Spoilers - Machinima’s Transformers: Combiner Wars Episode #1 Discussion

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by SilverOptimus, Aug 2, 2016.

1. Convotron

Convotron Well-Known Member

I'm disappointed by the way that this first episode hits more negative notes than positive ones for me. The animation is not fluid. There is no excuse for that. The character designs are fine but it doesn't matter because everything moves so poorly.

The voices, not great at all. Menasor sounds like a kid playing with a voice modulator. That and the way the script had Windblade cry(I can't reconcile technologically based beings "crying") just sticks out like sore thumbs to me.

There is so much potential for the Combiner Wars cartoon to hit it out of the park and Machinima just totally whiffed it.

2. pokemonsdoom

pokemonsdoom MadameVixen

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    is it wrong I hope for windblade's story to play out like E-102 Gamma? You know she dies at the end, and not a single **** was given

3. bman29

bman29 Dancitron

Ebay:
    I think I might be getting diarrhea from this.

So Windblade is a potential Mary Sue in the making and can dispatch a combiner in a couple of hits, but another combiner can't put a dent into another one? Also I love how her face armor just falls off versus retracting.

Plus aren't these YouTube personalities doing the voice work? I know Jon Bailey is doing Optimus from the trailers and no offense to Jon, but he's great at the Honest Trailers, but he sounds like he's just doing an impression of Peter Cullen and not acting.

4. Convotron

Wait, there aren't proper voice actors on the cast? That explains it. Great.

5. Hot Shot.

Hot Shot. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm going to assume you haven't actually watched the episode and just rode in on your high horse to mouth off.

That, or you think Energon was a masterpiece.

And good quality stories sell toys. "To Sell Toys" doesn't excuse bad quality after a certain depth, especially when this was supposed to be targeted towards an adult audience.

6. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Veteran

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Much like the trailer and prelude videos, these first five minutes do not have me remotely convinced.

7. bman29

bman29 Dancitron

Ebay:
    I'm not totally sure about that, but for Jon Bailey. But it wouldn't surprise me if they did dip into the YouTube gene pool. Isn't that where Machinima came from originally anyway?

8. Onslaught24

Onslaught24 GATTAI Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    This series is exactly the massive heap of hot garbage I expected it to be. When we first heard of the cartoon, I was sincerely hoping we'd see combiner fights and whatnot and stories focused on the combiner teams; but seeing Windblade tear through combiners like butter was utterly disappointing. First off, the animation isn't the best. I know they're on a budget, but it felt so unbelievably like the Unicron Trilogy, and the mouth movements were horrendous. The voice work was probably the worst part of this entire thing. The audio quality was so bad it sounded like they were all using cheap $20 headset mics and emailed their recordings to the studio. The writing made the voicework even worse as Menasor just sounded like he was clenching his butt the whole time while amped up on steroids (that did nothing but make him unnecessarily angry), Computron was so tryhard-G1 it's not even funny, and Windblade was just...pathetic. She went from pissed off, to bawling as she mourned her friend (who served zero purpose), and right back to seething with rage over the course of 20 seconds with no sorts of transitions.

The part that irritated me the most about this 5 minutes of figurative lemon juice in my eyes was how they treated the combiners as characters. It seems like aside from the Constructicons, all the combiner teams won't be treated as teams, but rather as singular beings. When Nosecone and Afterburner were (somehow) punched off of the rest of Computron, they disappeared and were dismissed as if they were just regular limbs. Not characters whose fates are unknown after falling to the surface. And when Dead End was cut off, he was ignored as well. Didn't revert to robot mode or anything, and neither did the other three limbs. I get that Motormaster was sliced in half, but the other three weren't damaged, so they should have no reason to die with the rest of Menasor's body. Same goes for Computron. Lightspeed and Strafe should at least still be alive and it'd be nice to know what happened to the other two limbs. Even if they died upon slamming into the planet's surface, we at least know what happened to them. But Machinima was too lazy to even do that because that's just that many fewer models they have to make.

That's my :2c:  anyways. Not watching the rest of this series.

9. Convotron

If the voice acting is good, it doesn't need to be from seasoned professionals, I admit that, but I cringe when I am faced with the fact that Jon Bailey may be the most qualified voice actor on cast.

Hopefully this first episode is just a stumble and the rest of the series will improve but I just can't understand who thought the voice work for Menasor was satisfactory for the final cut.

I believe Machinima originated on Youtube or at least uses Youtube for the majority of its productions.

10. JudgeDeliberata

JudgeDeliberata Majestrix

News Credits:
    Not much to say that's not been said already. Completely failed at setting up combiners as any kind of credible threat, poorly animated, poorly voiced...not at all what I was hoping for. Embarrassing to watch.

11. pokemonsdoom

pokemonsdoom MadameVixen

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    doubt maxima is dead she has a sniper rifle and we see someone snipping starscream, and we all know lil miss perfect sakura...(cherry blossoms if you want the common speak for it), would never harm starscream, she likes him in the comics and this is based on the comics

12. pokemonsdoom

pokemonsdoom MadameVixen

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Wait it wasnt my pc skipping frames?

13. jjh

jjh Well-Known Member

Disappointing.

I might check back in when all the episodes are available for one watching. But I can't do this 5 minutes at a time. Too unsatisfying.

14. ssjkazer

ssjkazer mr dyslexia

News Credits:
    Animation 6/10
    Voiceing 4/10
    Im hard to please on those two
    Lenght 3/10(10/10 been a 22mins)

They made these combiners look weak, the way she cut them up the individual peices should of come at here she mearly seperated them, also only prime or megatron should be able to take on a combiner with that much ease.

But saying that menasaur was weakend by the fight with computron he also killed her friend in one hit

15. leadsled

leadsled the word is "Mortifying"

*shrug*

16. jackgaughan

jackgaughan Banned

News Credits:
    Windblade isn't the protag from Hatred in the comics like she is here.

17. grindcore138

grindcore138 ARF ARF!!!

News Credits:
    So, um, did anyone actually like this?

18. Megastar

Megastar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I like it and I bet less hardcore TF fans will like it more than the actually fandom.

19. Fortress Prime

Fortress Prime Guardian Robot

Ebay:
    Instagram:

Agreed. I want to like it, but this is not what I had in mind.
    Transformers Devastation was much better and that's a game.

20. Bendimus Prime

Bendimus Prime Rolls for initiative

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    I find it pretty sad that I just watched the first Machinima episode and then this fan film:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQUG3oawBbs, to which the fan film seems ten times better. And that one has actors in cardboard suits....