Stan Bush Remake of "The Touch"

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Swingshifter, May 14, 2009.

1. Tenebrouser

Tenebrouser Craft...or is it crap?

This song really has grown on me for some reason. I've been humming it in my head over the last few days. If only it had no rap...

2. solloron

solloron Member

i have to ask man...for all the defending you were doing for this song...what changed your mind...you were attacking peoples opinions and then you just flop because its the norm...wats up with that??

3. NemesisBruticus

NemesisBruticus Banned

Am I the only one who thinks it was so Linkin park that Linkin park should have sung it?

4. Rodimus

Rodimus The Prime Producer

No, I actually had that reaction too. It just seems like somebody is trying to be somebody else and making something into something it's not, which is the entire problem with this remake.

I thought the bridge with the heavy portion of the guitar going all out metal was great, but that's probably because it was original within itself and was much more energetic then the rest of the song.

5. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

Made it to 1:19 before my
    [​IMG]
    reflex kicked in. At this rate, I should be able to listen to the whole thing by the end of the year.

6. Prisoner1138

Prisoner1138 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Uhhh...

Really?

Ok, first of all, the rap part is idiotic. "rock" songs do not need a rap portion, but I guess it's trendy these days? Also, half the song it sounds like he's singing while half asleep, doesn't care, or he just ran over his dog by mistake. It's like he's trying to sound like linkin park(which I can't stand).

7. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    Kids.....always changing their opinions just to be part of the "In" crowd.

8. Blue Meanie

Blue Meanie Hello from the Gutter

Yeah me too, I keep singing Stan's part, its stuck in my head. I listened first before I watched. He needs to chop the rapping out and I think it will be good....if he isn't so upset with reaction he's given up, which I think has a lot to do with the lack of constructive criticism on here lately. Not sure whats up with the overall hostility.

Video was bad though. Need to hook a SONG before you give it visuals.

9. -Wreckage-

-Wreckage- I'm Not An Architect

News Credits:
    I wanted to see what people would react to when I said it. I don't really care about this song, I think the whole "Touch" series sucks. It's a song that should never have been made, period.

Me to, maybe it would have worked better.

above two^

10. Rodimus

I think the video was good (minus the middle aged guy trying to look hip with his rapping) as far as effects and visuals go in combination with movie footage, but you are exactly right: You need to debut and hook the SONG before you present it in some video.

As for the rest of the song, I do not like the way he remade the chorus. He sings "Touuuuuuuuuch" in falcetto. For those lyrics, it made the song sound very weak. Part of the reason why the original "Touch" worked was that he sang that part very powerfuly. "You've got the TOUCH! You've got the motion!" It was uplifting and had strength. And because of that, it worked. It was powerful and effective. Here, that entire effectiveness is stripped and sounds very weak with the falcetto applied to these words. It's too much of a contradiction.

I also agree that poeple should be offering alot more detail and constructiveness for why they do or don't like it. I hope my posts offer a bit of that constructive criticisms. Truth is, in spite if this I am still a Stan Bush fan. I just do not like what he did here and have stated points to exactly what I do not like. So hopefully it's worth something if by some odd chance he reads this.

11. Book'm Sparxxx

Book'm Sparxxx Member

Didn't like it at first. I couldn't quite put my finger on it till this but you're right. Originally the song had a feel of determination and projected strength. If Mr. Bush feels this is the way to go I wish him the best, but if it were my call:
    1) Ditch the rapper
    2) Turn this song into more of a story being told (like the opening of 'Dare')and put more behind voice from the first chorus on thru to the end ((sorry i'm not a music major or anything))
    3) From around 2:46 to 3:00 sounds excellent imo use as a template for ending and slowly work my way from beginning to that as your apex.
    4) My personal preference don't name the song 'The Touch'. You are setting a bar to achieve that has over 20 years worth of fan nostalgia attached to it and will be crapped on instantly because it is an updated song that will/can never meet with the sense memories attached to the first version.
    5) Kinda' goes along with #2 incorporate more of 'Dare' and lengthen song about 2-3 more min. This I think will build an overall arc and allow for a better flow. If the voice can't handle it put a guitar solo or two in there. cause remember Bay put an instrumental in the first movie for a pretty nice chase scene!!

I tried to be constructive whatcha think?

12. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:

i think this is probably my biggest criticism.

I think it works and sounds alright. i mean its not musically terrible really cuz it all fits but i have to agree that its not very powerful. it doesnt help make the chorus stand out like it should. lacks the punch to hook you in

im really diggin the music though. some pretty cool guitar riffs here and there im gonna try to figure out on my own :p 

and funny enough ive been having this version of the song stuck in my head off and on the past few days!
    :p 

13. Kickback

Kickback @GeekWithChris Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    For what it's worth.

The guy who posted this video in the first place on YouTube is actually the OP. Or rather, the OP is an Alt ID of the same guy.

14. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 Optimus, serving up the primest of ribs since 1984

News Credits:

thats just it for all of us old enough to remember the Original transformers movie and those who have watched on VHS or DVD , The Touch will always be the 80's rock song, this new version while its not bad just doesn't do it for me and many others i am sure, now it might appeal a bit more to the younger crowd the live action movie has brought in, and new blood in transformer collecting is a good thing none of us are gonna live for forever and to me its good to know there will be people out there after I am gone whop will appreciate Transformers as much as i and all the rest us on this forum do

15. AnimatedFan

AnimatedFan Banned

o_O 

16. Sizzle

Sizzle Sparkabot

So essentially you're just admitting to being a troll?

Thanks. I know whose comments to avoid from now on.

17. Rodimus

:thumbs2: :thumbs2:  Excellent custructiveness. I also happen to agree with most of your points. Though after hearing this version of the touch as a remake, I'm hoping Dare stays untouched and unblemished. That was always my favorite of the 2 anyhow. I love both, but Dare was the song that made me go seek out the Transformers movie soundtrack to find and buy. It took me long enough to find it too. So I'm hoping that one remains as is.

I think Stan should leave old songs alone and make new songs to stand on their own for reasons stated in this thread. I think he can do it too. I think that the reason alot of songs become hits in the first place was because they were fresh and didn't have any jaded preconditions attached to them, while being totally new and entertaining. And if there are any elements of old songs in them that help them become hits... (IE: Kid Rock's "All Summer Long" with "Werewolves of Thunder", Neyo's "Closer" with the 80s song "Maniac" and some M.Jackson elements, Vanilla Ice's "Ice Ice Baby" with Queen's "Pressure", and even Jessica Simpson's "I think I'm in Love with You" with John Cougar Melloncamp's "Jack & Dianne", Kid Rock's "American Badass with Metallica's "Sad But True" etc etc etc) ...they all changed the words and just used parts of the melody. All the lyrics were made original to coincide with the artist and their style, and to break any glaring pre-requisites & expectations set by the known established song (who's hooks and riffs are being re-used).

18. Metroplex79

Metroplex79 Hey mouse, say cheese!

After reading all the posts about the new version, I didn't really want to watch it.

My thoughts:
    -yeowch!!!
    -rap was garbage
    -too mellow for my taste
    -sounds like something from American Idol where a contestant takes a mellow song and make it rock, he took the rock version and made it into a sleepy time lullaby
    -rap was garbage
    -it wasn't that bad...if this version was the original, and the 86 version was the *now* version
    -I did not feel heroic, nor the urge to do something heroic after listening to it

19. D-Compose

D-Compose wCw United States Champ

News Credits:
    What I though about the Touch remake is contained in my new youtube show, "nail or fail" and guess what side that remake fell in ;) 

YouTube - Nail or Fail Episode 1

Kev

20. Sp.Agt.Sparrow

Sp.Agt.Sparrow Autocon/Deceptibot

MP3?