Spoilers - Machinima’s Transformers: Combiner Wars Episode #1 Discussion

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by SilverOptimus, Aug 2, 2016.

1. Neko-bot77

Neko-bot77 Face it, we're doomed.

News Credits:
    Pros:
    -combiners fighting!
    -like, REAL FIGHTING. not 'kid friendly nobody gets hurt or dies' fighting
    -no humans mucking up a Transformer story!
    -not on earth!
    -Hasbro-version CW Computron now cannon!
    -"THE COUNCIL HAS THE ENIGMA! THEY'RE GOING TO MAKE AN ARMY OF COMBINERS!" squeeee!

Cons:
    -apparently combiners are easy to kill???
    -Windblade is a total hardass b**ch
    -choppy animation
    -wierd voice choices

Will I watch it for free? Yes. Do i want it on DVD/blu-ray because i have OCD when it comes to buying EVERY TF series on disk? YUP!

2. Hot Shot.

Hot Shot. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Psychological flaws can definitely be part of a Mary-Sue if the creator/writer thinks they're a badass thing to have.

3. BB Shockwave

BB Shockwave Behold, Gagatron!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hah.
    Hahahaha...
    Hahahahahahaaa....

No, please continue and tell us HOW this heap of scrap is better written, animated and voice acted than RID. I am eager with anticipation on how you can delude yourself so much. :D 

Btw, yeah, this Machnimia has elicited such universal hate from the fandom, the likes of which I have last seen at the 2016 Ghostbusters trailer only.

4. Burnout

Burnout Rogue Mercenary

It was like watching a ford pinto hit a pothole. ;) 

5. BB Shockwave

BB Shockwave Behold, Gagatron!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Motormaster is still there. And RID Windblade will be. Oh and G2 Menasor is out, right now.
    Not saying this short is good, mind you, but it's not failing on the marketing departments, really. It will still feature Bruticus and Victorion, and those toys are just released now (G2 Bruticus, that is).

6. Lord Dcast

Lord Dcast Dr Lockdown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    But...don't they count as a flaw? Flaw's, badass or not, don't they go against the whole idea of a Mary Sue (IE flawless) character? By that logic, go ahead and call Saitama a Gary Stu, or the same for Sherlock. And since when did Mary Sue become the worst thing to happen to a character, and why is it that every non-G1 Fembot has been labelled a Mary Sue? In fact why does every modern female progatonist get labelled a Mary Sue?!

7. Lord Dcast

Lord Dcast Dr Lockdown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Can I post a discussion video when I'm done? Trying to argue my case in every single post is getting annoying.

8. rcaddict

rcaddict Well-Known Member

Much anticipation....ended up ....much disappointment.....

9. Skyclaw

Skyclaw 6 Types of Madness!

Well I watched this last night and here's my 2 cents:

Way too short! I was expecting at least 25mins of Combiner action.

They could have provide some background story? Unless the comics lead up to this point?

Animation? I thought was pretty good. (Still better than beast wars, Energon and the rest)

Voice acting: I like the girl who does Windblade, but who does Menasor just killed it!! Find someone else please.

I don't see how Computron got his ass kicked by Menasor when Computron took care of a Abominus. I feel Abominus is a much bigger threat than Menasor.

And the idea of already killing Computron, Menasor and Maxima was just wrong! At least they could do is kept both of them around for the first 4 or 5 episodes then killed them off. I felt I was watching The Walking Dead or Game of Thrones.

If their trying to the GI Joe Resolute thing, ok I get it. But at least give us heads up.

10. soundwave144

soundwave144 #1 Best, good friend of Soundwave on the planet.

News Credits:
    I agree about her being too powerful and all, but SURELY they can and will explain why. But other than that, I will have to respectively disagree about liking it.

11. Naroki

Naroki Well-Known Member

This is worst than I expected, their prelude is fine though.

Bad action scene, poor CGI model , pointless story telling , terrible voice actor.

I can't fine any positive in it.....

12. Sonic Eclipse

Sonic Eclipse Maximal

Ebay:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Menasor definitely kept giving me flashbacks to Energon Ironhide lol.

I like Windblade's voice but her acting needs improvement.

13. DoctorJoe

DoctorJoe who?

News Credits:
    I hate to pile on, but the quality of this was just poor... animation was sub standard yielding robots without any true weight ( felt like cardboard boxes fighting)... combiners are supposed to be ultimate weapons and hard to destroy... this was not the case. and the voices were terrible for two reasons... shouldn't sound like a kid ( or talk like one " nerd" ? really? ) but should have more heft ( think devastator from the original animated movie) and the dialogue was atrocious and poorly executed....

Just so bad..... I'm sure the team worked hard and this isn't meant to be personal, but the end result is just not good...it happens in life... maybe they'll learn from this

14. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

News Credits:
  15. Blot

Blot The most disgusting of all Transformers.

News Credits:
    Since it was announced a while back that this would be weekly 5 minute episodes, that did not surprise me like it did some. Also, to respond to some other comments, I know TFs were founded on a cartoon serving as a commercial for toys, but I never saw any indication in the build-up that that was the point of this series. It seemed like an idea that grew out of the popularity of Combiner Wars, and was more like a bonus for people who have the toys or read the comics to see them "in action."

As for the actual content, I guess I don't understand what Machinima is, because from my limited knowledge of it, I just though it was some youtube channel centered around "geeky" content and so I was expecting general youtube channel quality. I was not expecting the quality of a cartoon that would actually be on TV or an actual feature film. In that sense, as far as the technical quality (animation, acting, etc.) I was not disappointed. It was what I expected.

As for the story, it is too early to judge the whole thing obviously, but I did not like how the two combiners were taken down so easily by Windblade. Admittedly, I never liked Windblade in other things, so I am biased against her from the start in this one. Regardless, I would rather the focus be on the combiner teams warring against each other, than on Windblade killing them because she dislikes the fact that they are warring against each other.

16. Hot Shot.

Hot Shot. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It has to do with perception. If the creator gives their character a mental flaw because they think it makes them even more exceptional, then it still easily qualifies as a Sue. We can see it for the flaw it is, but that doesn't mean the writer can. Case in point: Sonichu, who now shares CWC's gender dysphoria.

It's character destruction which, contrary to the writer's intention, kills all interesting or likable qualities.

I haven't seen that complaint about Nautica because she's written as just another character.

I'll answer that question with another question: Why are many modern female protagonists written as pretentious as possible?

17. usernamedustin

usernamedustin Banned

Oh.
    So that was G2 menasor in the clip?

18. Deadend

Deadend Spark of Creation

News Credits:
    Overall, I liked it.

Designs were good. Animation was decent for the budget. The aesthetic style worked. Voice acting for windblade was fine. Menasor was as expected to be an over-arrogant cliche plot device.

Windblade showing emotion was decent.

Not perfect, but a decent early attempt to experiment with.

As for the complaints from others:

Menasor was trapped in a building standing on one leg. He had no maneuverability in comparison to two jets attacking him that are nothing but maneuverability. Windblade attacked his joints, the weakest points, from behind at that, where he couldn't reach or see because an entire floor of the building was in the way to block his view.

Sucks that Maxima was dispatched so easily, but it did give a suggestion of how hard a combiner can hit.

I'd be more miffed if a lightsaber like sword bounced off of menasor. It's a freaking light saber like sword, it should be able to cut through anything.

It's not so much that combiners can get destroyed easily or that Windblade is overpowered, it's situation. I don't expect all of them to be that easy to defeat. Especially considering Menasor had been fighting Computron for who knows how long prior to this, and also did a planetfall and fell through a building. He's definitely not in a perfect state. Then you factor in he is fighting a 'city speaker' that's a jet and agile. Someone that was literally trained to read subtle movements and processes of an entire city. Yeah, windblade making short work of him was to be expected. It highlights her character skill and training as an agile city speaker with high maneuverable flight.

That being said, the problem with combiners has always been their size and the collateral damage they cause when fighting because of that. They are big lumbering giants. So a versatile maneuverable fighter would do well against them unless sucker punched. They ARE giant bruisers.

That's not to say this show is perfect, but as first attempts go, I want to see hasbro expand on these endeavors more. It has a lot of promise, and I could see this doing well with a larger budget, longer runtime, and a better avenue of release for the media.

I'm looking forward to seeing how the whole season plays. This was basically a cold open, but in a 5 minute format, a cold open doesn't work that well, because that makes the whole first 5 minutes the cold open. (Which in this case, is the whole episode itself.) So I look forward to seeing this completed as a whole to get a better picture of the story and push.

I hope Hasbro does look into expanding the possibilities of this kind of show where G1 is the focus on designs and elements. It has potential. As a test goes, this wasn't bad. It yields some great potential for exploring similar forays in the future in other media outlets.

It's not quite GI Joe resolute, but it wasn't expected to be, and with some tweaks on future attempts like this, I could see Hasbro ironing out some of the bugs in the process on what to keep and what to scrap. As first attempts go, it has a lot of promise and is very detail oriented in the action. Windblade comes across as a very stern character with some character history we'll hear about later, and it was interesting to see what a rage induced highly maneuverable city speaker with a laser sword can do to what's a 'raging combiner' stuck in a building on one leg with the building holding him up.

As for comparing this to Roosterteeth. Don't. Roosterteeth's original animation department was pioneered by Monty Oum. It hasn't felt the same since... They are expanding, but sometimes it feels like their expanding is missing what really made that company successful. It doesn't quite have the same heart it used to.

19. FAKER II

FAKER II Cheap Repaint

My two cents:

- I prefer cell frame animation but acknowledge it is a dead art. Given that CG is the only way forward, I really prefer this look over more traditional CG like Beast Wars or Prime. Even in what should have been a dark setting, there was a vibrant quality to the look that is typically not seen in CG cartoons. It reminded me a lot of Transformers Devastation.

- I'm getting flashbacks of GI*JOE Resolute. I loved what they were trying to do at the time. But after it was all finished, it just kind of faded into obscurity.

- I would LOVE a G1-ish reboot as a full animated series done in this style of animation. But then that begs the question - what continuity? Is it G1 Sunbow cartoon, G1 Japanese cartoon continuity, G1 Comics, G1 IDW, brand new reboot? Perhaps a multiverse story where all those continuities exist as different universes and we see teams made up from the different universes.

20. Lord Dcast

Lord Dcast Dr Lockdown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    You know I've tried arguing my case but nobody's listening. Unsubbing from thread...