SS86 Bumblebee first look!

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by John TheDestroyer, May 14, 2024.

1. Incepticon

Incepticon |-+-|

News Credits:
    Because of that pesky little thing we know as real world physics. For as much mind blowing 'magic' as Hasbro / Takara have indeed pulled off with engineering physical three dimensional toys that transform AND match animation models that should never actually work in the real world, there's only so much they can do in some instances. Bumblebee is a perfect example of it - literally every version made of a so-called "perfect" version shows this time & again - whether it's official or third party - even the "best" always leave something to be desired and/or has something that looks wrong or off. Every. Single. Time.

Really, outside of someone making a 6-foot version that is nothing but hundreds of folding panels to painstakingly have an accurate VW get into the proportions of the cartoon bot model, it's never going to be spot-on.

They'd more than likely throw it under Legacy G1 if they don't attempt a re-release of the character via SS86.

• Like Like x 2
  2. The Shashummga

The Shashummga Well-Known Member

It's a mainline Deluxe, Not a masterpiece figure; I don't know what you were expecting. Studio Series' always been loose-goosey when it comes to being screen accurate.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Fafnir72

Fafnir72 XYxInfinity

News Credits:
    Why would MPs be mad?o_O 

4. Basilisk

Basilisk It will give you infinite pleasure!

Nice! Yeah mine turned out great. Didn't make a thread for her yet.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  5. Fenrys

Fenrys Formerly Tigatron2002

News Credits:
    There's not really any issue with the VW license other than Hasbro chose not to pursue it with this figure. They've made use of a VW license as recently as ROTB Wheeljack

Yet

• Like Like x 3
  6. CobraKai

CobraKai Well-Known Member

I was kind of bummed he wasn’t an official VW rerelease, but i think the SS looks way better. His bot mode does match his on screen aesthetic more than the Netflix one. His chest/roof kibble looks streamlined. No partsforming (even tho im not opposed to that). Looks good.

• Like Like x 1
  7. MoonStreakr

MoonStreakr Heroic Decepticon

News Credits:
    Seems like you miss my point which is toon vs toy representation of a character. Your examples dont really apply at all, since Im talking about a G1 figure and a cartoon, and moreso the 86 subline, but even if they did Id argue that those are conceptual designs anyway.

8. CobraKai

CobraKai Well-Known Member

Yeah. I feel like the black would look better on guys like Brawn and Hound, but i know they were trying to match the colors of the animation.

9. Firestorm

Firestorm Red Mage in Training

I'm not saying you should enjoy the toy. But other than the roof being a bit taller and more square, I see NOTHING of Cliffjumper in this toy. Doesn't have a spoiler. The front end is 90% VW Bug. Cliffjumper's rear wheelwell is squared, not round. Ckiffjumper's bumper isn't black, its red. This figure is not 100% the G1 penny racer, but it is pretty darn close, IMO.

As for the KBB Hornet figure, I love him as a cheap alternative. He's fun. Looks great with faction symbols. But his face is a little pudgy for my taste. I think Hot Soldiers nailed the face better, even if he's a bit chubbier of a figure.

But I am definitely getting this new one. Just trying to decide whether to keep Netflix Bee or sell him.

10. Fenrys

Fenrys Formerly Tigatron2002

News Credits:
    I think you are the one that missed the point. 86 is a subline of Studio Series, and Studio Series has always been more than willing to deviate from source material. How is Crankcase a concept design? He was in the movie.

11. Sunbow Prime

Sunbow Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    What do you call Buzzworthy Grimlock and Kup then?

12. Halo Slayer 650

Halo Slayer 650 Member

I think the vehicle mode has me the most excited because at last Bumper will be coming

13. MST3KFan

MST3KFan Master of the Obvious

News Credits:
    The square chest/top of the car is what really bugs me about this new Bumblebee figure given they should have rounded things a little more...and then I noticed something particularly about the vehicle mode.

I'm thinking this is supposed to be a new Bumper figure and they decided to start out using the mold as a slightly remolded Bumblebee and then slap him in the SS86 line to get more attention given how many G1 style Bumblebee figures we've gotten over the past few years. (Buzzworthy, Walmart...)

Below is a comparison chart of the vehicle mode of Bumblebee in the "Penny Racer" like form including the new SS86 one...and G1 Bumper.
    Look at how the new SS86 Bumblebee's entire top of the car matches Bumper. Same window patterns, same boxy look... Outside of the VW Beetle-like headlight area, this is Bumper.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 8
  14. KylerWilmoth

KylerWilmoth Missing Link Wheelie

That's the thing though! The front is obviously designed to be modular so they can square it off for cliff/bumper/whatever and after adding a spoiler too it really will be a perfect cliffjumper.

As much as I'm disappointed in this Bee, I can at least find a positive in knowing this will be my ideal cliffjumper once it's slightly retooled. And make no mistake, they've already thought about it.

• Like Like x 3
  15. poisoncow

poisoncow ....

Theres a bunch of times in the toon he wasnt a pure yellow. Like with lots of Sunbow things change from frame to frame

16. Dark Starscream

Dark Starscream Defender of Beast Machines and Clone Wars

Yes, that's why I noticed that Hasbro likes to "manufacture scarcity", showing things as sold out on Pulse to create a sense of high demand when it floods retailers to make fans feel so lucky they found it.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Avon

Avon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Really like how he looks (though I\'d personally prefer him as a Goldbug repaint), but I\'d guess this will be one where how securely everything tabs together will count for a lot.

18. Ravewind

Ravewind Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If Bumper ever gets a figure out of this mold it'll be in the Legacy line or the new one coming next year (that "Prime" based one, right?).

19. Isaac Staffeld

Isaac Staffeld Pandacyy

I\'m really feeling this bumblebee. So cool man 

20. DrOblivian

DrOblivian Mad Doctor jAmS

that is a prefect example on why its NOT a budget issue imo. i own this figure and it is no more complex than a a current deluxe class figure. actually. if you take parts count into account. this may be *less* complex than a modern deluxe. literally take this figure and upscale it to deluxe class. the perfect bumblebee.

• Like Like x 2