Spotlight: Hoist Discussion (SPOILERS)

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by ZacWilliam, May 1, 2013.

1. ZacWilliam

ZacWilliam Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's out.

Art is not great. There are a number of moments that are good but might have been great with some prettier art. Especially the new combiner team. ;)  The impact of seeing em all and what they do would have ment a lot more if they looked more impressive and recognizable and the result was more visually awesome.

If I shut that out, it's a fairly nice stand alone done in one story. It has Swerve being Swerve, lets us check in on Sunstreaker. Gives us a passable idea who MTMTE Hoist is as a character (which is the point) and has a solid if slightly abrupt Twilight Zone-y ending.

Hoist being Maintnence I wouldn't have minded seeing what he could do for Swerve myself, but the issue was a little packed to start with.

-ZacWilliam, The ending could have used another panel or line of text I think, as it feels just a little bit abrupt despite making sense and working on the whole.

2. AdyCarter

AdyCarter Mentalist Conspiracies

Loved it, the "standing on each others shoulders line" made me audibly chuckle.

3. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I really enjoyed this issue of Spotlight: Swerve. When's the Hoist one due out?

4. ZacWilliam

ZacWilliam Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well the whole point of the issue is that Hoist is a farily nondescript, fade into the background sort of everybot, but it does manage to give him characterization and backstory despite that.

-ZacWilliam, just about my only complaint characterwise is I really couldn't hear the Cartoons' Hoist voice in his dialogue, but that's not a deal killer for me personally.

5. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot

News Credits:
    I enjoyed it but yeah it wasn't as awesome as others. I did like seeing Bob.

6. Digilaut

Digilaut Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Decent issue, the Decepticons combiner joke was indeed brilliant.

I also like how it seems the shuttle responsible for Hoist's shuttle crash in the past is
    the one Orion Pax was tied to by Bludgeon. Guess it didn't just bounce off, people actually died.

7. Kraken

Kraken Is a vegiesaurus, Lex. Veteran

News Credits:

8. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Liked that quite a bit. My one real beef is that Perceptor was superfluous. Also Bob should totally have be a catapult.

Also the "phobia shield" is a very Doctor Who esque plot device, but hey, it's James Roberts.

9. Kraken

News Credits:
    Not quite superfluous, he's the one who provided the info about the Phobia Shield, the others were clueless and it provided Hoist with the info he needed to exploit his own phobia and get them rescued. I think it's neat that he was welded to the floor, otherwise he'd have probably just gone into gun fondling battle stat mode and tried to take Tarn out himself.

In fact, knowing Roberts he probably had a whole bit planned with Percy dying to get out there and shoot something and trying to hurry Hoist up, and hoist calmly explaining that it'll take as ling as it takes or something along those lines, but had to be cut for space.

It really comes across in this issue that James is British, and I now have Swerve talking in a cheeky chirpy Cockney accent. 'Crikey!' :D 

10. Anguirus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ^ You know what, that's true, and totally valid. But it's frustrating to have Percy of all bots be in the issue for one line of dialogue. Could have been any scientist-themed cameo (not sure why Rodimus would even let the guy leave the ship he's so valuable). And I don't understand why when one of his major character traits is verbosity why he just sulks for an issue that's just one long conversation.

11. HeroicC300

HeroicC300 Chats with Artists

News Credits:
    I guess it's a good thing I intended to buy the Generations toy of Hoist.

So the story's good?

12. maku098

maku098 indeed a wise choice

News Credits:
    I just noticed it says Spotlight: Hoist - Issue One. I wonder what that means.

13. Kraken

News Credits:
    Probably just means that this is the stand alone issue instead of the comic packed one.

14. Anguirus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah, it's a vignette with good dialogue. 80% funny, 20% tragic. You know, James Roberts.

15. Kraken

News Credits:
    Fair point, but fans have been calling for him to ger Percy involved more than just being Brainstorms object of affection and a thorn in Roddy's side. I like that he was rendered impotant, it would have been deiving him crazy.

16. Nope

Nope yscohb

News Credits:
    I didn't mind the art, but I can't stand Sunstreaker's mouth. Good issue, though.

Overmegasixwave toy, please (after, of course, Chromedome/Skids/Rung/Atomizer/Brainstorm/everyone else in MtMtE)

17. fryguy81

fryguy81 Rungover

Ebay:
    Now that he's personality has been fleshed out some, I hear Christopher Eccleston as the Ninth Doctor for Hoist. a guy who hangs in the back but saves the day when needed. that's who the voice of Hoist is for me now.

18. PredaconElder

PredaconElder Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Too much of the others stealing the show and too little of Hoist.

Unfortunately Master Builders and Hoist Goes to Hollywood remain the definite material on the character.

19. fryguy81

fryguy81 Rungover

Ebay:
    It was an okay issue that didn't really do much as a story. We got some great characterization from everyone involved except Perceptor. Hoist as a blue collar type fits him but it just wasn't the best outing that Trailcutter lead me to think it could be. Ah well. It established the character well, we got some Sunstreaker time, Swerve really does have a low opinion about himself (which makes his funny and friendly nature so very sad and tragic all on its own).

The combiner bit was great but just not enough of it. It was adequate, which from James Roberts, is not what you expect.

The art is meh, not good, not bad, but Sunstreaker's skeleton face was annoying the crap out of me. I just got used to seeing Cyclonus in such a state and now the 'Streak? Unless Cyc is the third brother in that family of Laborghini's I don't want that look on the yellow traitor again.

But that's me.

20. Escargon

Escargon Meh.

News Credits:
    The "Swerve: Idol to Millions" panel was one of the best parts of the issue.

Also, Overmegasixwave was awesome. I wish he was real.