SPOILERS Bumblebee Movie Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Markatron, Dec 7, 2018.

1. Music

Music Primetimus Prime

News Credits:
    YouTube:
    This may be what you're asking for: Bumblebee had the best PostTrak exits among kids under 12 with 93% positive, beating Aquaman‘s 89% and Poppins. He also beat them among general audiences with 85% positive to Poppins 84% and Aquaman‘s 82%. The VW bug also had great support from Hispanic and African-American crowds, respectively at 25% and 14%. West and Southwest were strong, but this Transformers spin-off pretty much played everywhere. 3D accounted for 16% of business. Paramount is pleased.

Source: Deadline weekend film report

• Like Like x 1
  2. Red Goblin

Red Goblin Veteran

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Even after seeing it two times, It never occured to me how Bumblebee must feel when he was getting beaten up and getting kidnapped by the cons. He had no idea what was going on and he was helplessly getting tortured because of it. Even thinking about it makes me feel like crying.

• Like Like x 5
  3. theestampede

theestampede Wandering Artist

News Credits:
    I just came out of the theater and I feel embarrassed. This is the stuff that the general public thinks we, the Transformers fandom, enjoy. Not something with nuance and subtlety, but big explosions and the sleek veneer of the 80s.

This movie was basically the Bay movies, just with more likeable human main characters, reduction of the crazy, and then removed the sleeze. Then they swapped some g1 character models into a generic scifi action scene in an attempt to lure in the older fan base.

It felt like the director and writers had never consumed any Transformers related media and the rest of the story decisions were made by committee.

I keep hearing people say the Transformer characters actually felt like characters, but I don’t see how. Hell even bumblebee, the titular character, wasn’t allowed to be a character, he was basically Charlie’s large eyed pet.

What a shame, at least siege is a good toy line. Hopefully IDW’s next run is good, there really needs to be at least some good Transformers media being made.

• Like Like x 4
  4. raptor22

raptor22 @TFBotShots on IG

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Hello, friend... can you lend a hand... or an arm? *evil laughter
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 27, 2018
    • Like Like x 9
  5. Rumblestorm

Rumblestorm Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    And that's where I stopped reading.

• Like Like x 11
  6. samurai drift

samurai drift Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Again with humans

7. samurai drift

samurai drift Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Charlie was awesome
    I hope she comes in the sequel
    I love those 80s hits
    I love the prank part, bee smashes the car

• Like Like x 3
  8. mcart

mcart I'm not fat, it's Prime Armor

News Credits:
    Well as a lifelong fan of 38 years old I have to say that this IS exactly what I want. A fun, well done movie .
    Maybe the next one can delve a little deeper but I haven't enjoyed a transformers movie this much since. Well, the actual 80s!

Of course, this is just me. I do not speak for you or any other.

• Like Like x 10
  9. theestampede

News Credits:
    Good for you? You don’t have to agree, nor were you ever obligated to read my post in the first place.

If you can’t see how the way the robots are treated was the same, then that’s up to you. I do find the utter fragility of these characters and the director’s willingness to dispose of them without much thought to be frustrating. I don’t need Cliffjumper to be cut in half with one swing or other characters heads to be cut off and knocked across the screen.

These robots are characters, their deaths should matter.

10. inturnmike

inturnmike Well-Known Member

Thank you! I just have a theory and was wondering if it held any water. It seems to me that there are a lot of people here who are like OMG, Bumblebee was soo awesooome.. etc.". There are others who are much more down to Earth about their reactions, who have some fair criticisms about it that knock it down a peg. I am trying to understand if maybe the "younger" crowd, the ones who are newer to Transformers since the Bay movies started, are a lot of the overly excited people, and the "older" crowd are the much more "tempered" viewers? Or, are these people so excited it is NOT Michael Bay directing they are much more willing to overlook the movie's glaring issues?

I really feel this movie was aimed at a more kid-friendly crowd, anyway. I can usually tell if a movie will be good based on the trailers shown prior to viewing in the theater. Meaning, the 5-6 trailers played while I am sitting there, eating popcorn, waiting for the movie I am there to see. The marketing people in Hollywood usually lump in other films directed at the same crowd, along with a few that particular production company has upcoming. The previews before Bumblebee were all terribly underwhelming kids movies.. and also Captain Marvel. So, they knew the people who would likely see Bumblebee were younger kids and/or comic book hero movie people.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Wyldmaxx

Wyldmaxx Well-Known Member

It was good enough to cleanse the palette from the last couple of movies.

• Like Like x 1
  12. mcart

mcart I'm not fat, it's Prime Armor

News Credits:
    I think a lot of the positives are also from the older, more balanced and mature crowd who don't obsessivly over analyse a movie aimed at kids.

I went to see a movie about transforming robots, I was entertained. I'm not now going to dissect every scene, I can enjoy the scent of a perfume but I'm not one who can identify the individual components that make the scent.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Cracka J

Cracka J judas in my mind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    pretty much my thoughts as well. my theater was in laughter at the end and our group of strangers was john cena saluting eachother as we walked out together. GOOD JOB SOLDIERS WE SURVIVED THIS MOVIE.

think some reviewers got some nice padded hasbro checks for positively giving feedback for this movie. same old we are used to with some odd bee/charlie love thing going on it felt like the shape of water meets tf weird parody movie.

the first 5 mins and the cybertron scenes were amazing and then just character building disposable humans for 2 hrs. we've been there and done that and should expect more by now.

• Like Like x 1
  14. theestampede

News Credits:
    His character changes really made no sense. He was not around for any of the Optimus exposition, so he could not possibly know that Bumblebee was a soldier. He was saved by Bumblebee, but this was after Bumblebee blew up most of Cena's military comrades. He didn't even have clear knowledge of what the Decepticons were doing at the radio tower or if Bumblebee was trying to stop them, only what the scientist told him over the radio before being turned to goop.

This is the same kind of issue Knight had in Kubo, where the film doesn't lay down enough information or build a foundation for character growth or decisions (ie how the villiage and Kubo treat the villian after the villian is defeated).

It seems likely to me that this is something that happened in editing. It's likely that Knight may have an explanation in his head for these things, but because he doesn't realize that the audience doesn't have the same information he has, he ends up removing key scenes that would show the character's transition or at least give a foundation for the character growth.

15. Music

Music Primetimus Prime

News Credits:
    YouTube:
    Hey, I liked the movie, where is my Hasbro check?

But really, most people liked the movie because it's genuinely good. No movie is without it's flaws, but the characters were fun and great to see how they interacted and the story had a positive ending. It's strange that you mention it's like the previous films. I wouldn't say this film is anything like the previous Bay films. There is no more bad toilet humor, the Deceptions are colorful and have distinct personalities, more Decepticon screen-time, no more awful low-angle shots of people, more wide shots so you can comprehend the fight sequences, the Autobots had to earn their kill (speaking mostly for Bumblebee here), different score with a new composer, the main human character had an actual arc, the main robot character had an actual arc, no sexualize of the female lead, no MacGuffins, no more overpowered military, and a much shorter runtime. This film probably missed a beat with you, but I wouldn't knock it for being like the previous films. I think you were expecting for a bigger and a more complex film plot-wise, and I get that, but with the awful sequels we've had, it's better we course correct and get all the small details right first—a simple spin-off provides that opportunity. This is step in the right direction and now that we've proved we can have a good Transformers film in general, we can worry about having more complex plot elements.

• Like Like x 5
  16. Jalen Frisby

Jalen Frisby BumblebeeLover

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    Same here, and how much does this movie needs to make again?

• Like Like x 1
  17. Rayzilla Prime

Rayzilla Prime I RIP ALL MY RAZE!

Ah, I figured my mind was making that up. But even so, I still felt that was Ravage on screen up there.

However, I'm a Beast Wars baby. Needed more menacing Russian accent to pander to my childhood. :p 

18. Cracka J

Cracka J judas in my mind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    the music was easily the best part of the movie. and Im not attacking others for liking it, just saying I think the reviews were very positively skewed when this was still not far off from the bay movies.

was it better than the bay entries? maybe? but thats still not saying a whole lot.

and like I said it wasnt just me it was our entire theater. we could have practically all held hands and went out to the bar after to discuss what we all disliked from the film. the place was in laughter during the credit roll and it was honestly really shocking that the consensus in the theater was that bad.

I think everyone went in expecting a better movie from the reviews and ended up with more of the same. Pretty disappointing imo.

19. inturnmike

inturnmike Well-Known Member

Yep...right there w u...no rose colored glasses here...even though I WANTED this movie to be so much better than the Bay movies...it was only a little bit better...on the right track but not there yet.

20. Music

Music Primetimus Prime

News Credits:
    YouTube:
    I had a different reaction from the audience when I watched the film. Kids were talking about the movie and some guy yelled "good movie" loudly when the film ended. Just throwing my different anecdotal experience out there, but I'm not coming after you for not liking it. It's irrational to think people enjoy the same kind of films. Though, I hope the next one is something we can all enjoy!