1. Of note - we are in the process of upgrading the site to use HTTPS / SSL. In that time, you may be logged in/out depending on what area of the site you are looking at. If you want to be logged into the forums, please log in via https://www.tfw2005.com/boards/login/. If you do that, you will not be logged in while looking at the front page. We hope to have this fixed within the next 24 hours or so.
    Dismiss Notice

SPOILERS Bumblebee Movie Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Markatron, Dec 7, 2018.

1. Galvatron2000

Galvatron2000 Active Member

Facebook:
    After so many movies, it's the first time that the Decepticons win a battle...I'm just happy with that :D 

Hopefully, there are extra scenes in the DVD and Blu-ray(i need 10 or 15 minutes more), the movie should have been at least 125 minutes long.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Necromaster

Necromaster FEAR ME MORTALS

News Credits:
    Finally got the opportunity to see this movie yesterday, and I'm glad I did. I love the Iron Giant, and this movie delivers the same feelings and then some.

People have complained in the past about human characters taking up the bulk of the story, but I get the feeling that most of that has to do with the human characters being kind of awful. Not so with Charlie. She's one of the best human protagonists we've had in any Transformers media period, up there with Sari Sumdac, Captain Fanzone, and Agent Fowler. Where Sam was a jackass in all three of his movies and Cade was the same, but more, Charlie was not only likable, but relatable. She had the same basic beats that Sam did in the first film with the whole "boy and his car" deal, but unlike Sam there's a real wholesome connection between her and Bee. She doesn't treat him like a pet, she treats him like a friend. Moreover, her overcoming her personal demons really hit close to home for me. When she was talking about how she'd been struggling to cope with her dad being gone, I couldn't help but think of my dog, who we had to put down on New Year's eve. Needless to say, I got pretty misty-eyed at that scene. Seeing her overcome them in the end was to be expected from this sort of movie, but it spoke to me on a personal level, assuring me that everything was going to be okay in the end. I might be a bit biased as a result, but Hailee Steinfeld knocked it out of the park.

The other human characters weren't bad either. I know some people thought John Cena's acting was flat, but for me he worked really well. Wrestlers are effectively actors by trade, after all, and Cena did a great job as Burns. He got a few laughs out of me by pointing out that Shatter and Dropkick literally call themselves "Decepticons" and that's a gigantic red flag in its own right. Memo was decent as a secondary character, but never quite stuck out to me as much as Charlie, and that's fine. Charlie's family were also a lot of fun. They're effectively just Teen movie archetypes but they're well-written and fit in with the setting as this is effectively a teen movie with giant alien robots in it.

As for Bee himself, this may very well be my favorite incarnation of the character thus far. His wide-eyed, innocent, naive curiosity worked brilliantly, and is a vast improvement over the trigger-happy Murderbee we got in most of the Bay films. The amnesia subplot felt a little forced to me, but I can accept it as a necessity to make most of his story beats while with Charlie (like the egging scene and stumbling around through her house, accidentally destroying everything he touches) work, and this movie did what I would have thought impossible: it made me fall in love with the "speaking through the radio" gimmick all over again. The film still dictates that Bumblebee has to kill the Decepticons he goes up against, but this time around he doesn't just tear through them with his bare hands, he uses whatever the environment provides him with to his advantage. The way he took Dropkick out with the chain was ingenious, as was lodging a missile into Blitzwing's chest earlier. Like the Iron Giant, this film nicely treads the line between "Bumblebee, friendly, curious, cute robot" and "Bumblebee, Autobot soldier", though I could have gone without his eyes turning red in the sequence where he goes apeshit on Sector Seven.

The Decepticons were not the focus of the film, but there's a lot more I can say about any of them than the drooling, slavering monsters that came before. Blitzwing was really only there to die, but at least we knew that he was direct and to the point, not to mention really pissed off, presumably as a result of having to go halfway across the galaxy to track B-127 down. Dropkick and Shatter were great. Shatter was clearly established as the brains of the duo, and Angela Bassett delivered an incredible performance, while Dropkick was more trigger-happy and impatient, leading to a nice dichotomy between the two. Shatter would make the plans, Dropkick just sort of begrudgingly followed along, waiting for the next opportunity to kill something. That being said, Shatter was the more frightening of the two. With Dropkick, what you saw was what you got-- a thug who just wanted to kill things, particularly making humans "pop." Shatter, however, wore the mask of a cool, collected soldier well, but we really got to see what kind of monster she was underneath in the final battle. She was savage and relentless as she pounded away on Bee and tried to murder Charlie. In that sense she reminds me a lot of G1 Onslaught.

The smaller scope and tighter character focus was a breath of fresh air. Like I said, Charlie's subplot really helped carry the movie, and with a movie that was designed to shoot closer to PG, they were able to cut out the dumbest moments of the five films that came before it. What we get as a result is a movie that's delightfully polished. The soundtrack could have been pandering, but it isn't. The entire 80's aesthetic similarly could have been pandering, especially with the tight focus Hasbro has on the decade nowadays, but it's not. It's used to its fullest to create what is effectively a modern John Hughes movie. The 2007 movie was still competently done for what it was, but where Bumblebee revisits its territory, it improves massively upon it in so many ways. This is the most competent Transformers film we've ever gotten or may ever get, and I fully recommend it.

Go see this movie. It's the Iron Giant 2: Electric Boogaloo, and I mean that in the best way possible.

• Like Like x 9
  3. SilverOptimus

SilverOptimus Movie News Monster Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    I watched it twice now; on Friday and Sunday (our opening weekend). Both times, people gave it a standing ovation. I actually cried of joy. Well done, Travis Knight. I'm proud of you.

• Like Like x 4
  4. Go-Faster-Wings

Go-Faster-Wings Well-Known Member

I finally saw this the other night, and I loved every minute of it.
    I connected with Charlie because of the recent death of my grandmother, and I cried a couple times because of the similarities in my feelings and coping with her journey.
    Shatter and Dropkick were among my favorite Cons in the movie verse, they felt like they had so much personality.

My absolute favorite bar none part of the film was when Charlie's step dad said "I stole a pack of cigarettes when I was her age..." and John Cena, without missing a beat, said "yeah we know" and the movie smash cut to the next scene. It had me and my friend laughing so hard throughout the next scene and Its the moment I remember most, freaking comedy gold.

• Like Like x 1
  5. primal789

primal789 Prime

News Credits:
    I cried several times during this movie,tears falling from my 3D glasses.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Music

Music Primetimus Prime

News Credits:
    YouTube:
    We all thought Soundwave's portions looked a little strange when he was first showed off, but seeing his thighs and everything else in frame, he looks great. And man, he's huge. This guy has to be a monster on the battlefield.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  7. UndertakerPrime

UndertakerPrime Your cadaverous palor betrays an aura of forboding

Just saw the movie yesterday. I tend to agree with the general consensus; it’s not a world-beater, but definitely an emotional step up from Bayhem.

Wow, robots that stay still on the screen long enough for me to actually SEE what they look like :D 

Steinfeld does a great job. I’ve been a WWF/E fan since the late 80’s, so it’s a little difficult to judge Cena’s acting objectively after watching his entire WWE career, but I think he does well. Angela Bassett is deliciously evil. The scenes on Cybertron are like a dream for someone you grew up with G1 like me :D 
    It was hilarious hearing The Touch ;) 

@jon3pnt0 , I didn’t even realize you were in the movie because the voice credits went by too fast. Great job with Shockwave and Soundwave. How ironic that someone had to impersonate Corey Burton when he’s a master of impersonations himself :D 

• Like Like x 1
  8. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    I’d like IDW to release a new comic book series that attempts to fix the movie continuity. Basically time travel, alternate continuities and characters lives not being in chronological order.

In Bumblebee’s life, the past from The Last Knight wouldn’t have happened before the Bumblebee movie. Bumblebee goes back in time or something.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Decepticon Miner

Decepticon Miner Brain Microchips

News Credits:
    Shockwave doesn’t even turn into an Earth vehicle in G1 and on Cybertron Soundwave doesn’t turn into a cassette and doesn’t even have the play, pause button on his body.

But sure. They were the worst offenders totally.

• Like Like x 2
  10. LeeleeSTAR

LeeleeSTAR Member

Out of interest why do you want them to fix the continuity? Why can’t this just be the start of a new set of films, like every time they’ve rebooted Spiderman for example. I’m happy for the bay films to just be finished and a new series of films to begin.

• Like Like x 1
  11. shockwave2005

shockwave2005 Well-Known Member

Well said! And what's even better, is that it was a GOOD MOVIE, plain and simple - not just "good, for a Transformers movie".

• Like Like x 1
  12. BIOMEC

BIOMEC Terrorcon, aka "Ratchetman"

I was referring that they looked too G1. But that's my personal opinion.

Edit: I liked the designs of the transformers on Earth more.

• Like Like x 1
  13. BIOMEC

BIOMEC Terrorcon, aka "Ratchetman"

Yes it was a great movie.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Miyaren

Miyaren Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It seems you have forcefully answered your own seemingly rhetorical question to the post above?
    Then why can’t you accept there are lots of bayverse fans who wanansee it continue?

• Like Like x 1
  15. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Saw it at the weekend with my 12 year old son, and we loved it!

The Transformers characters were all handled really well; but - just as importantly - the human characters were interesting/funny/nuanced/ worthwhile as they needed to be. Special mention to the character of Charlie - the loss of her father stuff, and the emotional undertones it brought to the film, were very well handled.

A few random thoughts/observations:

* Loved the 1980s setting and how it was handled - yes, it's pretty easy to do, but Mr T. cereal and the soundtrack really took me back!

* The Cybertron-set scenes played much better than I expected based on the initial pictures/footage. Very well done.

* The two Decepticon protagonists were great

* I liked Charlie's family! It was nice that they didn't follow a "step-dad is really mean" sub-plot just to show how tough Charlie has it and how awesome her absent dad must have been. Ron was a good guy, and it made the whole family dynamic that much more believable and engaging.

* Not that it matters much, but there are too many contradictions (even for the movie series) for this to be in continuity with the other films, right? Either way, I'm content. I watch a film for its own entertainment value, not how well it ties into other things (though, of course, that's icing on the cake). This was a good, well-made film and I am glad I went to see it.

• Like Like x 6
  16. Optimistic Prime

Optimistic Prime Apparently, I'm a pessimistic person, it's a lie.

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Woah, I just realised that Shatter is behind Shockwave, so we have Shatter AND Dropkick there. Soundwave looks huge but how can you tell if he is a big guy?

• Like Like x 2
  17. TFXProtector

TFXProtector Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The Amazing Spider-Man film franchise never got its conclusion and we ended up with Tom Holland. Arguably the best one, yet, and it's been a much better experience thus far.

Same applies to Bumblebee and the Bayverse. It ran its course and they backed it into a corner. It's done. It's dead. It's good for everyone. Even Bay and Lorenzo said TLK was the end and there were no more of that type of movie. It's gone.

• Like Like x 2
  18. LeeleeSTAR

LeeleeSTAR Member

On my second viewing I realised that prime said to the fleeing autobots on cybertron that there are other autobots scattered throughout the universe. This now makes me wonder whether the autobots landing on earth at the end are all those who were seen fleeing cybertron or if any of them are the ones who were already off cybertron.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Music

Music Primetimus Prime

News Credits:
    YouTube:
    It has to be a mix of both. The fleeing Autobots included Arcee, Brawn, Ironhide, Ratchet, and now dead Cliffjumper. To make a total of 7 Autobots, 3 of them will be ones we haven't seen yet. I guess there's a chance one of them like Brawn, for example, died out in space somewhere.

• Like Like x 1
  20. prfctcellrulz

prfctcellrulz NOBODY IS READY FOR ASUKA!!!

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Just thought of something awesome that I think was another missed opportunity:

Gwendoline Christie (Captain Phasma) voicing Shatter