, but you get used to it with practice. As I said earlier, it feels awkward with the land based missions to me, but I've been able to plow through them without dying so they can't be that bad, it's primarily how the land vehicles move compared to the airborne vehicles that attributes to the awkwardness when aiming. Again cockpit view on the tv helps this quite a bit IMO.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2016
  20. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Anything on land has always been weak in this series. I have no idea why they still bother.