Spoilers for "The Battle for Cybertron"

Discussion in 'Transformers Cyberverse and Cartoon Discussion' started by SaberPrime, Mar 16, 2020.

1. SaberPrime

SaberPrime System Pride

Drift shows up with red eyes in the first episode which seems to be some pretty obvious foreshadowing for a later episode. If Deadlock was placed with the Autobots as a spy the whole time... what exactly did he do as a spy? I mean we never really saw much of him as an Autobot. There was just that episode where he defects from the Decepticons, then he was pretty much only used as a background character until now. What was even the point?

Perceptor goes blind but has other means of perception... Did they make him blind just to set up this pun? Also I guess this means that both Perceptor and Chromia were hostages in the alternate universe as well.

The Ark is destroyed and it's shown in a flash back how the Autobots survived. In that Flashback Optimus talks to Hot Rod and hints at him maybe becoming Rodimus Prime in the future but that seems to go no where.

It's not clear how the Decepticons ended up with the Scraplettes or how they managed to keep them from eating everything... and also they just kinda stand there while Optimus has a PTSD flashback, goes back to fighting Megatron and they do nothing until Megatron is shoved in there with them. There was nothing stopping them from leaving that room so why didn't they attack right away?

Suddenly out of no where Windblade wants to destroy Vector Sigma. I thought they needed that for the Allspark to work. And Wheeljack just goes along with it. It's not made clear why this is even a goal until much later when Optimus says "Now you can't use it to corrupt the AllSpark to your own twisted will Megatron." Would of been better if they had talked about that before hand so it was clear why they were doing that. Also it's not really destroyed, it's sent to unspace so there's a chance Bludgeon could find a way out of there and bring it back.

And surprisingly a lot of characters die during these episodes... and not just random generics though there are a lot of generics too... but actual main characters are just killed off.

Prowl: Receiving a similar wound to his G1 counterpart.

Hot Rod: Stabbed by Deadlock/Drift and uses his last bit of life after being wounded to make sure the traitor goes down with him.

Deadlock/Drift: Dragged into some kind of toxic Energon run off... which is weird because I thought Energon was suppose to be a clean burning energy source which would mean there wouldn't be any toxic waste created by it. But Energon seem to work differently in every continuity so we'll excuse that one.

Bludgeon: MAYBE he could die in unspace, it's really unclear if he's actually dead but they're kinda treating it like a death for now.

Megatron: Seemingly eaten alive by scraplets.

Shockwave: Weaponizing his own spark to destroy the AllSpark.

Cheetor: Sacrificing his spark to restore the AllSpark.

This almost feels like a series finally rather a season opener... Like I'd really be OK if the show just ended here. There's more episodes though and like where is it going from here? I kind of get this feeling that none of these deaths are really going to be permanent... especially Hot Rod given the forshadowing to him being leader of the Autobots some day... he kind of lead a small team consisting of him, Bumblebee, and Cheetor but I think there are plans for Hot Rod to some how return in a future episode...

It also doesn't help that the episodes have already aired in other countries just not in the US yet so I've kind of accidently run into some spoilers for future plot lines that I'm not going to discuss here. I don't have all the details anyway but I'd like to avoid further spoilers as much as possible...

The toy line also seems to maybe contain some possible spoilers but I'm kind of hoping those are just toy only things that won't be in the cartoon... cause that would kinda suck if the toy line is actually giving away spoilers now.

Mainly what I'm referring to is the Quintesson figure that comes with Prowl and Shockwave with some sort of what I assume are mind control helmets on. I think it would make for an interesting episode idea but why release those figures before the episode has aired? At least do the spoiler box thing like they're doing with the Netflix series.

There's also a figure I saw of an Evil Hot Rod that might be a spoiler for how they bring him back after his death here. Or it could just be another random black repaint like they've done in the past.

Take this with a grain of salt for now... I'm using spoiler warning just in case but I could be wrong about all of this... and if you've already seen past the opening 4 parter please do not confirm or deny these details here... this thread is only for The Battle of Cybertron episodes. I know future episodes have already aired outside the U.S. but I have not seen them yet. I'm just speculating based on some leaks I've seen and I'd prefer to wait till it airs here to watch them.

Just cause I have spoilers in the title doesn't mean spoil EVERYTHING. I also have specifically the Battle for Cybertron in the title. The spoiler warning is only specifically for the 4 parter and nothing beyond that. Please use spoiler tags if you do discuss anything beyond these 4 episodes.

• Like Like x 1
  2. jungle penguins

jungle penguins Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    The Drift thing is weird, definitely a decision made specifically for season 3. I think it would've work had he gotten a focus episode in season 2, and the same applies to a lesser degree to Prowl.

Bludgeon is likely dead, given how anyone who travels to unspace will be destroyed after a period of time(Season 2 finale). Seems like Vector Sigma is used to program specific instructions to the Allspark, so I guess the Autobots don't really care about manipulating the Allspark.

Shockwave apparently got the ability to control Scraplets in Season 2 Episode 12, so I guess not all of them died in the cave fight?

A pretty decent start to the season despite some issues. But like you said it was probably better as a Season 2 finale. Thoughts on the "new" characters introduced? Kup, Whirl, Alphastrike (Strika but name changed) and a few others. I think they were "always there" though the new Decepticons could easily be forces who never left the planet.

3. Cliffjumper

Cliffjumper welcome back

News Credits:
    Well I believe that the drift thing worked because he was in the background most of the time.
    Next up I thought the newly introduced characters (Kup, Whirl, Alphastrike.) And at the same time shockwave and cheetor dieing was very sad.

4. Rumblestorm

Rumblestorm Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Wow, what a way to cheapen Drift. Just another generic baddie that never got any development.

5. Nope

Nope board man gets paid

News Credits:
    Spoilers contain details from after the four-parter:

Vector Sigma's purpose had previously been established. Megatron wanted to use it to make an army when the war began, and Starscream used it to make the scraplets. The Autobots (and Cheetor) had no need for it since it wasn't necessary to restore Cybertron.
    Vector Sigma - Transformers Wiki

Perceptor
    's blindness remains a plot point throughout the season, so it wasn't just for a one-off pun or anything.

The Drift reveal was lame and pointless. I don't mind that he was always a Decepticon--had it been handled well, I actually would've liked it--but they did virtually nothing with the character until now and its impact was utterly hollow.

The scraplets in part IV were random as hell too.
    At least the stuff with Drift reverberates throughout the season; scraplets are never seen or mentioned again and Megatron is fine when we next see him.

6. SaberPrime

SaberPrime System Pride

Thank you for spoiler tagging that.

Yeah they established what Vector Sigma's purpose was but they never established that anyone but Cheetor could ever manipulate the AllSpark without it. I was always under the impression that both were required to make the AllSpark work. And maybe it's because Cheetor had that ability that the Autobots thought they didn't need Vector Sigma anymore. Still they never talked about this before had so it seemed to be out of no where. Had they talked about it at some point before hand and made it clear they didn't need Vector Sigma it would of worked a lot better.

It just seems like a pretty big decision to make in the spur of the moment without any sort of discussion and agreement made ahead of time.

I also think this is the first time they actually called him Drift. He was called Deadlock in the previous episode where he defected from the Decepticons. Because he was just mainly a background character and didn't really do anything after that his name was never really mentioned in all that time. So while we knew the Decepticon Deadlock changed his name to Drift when he joined the Autobots because of other incarnations of the character... this show pretty much waited till he wasn't even an Autobot anymore to tell us about the name change.

I keep wanting to call him Deadlock because with this betrayal... what is even the point of Drift if he never really was an Autobot?

Also want to mention that the episode Synopsis calls him an "Unlikely traitor" What's unlikely about a former Decepticon who was not so subtlety foreshadowed 2 episodes earlier? Even in that episode he was never called Drift. Hot Rod called him "Red eyes" which is the not subtle foreshadowing I'm referring to.

It's a shame the character was totally waisted in this because I like his design in this series much better than the Samurai from the live action films and RID2015... but the character was portrayed a lot better in RID2015. He was still clearly a former Decepticon named Deadlock but that Drift actually switched sides and had actual regret for his past... we never saw his past like we did briefly with this Deadlock but we did see him as Drift. That's something that was seriously missing from this incarnation.

• Like Like x 2