SS86 Bumblebee first look!

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by John TheDestroyer, May 14, 2024.

1. blaine71274

blaine71274 Recovering completist, recently fell off the wagon

Correct, and I don't deny that. I seemed to have upset some here, and that was not my intention. But being a former graphic designer (not 3d engineering, but none the less), I know that when a company decides on a path, they try to stick with that design motif. So the decision too change to blue windows from translucent with other figures was not idle. That was a meeting of minds. So I was just saying that at some point, they will find a way to make that happen.

2. ScorponokIsHere

ScorponokIsHere He is Arrived Indeed

News Credits:
    None of those parts were nylon. You're giving examples of plastic that was always ABS that was later painted in different ways. Nylon parts can't be painted, ever.

They CAN'T FIND A WAY FOR NYLON TO TAKE FACTORY PAINT.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Fenrys

Fenrys Formerly Tigatron2002

News Credits:
    Nah, not in this scenario. The examples you've cited have all been ABS plastic, it's always had paint, just in different layouts. Nylon cannot take factory paint and is used in joints because it's less brittle. Bumblebee has joint pieces that make up parts of his windows, therefore they painted the ABS portion of the windows to match the Nylon portions. Those parts on Bumblebee will always be made of different materials. The only way to "solve" this problem is to run the nylon parts in both blue and black and then trash the parts that aren't used, which could increase the cost of the figure due to superfluous manufacturing steps.

• Like Like x 4
  4. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde 暴魂

News Credits:
    *Visibly struggling to keep up with this conversation about different kinds of plastic, the little hamster wheel inside skull going into overdrive*

Okay, so... Nylon...... ABS....

• Like Like x 1
  5. Seanprime

Seanprime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This reminds me that even when the designers explain designs and the why behind them there will always be some who legit refuse to believe the facts placed right in front of them and then use their own background to further justify there wrongness lol.

• Like Like x 8
  6. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde 暴魂

News Credits:
    Like the people convinced that Studio Series Concept Sunstreaker was part of some grand conspiracy that involved making up / creating new concept art in order to justify the continued creation of non-BaYvErSe stuff?

• Like Like x 6
  7. blaine71274

*their* lol

It's called critical and abstract thinking, which is how we get the great designs we have. I've also been a painting and sculpture teacher for 23 years. One of the things I always tell students is how can you do better? What else can you do? It's problem solving. But sometimes with deadlines, you put out what you can, then tweak later.

Last edited: May 29, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde 暴魂

News Credits:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  9. Seanprime

News Credits:
    None of that has anything to do with the situation here though which if you are a teacher you should be good as looking at the facts and the data as presented right? Also what kind of adult teacher makes an immature grammar correction? You probably still haven’t even watched the video either. There’s no problem to solve because there isn’t a problem. Windows aren’t blue due to the plastic used around the figure. You continue to ignore that and basically say “yeah but” over and over. I couldn’t care less that you’ve been a teacher for 23 years, that might make you look worse here honestly

• Like Like x 6
  10. blaine71274

That was only in response to the fact that you were referencing me without quoting. It was petty, so I returned the favor. And there is always a problem to solve, otherwise we wouldn't have all of the modern advances that we have now. BTW, Can you point out where I said the words "yeah but"?

11. Seanprime

News Credits:
    There’s always a problem to solve? What lol l, I mean in general sure but in this instance , no there is not a problem. You didn’t verbatim say “yeah but” your statements are “yeah but” type statements. Again, watch the video and stop ignoring the facts. Ultimately we all were just trying to provide education to you(as a teacher that should be easy to understand right?) but you’ve continued to be obtuse about this situation That’s all ima say though as I’ve said my thoughts and I’m gonna leave it at that

• Like Like x 3
  12. ScorponokIsHere

ScorponokIsHere He is Arrived Indeed

News Credits:
    anyway let's just sum up this argument so we can move on

chemistry says: nylon can't take factory paint
    blaine71274 says: nuh uh have you tried harder

anyway how about that bumblebee

• Like Like x 12
  13. Seanprime

News Credits:
    LOL

I’m looking forward to this Bee, can’t tell if I’m gonna like it more than the Netflix one in pictures so looking forward to comparing in person

14. blaine71274

This was actually a funny post. It made me laugh out loud. You’re welcome for the source material. Thanks for bringing the conversation back to lower temperatures.

15. Sunbow Prime

Sunbow Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm pretty sure I've seen model kits with different colored plastics on the same sprue.

16. Gepard

Gepard Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Gating off a mold so as to run multiple plastic colors is absolutely something it's possible to do. However, it doesn't seem to be something HasTak ever actually does. I don't know if it's more difficult or expensive, or if they just have a blind spot. It would fix these kinds of problems if they ever did, for sure.

• Like Like x 3
  17. C16

C16 Space Nomad

News Credits:
    Different colors, not different materials I believe. And yes, the process makes it a lot more expensive.

• Like Like x 2
  18. John TheDestroyer

John TheDestroyer Cognitive ability of a rock

News Credits:
    This is the real question, but without insider information that we will likely never get, there's no real way to answer it

It's pretty straightforward when you get down to the source of the discussion. There's two main types of plastic used on modern Transformers figures. ABS is shiny paintable plastic. Nylon is a matte-textured flexible plastic, often found in thin or high stress points, like small joints and long, thin weapons like swords or rifles, and it'll never be painted

You can visually see and feel the difference between the two types if you look for it. Most figures will probably even have both types of plastic in the same color, which makes distinguishing them by texture even easier

Here's a decent example, although my camera didn't capture it great. It's more apparent in person. The forearm is a shiny hard plastic, with silver paint on it (ABS), while the hand is a slightly softer plastic, softer in both texture and flexibility, and unpainted (nylon)

1000039668.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  19. ambitron

ambitron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  20. daimchoc

daimchoc Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):

• Like Like x 6