Spychangers / Gobots collection chart

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by ShadowStitch, Oct 22, 2012.

1. engledogg

engledogg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just remembered one more. W.A.R.S. (C2 - the translucent one) was repurposed as Autobot Camshaft under Universe:

Shmax.com: Product Information - Autobot Camshaft

EDIT: Tony_Bacala beat me to it...

You know, I really love these little guys...I've managed to get almost all of them (still need some of the clear "Super" repaints and Nightracer). I wonder if the molds are still viable? I mean sure, the transformations are uninspired, but they're cheap and they look great. I would love some new recolors of these guys.

MIKE
    engledogg

2. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I knew you'd like this thread, Bossman :cool: 

3. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

News Credits:
    So it's organized by mold? I love this! Now to organize one for Legends/Legion class figs...

4. Tripredacus

Tripredacus K-Mart-ian Legend

News Credits:
  5. ShadowStitch

ShadowStitch vectoring the hate plague

Hmm, okay, I'll add a note for that name re-usage as well.

Not intentionally -- I didn't even know they existed. Although without any photos, aren't they just alternately named foreign versions of the same original molds?

6. Tripredacus

Tripredacus K-Mart-ian Legend

News Credits:
  7. engledogg

engledogg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You'll find the wheel hole variations not just from international specimens, but from within the U.S. as well, even among the same toy.

I have two MOSC Gobot Soundwaves - one has larger holes on both front and rear wheels (so that all the holes touch the central one), but one has smaller holes (so that a gap can be seen between the central hole and the surrounding ones) on both front and rear tires.

Back when I discovered this, I just attributed it to how cleanly the holes were punched in the wheels - some were just done better than others, not really a true variant.

But, I could be convinced otherwise as it seems that, looking at the attachments, they had two different sets of front wheels (small hole, large hole) and two different sets of rear wheels (small hole, large hole) such that they always matched up - a Soundwave with large rear wheel holes will also have large front wheel holes; a Soundwave with small rear wheel holes will also have small front wheel holes.

But when confronted with this (also in my collection):

http://shmax.com/img/transformers/figure/large/2000/2585.jpg?1330532247

It has larger holes on the front wheels, touching the central hub , but smaller holes on the rear wheels with the gap between the hub and the holes...which would be a third variant. So...if you have this variant, there likely exists a fourth - one with smaller holes on the front wheels, but larger holes on the rear wheels...

This isn't just a one-off, either as I've got two MOSC Double Clutches (no photos though) and MOSC Frenzys where you can see variants in the wheel holes (attachments three and four).

You know me Trips, I'm all about variants, but would this be something that anyone would care about? I mean, this is even beyond what Fred has up on his site (FredsWorkshop.com), and his site is pretty much the measuring stick for variant madness.

So, this kind of stuff just isn't seen with the Italian Tecnobots, it's pretty much everywhere. And it doesn't stop at G2, it carries over into RID. Check out the attachments of Mirage.

Is any of this noteworthy? Maybe. Annoying to variant collectors? Absolutely. :)  I take some solace in the fact that this nonsense can really only happen with three of the molds (Double Clutch, Blowout, and Gearhead).

Because it's so random, I'm almost leaning towards just calling it factory quality control imperfections and calling it a day...my head hurts, haha.

MIKE
    engledogg

Attached Files:

8. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    Just for clarity's sake, the G2 Go-Bots came in three waves, all of which were gang-molded:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

It is my personal theory that BotCon Nightracer came from the same production run as the Japanese Go-Bots:
    [​IMG]

(Numbers indicate plastic colors)

9. Metroplex79

Metroplex79 Hey mouse, say cheese!

Awesome...I didn't know there were many Go-Bot/Spychanger fans.

Articulation? pfft. Spychangers are awesome even without articulation.

My favorite ones:
    -G2 Firecracker
    -G2 Bumblebee
    -RiD Mirage (regular and clear)
    -RiD Hot Shot
    -RiD Scourge
    -Universe Jazz

Since these guys are more or less the same size as Hot Wheels' cars, has anyone built a crazy track for them to go on? I've never tried this, as I am not a Hot Wheels collector.

10. BCap

BCap Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Hey, y'all got any idea where I can find any of the Spychangers for sale in Maryland/DC? I'm looking to start collecting them (mostly because they're small), and I'd like to know if anyone's seen any in ANY stores (i.e. toy stores that still have stuff lying around on the shelves, thrift stores, flea markets, etc.)

11. ShadowStitch

ShadowStitch vectoring the hate plague

@Bcap: You really might be better off trawling ebay. Occasionally you can get a whole pile of loose gobots/spychangers for very reasonable prices.

12. Tresob

Tresob Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Super-handy chart! Thanks!