Minor/Repaint: SS86 Kup overhaul

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Thundercracker Blue, Feb 20, 2021.

1. Thundercracker Blue

Thundercracker Blue Well-Known Member

Hey folks-

SS86 Kup is a solid figure, but in my opinion he’s got a few nagging flaws:
    1. Weird face sculpt. The face is too long, but the chin is weak and not prominent enough. The mouth is too pouty. The eyes are way too small and too far apart.
    2. Low, rounded shoulders give his upper body odd proportions. Coupled with his thin arms, he seems positively osteoporotic. He doesn’t look old, he looks frail. These spindly arms end in...
    3. ...Bulbous, excessively rounded fists. Looks like Mickey Mouse hands, or like he’s wearing Hamburger Helper mittens.

So I went to work. First, I trimmed his face down to make it fit his helmet better. I re-sculpted his face by filing down his lips, then shaping his new mouth into a a subtle sneer. I never cared for Kup having a Cy-gar, but I do like how a Cy-gar in the corner of his mouth causes a sneer, so I tried to capture that. I also augmented his chin with putty to give it more prominence. I didn’t sand it totally smooth, because I liked how it looked a little rough and worn. I widened the eye sockets to enlarge the eyes (and bring them closer together), then painted the eyes themselves to liven them up. Lastly, I scratched-in a few lines/wrinkles here and there, around the mouth and eyes, to give the impression of laugh lines, etc. I finished by painting the face and neck a flat gray. The overall look I was going for was Clint Eastwood, and I’m happy with the result.

Next, I carved out some plastic from the shoulders “plates”, which allowed the shoulder hinges to raise past horizontal line of his chest. This allows the shoulder plates to sit above the top of his chest, which in turn positions his “deltoids” in a more natural position. He’s a bit more broad-shouldered. Not enough to look “jacked”, per se, but enough that he looks like he used to be pretty hench. Less feeble old man, more old soldier with “dad-bod”.

The stock fists are too big and too globular. That’s made worse by the middle finger being most prominent, resulting in the fist being almost spherical. I considered changing out the hands, but since the “fist hole” position is important for alt mode, I decided to modify the fist instead. So I trimmed/filed the fists down so they would be a bit smaller and in proportion to the arms. I then rescuplted the fists a bit to make the index/trigger finger more prominent than the other three fingers. The result is a slightly smaller but more angular and aggressive(?) fist.

Lastly, I spray painted the inside of the windshield primer gray to finish the G1 look. Transformation is the same.

Before:
    (Photo courtesy of TFW2005)
    3B7799F2-D5A6-453A-A981-E3AF1675739E.jpeg

After: F5A59FDE-DAB4-4731-A3A5-22C704BE5616.jpeg C1310A8B-91B3-42FA-A952-08533C0D6708.jpeg D8141E06-97C9-4620-B9D7-8A861B5C0F9C.jpeg EC438C9B-6B3F-4DCD-98E1-F30D4C92B517.jpeg

Hope this was of interest!

Last edited: Feb 20, 2021
    • Like Like x 41
  2. Bee427

Bee427 Still here and queer

Great job! The chin really makes a huge difference, and I love the extra girth you gave him. It's amazing how less scrawny he looks just by moving the shoulders.

• Like Like x 1
  3. ipmj2

ipmj2 Well-Known Member

This is how it should have been from the factory! Great work God bless!

• Like Like x 3
  4. THE 1

THE 1 GUNFIGHTER

Wow! Shortening up that loooong face of his makes huge difference. The shoulder work helps too. Looks much better. Thanks for sharing.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Impactor666

Impactor666 Well-Known Member

You fixed all the things that really bugged me with that figure.why they couldn't address these issues in the first place. All they needed to do was stand back and take a good look at him to see the problems.
    Impressive work!

• Like Like x 4
  6. Vanya

Vanya Well-Known Member

Dang. I ran into one of these today at Wal-mart. Can't get it now, tho!!! The anguish!

• Like Like x 2
  7. cyberpredicus

cyberpredicus Well-Known Member

Great work

• Like Like x 1
  8. autobot prowl

autobot prowl Well-Known Member

Big improvement. A little more sanding on the chin would probably help smooth it out though. Otherwise looks great

• Like Like x 2
  9. shiftypenguin

shiftypenguin Fancy-Pantsless Dancer

News Credits:
    Nicely done!

• Like Like x 1
  10. Vanya

Vanya Well-Known Member

Finally got one, and he is definitely on my to do list thanks to your work here.
    Definitely going to fix the face and shoulders, but not sure what I want to do about the hands since I'd also like to add wrist articulation.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Uniswipe1984

Uniswipe1984 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Mp level stuff

• Like Like x 1
  12. Optimus1138

Optimus1138 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Any tips for getting the windshield off? I tried to remove mine so I could panel line the part underneath it but it felt like I was going to break it.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Thundercracker Blue

Thundercracker Blue Well-Known Member

Hmm. It’s just mounted by clips on the sides, so mine popped off fairly easily. It definitely comes off a bit easier now, so maybe it’s tight the first time. But its definitely not glued or anything like that. Good luck!

• Like Like x 1
  14. simified

simified Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    What worked easily for me was I removed the arm completely. You'll notice on the side how the windshield is angled on a slant. Pry in the opening at the top of the windshield in the open area. It should pop right off with little resistance.

Thanks also for posting this Thundercracker. I still have more work to do on mine, brilliant ideas!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 28, 2021
    • Like Like x 6