Square Enix Play Arts thread

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by QuantumShock, Sep 16, 2010.

1. Raiju

Raiju Navel Shocker Veteran

News Credits:
    Looks great! Crisis Core, not sure if her design here is that much different from the actual original game itself though we haven't seen too clearly what Aerith will look like exactly in FF7 Remake yet, as I recall?

And ooph, dat price. I guess she'll be around ¥11,000 to ¥12,000 with preorder discounts but still, that's a decent chunk of change.

2. optics

optics Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  3. Ektris

Ektris Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Kairi is not being forgotten in the Bring Arts line! :D 

[​IMG]

Cloud & Sephiroth just revealed too:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And Neku from TWEWY:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  4. infinite_virtue

infinite_virtue Well-Known Member

The World Ends with You! I loved that game though I never completed it.

5. MisterGuyMan

MisterGuyMan Well-Known Member

6. infinite_virtue

infinite_virtue Well-Known Member

X-23 doesn't look too bad but the PAK price points are still too much for me for what they are.

7. Raiju

News Credits:
    Yeah, PAK prices are insane even in Japan. These figures shouldn't be over $100 USD; more like $70-$90 would be more reasonable. It's forced me to be much more selective in the PAK figures I choose to purchase.

8. Sarge133

Sarge133 Grimlock Nut

Ebay:
    Man, I need a Wolverine BAD now that X-23 is coming

9. Fr33domgundam

Fr33domgundam Well-Known Member

Yeah, I wished X-23 had an unmasked head. And maybe a shouting/screaming face as well.

Is it just me, or are PAKs kind of stingy when it comes to swap-heads?
    I'm STILL bugged that the always-happy-and-cheerful-and-often-smiling-and-winking Cidney Aurum from FFXV only comes with a serious-stoic face.

10. Raiju

News Credits:
    Picked up Final Fantasy VII Crisis Core Aerith Gainsborough for about $20 cheaper than retail. I read from some reviews that her face paint can be hit or miss (especially with the eyes looking off to one side instead of looking straight on ahead) but it looks like I lucked out with good paint on the opened eyes face for her.

20190125_113508-1008x756.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  11. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    Are Bring Arts better in quality than Play Arts Kai or right around the same, just smaller? The sculpts continue to impress but after seeing the other arm joint on my Ryu crack off without even doing anything to it..... I'm staying done with PAK. Tempted with Bring Arts due to scale and sculpt but if they feel the same as PAK, I'm out.

12. Raiju

News Credits:
    Cracked open Aerith and I really like her. The sculpt is pretty good and paint is good. Her legs have articulation but her skirt dress is molded in two pieces (front and back) which limit her posing quite a bit, unfortunately. (Before anyone asks, yeah, she has underwear but she has no abdomen to speak of, it's just a ball jointed shaft covered up by her clothing. :lol ).

20190126_142636-948x1686.jpg

I need to crack open FF7 Remake Cloud and Barrett to go along with her now. All in all, a good purchase but I would've felt a bit more let down had I paid full retail for her.

Bring Arts sculpting is decent but I have to say that it's not quite at the level of SHF or Figma. BA tends to be on the small side too, and don't quite scale with those other two lines since my Nier Automata B2 is slightly smaller than my Bandai and GSC figures.

Bring Arts isn't quite as refined with their articulation either, I think. The joints are fragile feeling and not as smooth or well engineered. I don't mess with B2 too much aside from occasional posing, and I treat her with kids gloves.

But I'm just speaking from just having B2 as my only BA figure thus far (actually, I do have Kain but haven't cracked her open yet).

Speaking of BA B2, Square Enix is releasing a v2.0 of her figure with improved sculpting around her waist and legs, and a butt load of new accessories.

• Like Like x 2
  13. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I see what you did there :p .

Yeah, B2 felt a bit off. She's really small and lanky, so the joints don't feel super good, especially in the legs, because the joint parts are kinda small and don't feel especially load bearing.

Sora, Riku, and Fei feel pretty damned good, though. I like Sora better than the SHFiguarts version. Guess I'll see how Elly turns out, or if it's the lankier female builds that are going to be the line's weakness.

Bring Arts feel better than the regular Play Arts Kai overall, IMO, due to the smoother articulation and more compatible scale with other toylines. None of this silly giant figure with iffy ratchet joints crap.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot

News Credits:
    Question for the collective that I'm not sure where to ask. Play Arts are always something I look at and drool but run when I see the price. I want to try and use an ebay coupon to grab one off ebay which would bring what I'm looking at to about $75 used. I can do that but I don't know where to look for a coupon. Any tips?

And anything I should look out for when browsing the secondary market for this brand?

15. MisterGuyMan

MisterGuyMan Well-Known Member

I usually just wait until TFW2005 posts those Ebay 1 day sales to get stuff off Ebay. Groupon usually has coupons available too.

If PAK is too expensive then try the knockoffs. I bought the PAK BvS because I needed extra hands and I wouldn't be able to tell honestly if it was real or not. The later ones are supposedly better and some videos on youtube comparing a few knockoffs from the real one too if you want to do more research.

16. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot

News Credits:
    How can I ID a knockoff?

17. AgniZX

AgniZX Active Member

Most of the time the front of the box is missing some stuff like the play arts logo or the authentication label. But some of the bootlegs have those so best way to tell is the ID located at the bottom of the box. Also if you can see a picture of the figure, depending on what it is, you’ll know something’s off (bootleg eyes suck).

Authentic:
    23AFB19D-D141-444A-9CB0-1C3C79395A07.jpeg

Bootleg:
    351B7608-9971-48A1-9B9F-871EE078187B.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  18. MatrixOfWumbo

MatrixOfWumbo I see you

News Credits:
    I know they made one of these for the main character when Dragon Quest XI first came out, but they've been moving at a smooth clip towards doing the whole crew.
    0750e0ba62d81a68da0d77c97b9d08c1_KR_738.jpg
    Square-Enix-Bring-Arts-Dragon-Quest-XI-Veronica-and-Serena-Promo-07.jpg Square-Enix-Bring-Arts-Dragon-Quest-XI-Veronica-and-Serena-Promo-05.jpg Square-Enix-Bring-Arts-Dragon-Quest-XI-Veronica-and-Serena-Promo-08.jpg

It's probably for the best that I didn't know these existed, they look really good given the art style but nothing is 125 dollars really good.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot

News Credits:
    Speaking of Bring Arts Dragon Qust figures, I don't suppose anyone would be willing to take some comparison shots mixing Bring Arts Dragon Quest and Figuarts Dragon Ball Z?

I'm tempted to grab some for DBZ custom fodder but can't find how well they go together.

Oh and on my Play Arts front I did manage to order a box less Zack for $75 shipped. I suspect it's a bootleg but if it's good I won't care much.

20. Raiju

News Credits:
    Those Dragon Quest Being Arts figures look really good. I especially like the one female warrior with the spear/guandao pole arm weapon. She looks properly badass. But I'm not familiar with the game that she's from since the last Dragon Quest game I played was way back in the day with II or III on the original NES, so I have no real attachment to her or any of these other characters.

Wish they'd make more Final Fantasy III/VI figures. Gimme a Kefka, Locke, Celes, or Shadow (with his dog Interceptor)!

• Like Like x 1