Spoilers: Lorenzo di Bonavetura Explains The Mid-Credit Scene From Transformers: Bumblebee

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by SilverOptimus, Jan 4, 2019.

1. st.ranger

st.ranger Emperor of Destruction

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Bay is finally out, now is time to kick Bonaventura.

• Like Like x 10
  2. Dinobot Snarl

Dinobot Snarl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This is what I took from this.

The future of the Transformers Movie Franchise remains in terrible hands.  Don\'t get your hopes up that they\'ll do what\'s right.

• Like Like x 7
  3. Hadlen_Weltall

Hadlen_Weltall The original Mad Genius Gunpla and Cow Master

News Credits:
    It was one thing when Tom DeSanto was making the press rounds when the first movie came out and was dropping names and hints about characters without knowing what was going on with the films themselves, but this is just bad logic and it's going to have an impact on the franchise's future.

• Like Like x 5
  4. marktron

marktron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ha ha ha ha ha.... Its a Prequel not a reboot.. END!.

• Like Like x 2
  5. User_136440

User_136440 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So 100% not a reboot, but they cut out direct references to the previous movies because....?

• Like Like x 5
  6. Destron Supreme

Destron Supreme My Gee-Wun is the One with the Chins.

YouTube (Legacy):
    To be fair, I can see why he is hesitant to call it a reboot. Don’t get me wrong, I want Bumblebee to be fully removed from the Bay films- and it obviously is- but for years, reboots and remakes had the stench of grizzly death on them. I assume this guy’s been producing for a while, and recalls when that was the case, especially for big movies; just look at 2001 Planet of the Apes or the Robocop remake. While this is no long the case, Lorenzo doesn’t seem like the kind of guy who would shift his mindset on this, and is doing everything he can to hide the fact that Bumblebee was a remake to try to secure its ability to succeed. He’s still harming the film by contradicting everything Hasbro and Travis Knight are saying, thus making it seem like there are too many cooks to the normal audience goers, but I think he means well. Still, well intentions, roads to hell, all that sentiment.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Galvatross

Galvatross Dom Dom, Yes Yes Veteran

Well to be fair to The Last Knight, as flawed as it was as a film and sequel, Cybertron certainly was much more damaged in the fifth film, and we only see an outer section of Cybertron in Earth's orbit in DotM and not the whole planet.

That said, I agree fully with what you say about fictional universes.

Personally, I don't think it's a stretch to say that space-faring robots could come to Earth in 1987, leave Planet Earth for some reasons, and then come down to Earth in 2007 again. We have literally seen Transformers in the movies leave Earth and come back. Megatron after being revived in Revenge of the Fallen. Lockdown after capturing Prime in Age of Extinction. Optimus Prime leaving Earth at the end of Age of Extinction and returning as Nemesis Prime. Optimus Prime could easily leave Earth sometime after arriving in Bumblebee and return in 2007. No different than in Star Wars or something of that nature.

I'm not saying there aren't valid continuity questions, because there are. I just think people are rushing to conclusions too easily with this issue. The Bumblebee film could turn out to be either in the Bayverse or in a new continuity. Although there's been no statements from Knight or Lorenzo suggesting it's definitely a reboot by any stretch.

8. Digger

Digger Banned

News Credits:
    Bullshit. The autobot crew landed as protoforms in 2007. There’s no fucking way they would’ve left Cybertron in what seem like 1-2 use ships. And somehow got back to Cybertron, only to travel to earth by jumping through space as a ball. Not to mention all the other stuff that contradicts the films. Somebody stop this man. Unless he’s deliberately creating some facade instead of what the films hopefully will become.

• Like Like x 6
  9. savio-prime

savio-prime Autobotist

Ebay:
    Didn't Bee insist on staying on Cybertron to fight for it, and Optimus tell him that they will, but they must establish a new base first?

I'm in the "praying the Bumblebee Movie works out to be a reboot" group primarily because of the severe lack of continuity in the 5 Bayverse films. Secondarily, because as a parent, the Bumblebee Movie is the most CHILD friendly film of the franchise.

It didn't have 20 - 50+ uses of sh!t, d@mn, d!ckhe@d, F#\K and various other foul words nor did it have gratuitous upskirt shots of teenage girls, special brownies, horny pretender-bots, S7 jock straps, Victoria Secret model booty, Romeo & Juliet romance laws, ghetto trash-talking stereotypical bots, conversations about scantily clad college freshman girls and needless and endless sexual content etc etc etc that above all else have absolutely nothing to do with telling a story about Autobots waging their battles to destroy the evil forces of the Decepticons. The TRANSFORMERS!

The foul language was minimal, flaunty spoiled and insecure vixens = 1, sexual/adult humor practically zero. Robot action and character development was very satisfactory and not overwhelming. It felt like the closest thing to a wholesome Transformers movie we're probably going to get, and that goes 180° in the other direction from Bay's essentially morally bankrupt movies. Bay can deliver on action scenes no doubt. I love many of the TF designs he's delivered. I give him that much.

However, I felt very comfortable with my 10 year old son watching this movie. It delivered on nostalgia for me, plus it has a good and cohesive storytelling of a bot with a simple mission from beginning to end. It was fun, humorous and Bumblebee's struggle was engaging throughout.

I hope future TF movies follow the general formula used in the BB Movie. With how different this movie is, I hope the movie studio heads don't use this opportunity to validate LDB's comments.

Go back to Cybertron? Sure, do it. But follow through with setting up an Autobot base on Earth. Return to Earth thereafter? Why not.

With the BB Movie being a prequel, a few things bother be: the Protoforms of '07 don't make sense anymore. Prime sending Bee to Earth to set up a base to regroup in order to continue the fight for Cybertron - with no mention of the Allspark would need more explanation. Cybertron looking like the land of honeycombs makes no sense either. Prime not caring about S7 capturing Bee in '07, well I guess that could be explained in future installments. There's a lot of other things, but I think from a creative standpoint, this is a great opportunity to tell new stories that do not have to be forced into the Bayverse. I'm down for a Knightverse!!!

• Like Like x 4
  10. Hobbes-timus Prime

Hobbes-timus Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    1985: Megatron is built by the Constructicons before turning the Constructicons against their friend Omega Supreme and then coming to Earth and building the Constructicons.
    Yay.jpg

2019: Optimus was on Earth but then he left and came back.
    Boo.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  11. agent j 15

agent j 15 Banned

Y’all being reeeeaaaaaal generous using the word “explain” here

Maybe we should stop taking producers word as gospel when half the time they don’t even know the story of the film they’re doing and are really just there to help secure financing and marketing. No offense to Lorenzo at all but I really feel like he’s being blindsided with questions that are better suited for Christina Hodson or Travis Knight.

It’s a fuckin reboot, by the way, just say it already

• Like Like x 5
  12. Thundermania

Thundermania Banned

Are you insane? Disney already has enough of a monopoly on the film industry and look what they did to Star Wars! The Mouse can stay far away from Optimus.

• Like Like x 1
  13. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave Bounty Hunter

News Credits:
    I don't think any canon stories have contradicted that statement. That may very well be what they had in mind when they created the character, even if it is kind of goofy (it probably came from the writers room, not Lorenzo anyway.

Eh, we only saw a tiny potion of the Cybertronian war with those designs, and it was from far away. Maybe the robots fighting that particular battle look different, who knows.

Yeah, but it's not like he had parts from a real-life model of jet. The scientists may have gathered that he has some sort of shape-shifting ability, but probably not that his species could literally change into a Jeep.

14. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Content Contributor Veteran

News Credits:
    It would've been better if Di Boniventura said nothing about the scene and left it up to fan interpretation. Wouldn't be surprised if Brian Goldner announces that Bumblebee rebooted the franchise during the next conference call.

We had 10 years of Bay/Boniventura-verse. It's time for change.

• Like Like x 11
  15. DrOblivian

DrOblivian Mad Doctor jAmS

But we are still ignoring ww2 stuff. Which had already contradicted the whole "entire reason they are on earth is because of the allspark to begin with" but bumblebee also now contradicts the ww2 stuff because it cements that 87 if the first time hes ever been on earth.

So its still all bullshit. Got it. He has no idea wtf is going on.

Edit: there are still so many other Major contradictions not including these its not even funny.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
  16. Retroheavy

Retroheavy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Someone must be sending that guy death threats we don’t know about. Even a decent politician couldn’t convince me at this point that it’s not a reboot.

If they want to move forward with this movie attached to the previous films and not a springboard for a new franchise, then that might be the most ******ed thing ever done in the history of show business.

• Like Like x 2
  17. VortexPrime

VortexPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm waiting for him to say all the Bay movies were prequels to the 1986 one...

• Like Like x 3
  18. HuffR_WFCTX_91135

HuffR_WFCTX_91135 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    See below

• Like Like x 4
  19. Digger

Digger Banned

News Credits:
    Yeah I very much your points here. The chance of new, consistent continuity and a change of tone is much appreciated.
    Would be cool. I mean I’d probably hope for something like that after they can make another good transformers film but that would be epic.
    Yeah. They should just be quiet about it. It creates a lot of panic and hysteria.

20. TommyHawk

TommyHawk Active Member

Di Bonaventura's idiocy strikes again!

• Like Like x 2