SS86 Bumblebee first look!

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by John TheDestroyer, May 14, 2024.

1. STRAKER454

STRAKER454 Police Box Traveler

I kinda like this. There's some aesthetic issues I have with where they squared off some lines to avoid angering VW. I think the robot mode is nice and it's nice that it's not smaller or taller than the WFC styled figures. Ankle tilts are in a bit of an awkward place, though I don't know if there was anything else they could do with them. The Pennyracer styled design...I can see that being a bit off-putting next to more realistic car designs from the past five years. I may get this but I don't know that he'll be replacing my Netflix BB in my collection.

2. DanC

DanC Delightful person

News Credits:
    If this is different enough for you, I hope you enjoy your new toy. To me, it is far too similar to something I already own, and I would consider it a waste of my money.

3. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Proud grandpa

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    *Raises hand*

Now give me a Cliffjumper, Glyph, Tap Out, Bumper, and every other repaint out there, and I can die a happy man.

• Like Like x 5
  4. RowanAndBel

RowanAndBel New Member

It's....okay? Kinda?

Robot mode is fine. Not quite sure I'm a fan of how the feet transform, and that window color still bugs me, but it's okay.

But the more I see of the figure, and the more digibashes I see of it, the more convinced I am it's the small details on the mold that really let it down. Literally just rounding the painted windows does wonders for giving the alt mode more G1 "truthiness," even though it still obviously misses the mark in several other places.

I might pick it up on sale because I love G1 Bumblebee and his robot mode isn't bad, and if there's any character I'll dedicate two shelf spots to it's him.

Also, disappointing but unsurprising that Hasbro is continuing the trend of dropping the "we'll give you more accessories!" excuse for smaller figures. And for all the attempts to shift the blame onto engineering costs, this ain't SS86 Brawn or Hot Rod: it's not that mind-blowing of a transformation, and I'm not convinced the mold that had to use black plastic for design reasons is worth the premium cost on that front. It's just straight-up Hasbro trying to give us less figure and maintain margins knowing we'll buy it anyway...which yeah, probably isn't wrong.

I'd generally agree with you, actually. 3rd Party figures are often hyper-engineered nightmares that I can't imagine ever releasing at mass retail for anything approaching a decent price.

Problem is, there are 3rd party Bumblebees which hit the mark FAR better with completely reasonable and relatively unambitious designs.

Going back to KBB Hornets Agent, which I'm using as a reference point because it's the one I have on hand, it is an oversized KO of a Legends class Newage figure that relies on fairly straightforward transformation patterns for Bumblebee to get the job done.

It is not a complicated figure, and it's very easy to see Hasbro putting out a polished version of a similar design for the deluxe price-point. Particularly considering this is a character you can release with basically zero accesories, and which you can produce at a massive scale to help reduce production cost per unit.

Bumblebee is simply far from the most complicated design to figure out, even at his traditionally smaller size, and I don't think it's unreasonable to expect one of the largest toy companies in the world to be able to crack that nut when they've worked wonders and straight-up black magic before for other far more complicated designs.

• Like Like x 7
  5. Kenchanayoh

Kenchanayoh Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It is so cute! I\'m going to get this as I never got the cartoon accurate Masterpiece. Will likely display it in vehicle mode next to MP Bee in robot. I can understand why others will pass.

6. bearytrek

bearytrek Unicron Backer #1...

News Credits:
    hm, i wonder how long till we get a new Cliffjumper out of this

7. ambitron

ambitron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I definitely agree, although I'm not sure the bar has been set that high. :) 

• Like Like x 3
  8. RNSrobot

RNSrobot Keeper of the Waspinator Swarm. Blam.

This dude is rad.

9. optimal_optimus

optimal_optimus Peace through gluttony

It’ll make an amazing cliffjumper for sure, that’s what I’m waiting for

• Like Like x 1
  10. scuffed up rts bumblebee

scuffed up rts bumblebee #Justice4Chopter Trench's#1Fan

Interesting that the more you see of it the better or worse it becomes:lol 

I'm on the "better" side, the stock photos make it look really bad, but that post about what you get for the price did hurt it a bit. I hope future retools come with more.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Incepticon

Incepticon |-+-|

News Credits:
    I'm already curious if they'll try to make the inevitable Cliffjumper remold slightly taller or if they'll just leave the sizing as-is.

12. HunterGreen2005

HunterGreen2005 In-Stock

News Credits:
    Definitely buying this, but the boxy car mode on this SS86 just makes me love the Netflix Bumblebee (and Buzzworthy Goldbug) even more, lol.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Throway

Throway You'll never stop at one...

News Credits:
    I would've liked an extra accessory since he's so tiny. Maybe the smallest plastic effect like the MP45 had.

• Like Like x 3
  14. RePUGnicon

RePUGnicon A very indecisive individual

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Somehow I don't think this has been posted here
    x.com
    GNplFf6X0AAno1b.jpeg
    Credit: @KeyliiPrillaman

• Like Like x 13
  15. Q Prime

Q Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Regular reminder that those blue windows are not happening.

• Like Like x 5
  16. SaberZ

SaberZ Well-Known Member

Feel like it might be tricky for them to get the spoiler on the chest based on how the mold transforms and I doubt he'll have blue windows. But regardless I hope that happens soon.

• Like Like x 3
  17. Ravewind

Ravewind Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yup. I definitely want this to happen.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Dinobot Snarl

Dinobot Snarl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    For me it comes down to the head. ... It's not beating Netflix Bee's headsculpt, and I feel like this was a good opportunity to give him a subtle smile. Besides that, I was hoping the feet would somehow be reduced and they are but they still look ridiculous. ... That Cliffjumper digi is not exciting me, the feet look crazy.

...but with any other headsculpt I'd probably get it.

19. Seeaich

Seeaich Inaction Master

News Credits:
    I am curious why they so often go Chubby Face more than 'Toon with a touch of OG1 handsome humanoid face like this and the Deluxe Classics 'Bee?

• Like Like x 2
  20. ScorponokIsHere

ScorponokIsHere He is Arrived Indeed

News Credits:
    It's already been called out that blue windows can't happen, but...

...how are we expecting that spoiler on his collarbone to work? There's no where for it to disappear in vehicle mode, unless it's okay for it to stay on the middle of the roof.

• Like Like x 1