SS86 Bumblebee first look!

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by John TheDestroyer, May 14, 2024.

1. Ravewind

Ravewind Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Rather than compare him to TFOne (as it's a new movie so this might be considered an odd exception - though again from that chinese reviewer before it got removed he didn't even have tires just small rollers) we should be comparing it to the recent mini bot deluxes like Brawn, Cosmos and Gears.

• Like Like x 3
  2. artiepants

artiepants Transformers '84!!!

News Credits:
    Oh, the fact it was a digital turnaround and had the Hasbro Copyright made me think it was from Hasbro :drunk 

3. Dinobot Snarl

Dinobot Snarl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Guys, not sure what people are expecting out of Bumblbee, but I see a lot of expectations.

My only hope was that they make the feet smaller like Origin. But...they did make them a little smaller. The important thing here is Miniracer Proportions, no parts forming and no license, which I celebrate. That means they can take us to repaint city. Overall I think this is a win!

• Like Like x 9
  4. Vanya

Vanya Well-Known Member

No. No it doesn't. No.

5. Ravewind

Ravewind Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    While I am not really into some of the other characters that use this base/mold outside Cliffjumper I'm interested to see how any turn out.

Though while I do see Goldbug getting thrown out there from how he looked in the animation wasn't he taller than his former self? I know the toy was pretty much the same size but cartoon wise he seemed taller.

• Like Like x 1
  6. ZapRowsdower

ZapRowsdower Selling oddities in a shack. In the woods.

I wanna like SS BB, but they're literally releasing the articulated G1 with him! :banghead:  So they had the reference handy. Like, literally the CAD design for G1 BB.

And they still messed up the alt mode. :sly: 

But recolor the mold, and I may consider a Bugbite or Wasp version.

• Like Like x 1
  7. EvilLobsterKing

EvilLobsterKing Joe Mama

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    She bumble on my bee till I cry on an internet forum about the robot toy not being right

8. falderal

falderal Well-Known Member

I wish they just brought the yellow paint further down on the windows so they didn’t feel so tall.

IMG_1690.png

• Like Like x 23
  9. cybeast

cybeast Freelancer Pun Maker

News Credits:
    And I think it looks weird so...

• Like Like x 7
  10. Boss Borot

Boss Borot A Pile of Scrap

I love these little guys. They're proof positive that you CAN get the toon proportions into the penny racer cars without giant backpacks and floppy heels. AND they get the faces incredibly close to perfect!! They just need to be bigger and have some better engineering to close up some gaps.

And really, as much as I dislike faux parts, these two NEED those fake roof torsos to get the right proportions. Without that, you either end up with a giant box for a chest (Netflix Bee), or you go like this new one and just use the top half of the roof, which ends up making that whole area look way too tall in vehicle mode and still not that great in robot mode.

Honestly, I DO like this Bumblebee, but he's SS86 the same way Legacy Chromia is Cyberverse. It only works if you squint real hard, and I was hoping that wouldn't be necessary.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Bakarina

Bakarina Unapologetic Megatron Fangirl

Rather than endorse the lowering of the bar yet again in terms of what we can accept, perhaps at some point we should instead have the audacity to expect better.

• Like Like x 5
  12. Fafnir72

Fafnir72 XYxInfinity

News Credits:
    A decent paint job goes miles! Just look at the TT Destron bridge crew.

• Like Like x 2
  13. johnny48

johnny48 Shockwave’s biggest simp

No one seemed to mind how ridiculously squashed his Beetle mode was so yes, I’d say it works perfectly in-universe.

• Like Like x 1
  14. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    Yucky in 360

• Like Like x 2
  15. Patient Shockwave

Patient Shockwave Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I recognize any movie version of Bee has to look like what he did in the film.

But there are other version of the VW that are kind of cool and would make some interesting alt mode options instead. Something I remember about the original minibots is they were scouts. If it was me, I'd play that up. Add in some communications / snooping type gear for Bee. A spotting scope, a backpack radio system, etc, etc.

16. octobotimus

octobotimus Bad company ruins good morals

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Another positive to this being A level is the high likelihood of it going on sale later. With its entire point being constant restocks, it will likely be around for a fair amount of sales that usually wouldn’t be anywhere near a guarantee for popular characters.

• Like Like x 4
  17. Ultra magnus13

Ultra magnus13 Well-Known Member

That REALLY improves it. THATS the toyhax I want.

• Like Like x 13
  18. Mimmers

Mimmers Well-Known Member

Welcome to TFW2005. If a newly revealed figure somehow isn't the most controversial talking point for like the next 3 months, you know something is wrong :p 

I'm still not really sure what the big deal is; The robot mode looks on point in terms of deco and appearance, the smaller size for Deluxe minibots has been a thing since Earthrise, and as soon as I saw this shot of G1 Bumblebee I was 100% fine with the alt mode proportions:
    g1bee.png

Really my only gripe with this thing is just the black windows. They gave it an explanation, but it just makes the alt and robot modes look so much worse that I wish they could've come up with any other solution to make them accurately blue :(  At least Toyhax can hopefully alleviate this issue!

• Like Like x 6
  19. meisterman

meisterman i am in love with rotb

To be fair, one of those has the entirety of his arms entirely unconcealed and plopped on the sides of the alt mode, and it’s not the small one lol. This and animated Bumblebee do feel like massive rips for the price point though. Blows me away that neither are packed with a ton of accessories considering these are legitimately sized and engineered like scout class figures from 2009.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Obnimaz

Obnimaz Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I ended up getting the Animated Bee on impulse and honestly ended up impressed. He has no ball joints, everything is fastened, he he wrists, heels and ankles. His neck articulation included being able to tilt left and right as well as look up. He could physically be bigger but he isn't lacking in features at all. His leg transformation is neat. I do think he suffers from misuse of clear plastic though.

I don't think this new Bee is notably smaller than Netflix, Origin or World's Collide Bee. It's cool they are doing a complex penny-racer style Bee. The black nylon window issue does suck though. I think it could use some tweaks but think it winds up better than most 3rd party ones. Magic Square being the closest I can think of.

• Like Like x 3