Spoilers - Machinima’s Transformers: Combiner Wars Episode #1 Discussion

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by SilverOptimus, Aug 2, 2016.

1. CybertronianFan

CybertronianFan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    As a hispanic, that didn't sound hispanic to me, but it sure reminded me of another type ...

Yep. This was total garbage. I went in with low expectations, walked away with a completely negative experience. The voice acting and script/narrative was Caca on a stick. This being 5-min episodes do not help it any better. Wish they took a page out of the Genndy Tartovsky book for directing shorts (Clone Wars shorts for example). Windblade carrying the magic cheeto blade to nail Combiners was cheap as all hell too.

If this episode heralds things to come, this series is doomed.

2. RKillian

RKillian http://www.rktoyandhobby.com

News Credits:
    Sure, just give me the budget that these people had.

Freefall punching shots were repeated.
    Did not care for Menasor's voice at all; made most of his dialog all the more cringe-worthy.
    Rarely got any sense of speed from either jet's flying.

Windblade had an acceptable voice.
    Transformation clips were well done.
    Art and models were alright.

I don't like the 5-minute format. I didn't like it when Genndy Tartakovsky used it for Clone Wars a decade and a half ago either. There's just nowhere meaningful that they can go with this 5 minutes at a time. Honestly, I really don't see the point; it's too late for short blurbs to sell the toys and there's just not enough for it to stand on its own.

3. convoy84

convoy84 misses you like the deserts miss the rain.

News Credits:
    So, I just now saw this episode thanks to band camp and all the stuff that came with it. Here's what I thought:

*To a certain degree, my expectations were exceeded. Animation was better than the trailers and promos led on, and the plot, while bare, got the job done for its runtime.

*I thought that Dashie as Menasor worked rather well and liked the auto-tuning effect they put on his voice. Windblade's VA worked too, but less so.

*Meanwhile, Ricky as Computron...alright, so I know few people here watch the shows Ricky appears on, but I'll tell you one thing:

Knowing him and the stuff he's capable of, he can do better.

Truthfully, this is just him doing a basic "beep boop, I am a robot" voice and not much else, which disappoints me because I had high hopes for his portrayal.

*That said, am I going to stop watching? No. The first episode got me interested to where I'm going to continue watching to see where the story goes.

*At the same time, however, does anyone feel like this series should've came sooner? I honestly wonder if doing this series and theming it around combiners was an afterthought; they should've saved their resources for a Titans Return series and had that in production during CW and ready to go when the TR figures hit shelves, allowing for a wider cast of characters instead of just shoehorning in the characters that "just so happened" to be in the big-ticket box sets.

*I also really hope there's not a Power Core Combiners complex with this series, where the combined robots are characters, but the "limbs" are treated as such, as body parts and nothing more.

That is all!

4. DecepticonSpike

DecepticonSpike Member of the Scrappy Doo Fan Club

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Gave it a re-watch. Still came away with the feeling that this was a huge lost opportunity to really give us a Transformers Prime type show set in a G1 universe.

5. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    I am going to go out on a limb and say that you are the ONLY person here who thought Menasor sounded better than Computron.

I also think you are probably one of only two people who think Menasor's voice didn't completely suck. Maybe if I knew the voice actor, I'd feel more charitable about the character's voice, but I don't think so. It would definitely be an awkward position to be in.

Windblade, I thought sounded fine for the most part. With her and Maxima, it was mostly the script that made them sound ridiculous.

It's funny that they knew they only had 5 minutes, and they used an entire minute of that to show them falling. 1/5 of the entire run time was BING....Bong...BING...Bong....BING.............Bong...over and over again as they circled each other and repetitively punched each other. It was almost funny.

6. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    I thought Menasor sounded better in that he actually sounded like a person and not a parody robot voice.

But they're both fuckin harrahble voices so it's hardly a major victory.

7. I Am James

I Am James Emirate Xaaron

Instagram:
    YouTube:
    A 5 minute episode? With a total of 8 episodes in the entire series this will only last for 40 minutes!!! This was in development for over a year and this is all they could come up with? Most of these toys aren't even out yet! When is episode 2 coming out? Aaarghh!

8. convoy84

convoy84 misses you like the deserts miss the rain.

News Credits:
    ...what's wrong with me thinking that?

I'm just saying I know what Ricky can do and I wish he could've brought that to Computron instead of phoning in a cross between B-9 and Omega Supreme.

Maybe Dashie would've worked better as Motormaster (as I said, though, I fear we won't get to see the individual team members), but with the foresight on Ricky's part, I prefer Dashie to Ricky. I'm sure the majority of the TFW denizens, who went in blind, thought otherwise, but that's just me. And you know what? That's okay.

9. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    But at least with Computron, there is precedent for the character sounding like a ridiculous BEEP BOOP robot. If they'd gone another way, that would have been cool, but I can accept this. But Menasor sounds silly to me. It definitely didn't help that they have him say stuff like, "Nerd!" But the voice itself is awful to begin with.

10. ErbFan28

ErbFan28 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I can't even watch it. What the hell?! I live in the US too. I can't even find the video on Machinima's YT page

11. Lord Dcast

Lord Dcast Dr Lockdown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Not in the US? Download the chrome extension 'Hola'.

Or just watch it on Youtube.

And damn, I thought I was going to unsubscribe from the thread. Whoops. Must've forgot. Ah well, things are calming down anyway.

12. ErbFan28

ErbFan28 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I just watched it on go90 or whatever the hell it was called.

That was abysmal. Menasor's voice...what?! The "action" between Menasor and Computron was extremely generic. A lot of the animation reminded me of TF: Energon.

13. Ryan F

Ryan F Transform and Roll Out! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    As a low-budget effort, the production values weren't too bad. Yes, it doesn't compare well to more professionally-made products, but it's very harsh to judge it against those.

As a fan of a lot of low-budget productions (I love 1960s Doctor Who, for example), I'm willing to suspend disbelief and give creators the benefit of the doubt if the story transcends the limits of the production.

The thing is, the story iself is so hard to judge. We're five minutes into a forty-minute production. Just as you can't really judge 'Lord of the Rings' from its opening chapter, I'm loath to post a definitive review at such an early stage, based on such a scant amount of action.

I will agree that a lot of the quibbles mentioned upthread are certainly valid. The Transformers war has supposedly been ongoing for millennia, with robots over millions of years old, and yet they fall apart here so easily. And whilst the first episode was an action-fuelled affair full of character deaths, those deaths are essentially meaningless because - at such an early stage - I'm not invested in these characters enough yet to care much about them.

By my main gripe is the episode-length. Yes, I knew in advance these were going to be short episodes, but if you're going to do short episodes then the scripts should be written with that medium in mind.

This feels like a forty-minute episode hacked into chunks, rather than something specifically written with the five-minute format in mind. I've seen other web series (notably, the Doctor Who web animations 'Dreamland' and 'The Infinite Quest') which play up to the short running-time and worked both as individual episodes and as a complete compilation. This feels as if it might work as part of a larger whole, but as a single installment it doesn't really work.

I'll continue to tune in to this series in the hope that, as the canvas expands, things will fall into place. I didn't find the voices or animation as objectionable as other seem to have, and hope that future episodes will focus more on character and motivation than pure action.

14. deathsheadII

deathsheadII Not a Bounty Hunter yes?

News Credits:
    for those that can't watch it use usurf... been using it for years for stuff thats not watchable in the uk and for torrents

https://ultrasurf.us/

15. Skyclaw

Skyclaw 6 Types of Madness!

Here's a review I found on yahoo.com and then re-directed me to Forbes.com

Forbes Welcome

16. The Ramjet

The Ramjet Get. Out.

That review :lol 

17. usernamedustin

usernamedustin Banned

Review or paid endorsement?

I wonder if Hasbro can send this back to their retailer? It seems like these toys have tons of QC issues. Arms fall off, faceplates fall off, the combiners don't stay together, the combiner limbs won't transform properly, and there seems to be a LOT of paint missing.

18. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    I honestly think had they increased the length of the episodes to around 12 minutes or 10 it would have made a world of difference story wise.

19. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
  20. Negativedark

Negativedark Stealth Gesalt

This has always been one of my problems with the more kill happy transformers series. The war has been going on thousands to millions of years. Anyone who wasn't very good at staying alive would have died long ago. And when characters die it should have weight.