SS86 Bumblebee first look!

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by John TheDestroyer, May 14, 2024.

1. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hasbro would rather not have to pay Volkswagen a licensing fee. It's costly and it gives Volkswagen some control over the design (imagine if VW decided the bonnet couldn't have a seam line down the middle). They made the decision to go for accuracy with the Netflix Bumblebee, since it was going to be a limited-release store exclusive, so it's kind of logical they would go the other direction with this release, which they intend to saturate all the retailers with for at least twelve months. Cartoon accuracy doesn't require strict adherence to the real world, they don't have to let Volkswagen dictate anything to them or give them a cut of those +100k sales, and they're not repeating what they just did.

• Like Like x 2
  2. ScorponokIsHere

ScorponokIsHere He is Arrived Indeed

News Credits:
    Plus, production of the A-Level Deluxes is more open-ended than most toys. Usually you apply for a license within a certain time window, and for an A-Level toy, that time window is kind of expanded-to-indefinite. These are the Stores Can Easily Order guys. Throwing a time-sensitive license into the mix makes the whole process fraught, which is against the point of the release in the first place.

Chevrolet seems way more amenable to these things.

• Like Like x 1
  3. unpunk

unpunk Well-Known Member

Is that a serious question? The G1 cartoon, and comic book for starters. I mean, that’s all the way back to the beginning of the franchise. It’s why they made him a VW in the BB movie. Penny racer or not, it’s CLEARLY a VW and I knew that even as an 8 or 9 year old kid. He even asks Grimlock if he’s ever stepped on a bug in an episode of the toon, implying the VW Beetle. The first time I can recall he WASN’T a VW in media, was probably the movie in 07.

• Like Like x 6
  4. KylerWilmoth

KylerWilmoth Missing Link Wheelie

Toyhax will surely come to the rescue here, but I hate how the window has a small section unpainted. It makes the sculpt look broken in a way it's not.

1000005461.jpg

The other thing I don't love which I may even paint is this large black area touching the also black window. Again, it breaks the sculpt in a way that isn't necessary.

1000005462.jpg

Small things, but they bother me enough

Edit: Made a quick crappy comparison with my phones pen. This probably bothers nobody but me because I am crazy.

1000005441.jpg
    1000005463.jpg

Last edited: May 15, 2024
    • Like Like x 8
  5. Exousia

Exousia Lost Lighter

News Credits:
    Coming over from the TFOne Prime thread, speculation is that Prime is a "large" Deluxe. And while SS86 Bee is definitely tiny for a Deluxe size class, the engineering is clearly well above Core Class. A sizable one-piece accessory would certainly help with the price/size incongruity, though.

At first look I was hoping for a later release with blue windows, but after their comment about them being black due to engineering... I'm now thinking I'll just have to customize Bee myself, or pick up the Reprolabels set.

• Like Like x 4
  6. JasonTFW2005

JasonTFW2005 Well-Known Member

Even so, why can't they paint the windows blue?

7. ScorponokIsHere

News Credits:
    Because, again, parts of the windows are nylon, and making those parts blue means making parts of the robot mode blue.

The windows are painted black specifically to match the color that the nylon has to be.

They've explained this in the stream and we've regurgitated it in this thread a few times.

• Like Like x 9
  8. Choostopher

Choostopher Nostalgia Tourist

Yep very hopeful Toyhax has a set soonest for this one in blue.

My hope is a Toyhax set can cover up the black and not be a problem area where the parts will shear off any Toyhax stickers.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Rodimus

Rodimus The Prime Producer

It's beautiful but I wish they could do something so he doesn't have a canopy backpack over or behind his head.

• Like Like x 1
  10. tbx76

tbx76 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This is 100% correct.

11. Skreeonk

Skreeonk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I would like to see a comparison with Netflix BB. I dunno, do I need this BB? Eh, not really. But I prefer his look to the Netflix version, and with him supposedly being readily available, I might bite. Might look into selling my Netflix BB.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Ravewind

Ravewind Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Here's the CG 360:

• Like Like x 3
  13. Seanprime

Seanprime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I love that transformers is getting A level assortment purely from a brand awareness perspective, having bee Optimus and whom ever they choose next to be in this assortment will just help that brand as whole and help get new fans kids or whoever look for a figure to get things going. Especially if it will always be on the shelves

14. Altihex

Altihex Well-Known Member

I managed to get 2 pre-ordered from BBTS on Tuesday - 1 for just general ownership, and 1 to try and see if I can swap the head with a spare Origins 'Bee's head. I'm liking the lack of parts forming (Netflix 'Bee isn't horrid, but the backpack is still a backpack, NGL), and I can see the already-quoted retooling bonanza this could generate (c'mon, Glyph, Tap-Out, Bumper, and Cliffjumper ...).

I will say that if this had a smile, it'd be just about perfect for me. They were able to make a practically perfect 'Bee for Titans Return that had a delightful smile. Not a smirk, not a forced smile, just a pleasant smile. I'm not sure why this was so hard for this one.

• Like Like x 2
  15. artiepants

artiepants Transformers '84!!!

News Credits:
    No, that bit definitely looks terrible, it was one of the first things that jumped out at me.
    i feel like this lovely animation model really emphasizes that there is basically nothing particularly animation-accurate about this mold: alt modes way off, chest shape is way off, legs are way off….
    you’d think with all that engineering they could make him look at least semi-onmodel. And put his ankle at the ankle instead of the upper calf (that “ankle” tilt is seriously worse then just not having one IMHO)
    LOL, even Hasbro thinks its Core class.

Last edited: May 16, 2024
    • Like Like x 4
  16. JasonTFW2005

JasonTFW2005 Well-Known Member

Okay, thanks. I still think they'll figure out a way. Humans have figured out harder problems lol

• Like Like x 1
  17. Seanprime

Seanprime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I like it the more I see it

• Like Like x 2
  18. Bakarina

Bakarina Unapologetic Megatron Fangirl

If anything, bumping a historically smaller class character up to a deluxe class should mean he has either more accessories or more engineering than your usual deluxe class. Instead that deluxe prime has much more plastic, two more steps and more accessories. We're getting shortchanged.

• Like Like x 2
  19. ScorponokIsHere

News Credits:
    the way is to do a marvel comics version so that it's okay that his limbs are also blue

other than that, uh

welcome to nylon

• Like Like x 2
  20. ZipperMan29x

ZipperMan29x Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Cybertron 21 think its Core class not Hasbro

• Like Like x 1