SPOILERS Bumblebee Movie Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Markatron, Dec 7, 2018.

1. QuintusTheExaltedOne

QuintusTheExaltedOne Creator of the Quintessons and ex-Prime

News Credits:
    When Soundwave, Shockwave, and Starscream are all ready to attack, you can hear the absolute panic in Prime’s voice. That alone establishes how terrifying the decepticons are. They’re being treated like actual threats not props. Also someone got a pretty decent recording of the Cybertron scene:

• Like Like x 5
  2. Fenz

Fenz Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    All seekers in there green purple blue ..only orange absent the second part of cybertron scene when ravage attack also great

3. QuintusTheExaltedOne

QuintusTheExaltedOne Creator of the Quintessons and ex-Prime

News Credits:
    ? I mean the seekers come in all colors I’m not really sure what your point is.

4. Music

Music Primetimus Prime

News Credits:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    With the budget Travis had, he did a fantastic job of portraying Cybertron. Cybertron felt more lively and alive in this than it did in DOTM. I also felt there was just larger population count during the battle, though, part of that may have to do with the colors that were used on the Bots. In DOTM, by having everything gray on gray, the world felt smaller.

• Like Like x 8
  5. gbm

gbm Well-Known Member

After seeing that, and again last night, I now see why that article says "a full CGI movie on Cybertron is due."

• Like Like x 1
  6. RazorX3000

RazorX3000 Cybertronian Monkey

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You okay man? You have a huge grudge and distaste for actors in Hollywood. Did you want to be an actor but didn’t make the cut or something? Idk seems kinda weird that you have so much hatred for some actors who are just doing their job.

• Like Like x 1
  7. RazorX3000

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think you’re forgetting that cybertron was a dead and abandoned planet in DOTM lol

8. DOTM Bumblebee

DOTM Bumblebee Funny Little Man

It's almost impossible to talk about Bumblebee without comparing it to the previous films. Almost every one, I enjoy on the first viewing, and they get gradually get worse with each re-watch. I liked the first one okay, and it always leaves me feeling fairly positive after seeing it, but the problems that would ruin subsequent films are clear. Revenge of the Fallen is awful and contains everything I hate in movies, but at least a handful of characters (Jetfire, Bumblebee, Starscream to a small extent) are enjoyable, and there are good moments. Dark of the Moon is on the okay side of mediocre. I don't think it's worth re-watching, but isn't painful to sit through, and, again, has some good moments. Age of Extinction is just a drag. All the human characters were awful, unlikable people. While you can understand why the Autobots are upset, but they threaten each other and others with death in almost every scene they're in. The only one who kind of gets away with his character unscathed is Bumblebee, and even he's a little too arrogant for his own good. The Last Knight... I liked it as a sendoff for Michael Bay as director of the Transformers movies, I made a friend or two because of it, and I enjoyed moments of it, but I can't in good conscience say that it was a good movie. There was too much going on, too many of the characters were obnoxious or unlikable, and it had all the flaws of a Michael Bay Movie AND all the flaws of a film trying too hard to set up a cinematic universe.

Bumblebee, though...

The protagonists are genuinely likable, and some of the side characters just display such basic human decency that felt so lacking from the previous films. Charlie Watson is an endearing character who not only manages to feel like a real human being, but also a fleshed out, likable protagonist. She's proactive and contributes in ways that it feels like a human could conceivably do when surrounded by giant robots. Her dynamic with Bumblebee is so likable and I could watch the two characters interact for hours and be happy. Bumblebee himself gets to display the best attributes of his character. He's friendly and does his best to help out his new human friend, he's very protective of her, and is courageous, determined, and loyal to his teammates, even when faced with torture and death. He's also a little bit of a clumsy dork, but that's one of his most relatable traits for me. He also acts like a real Autobot, avoiding conflict with humans until they actively harm the friend who has done everything she can to help him throughout the movie. Memo isn't all that interesting or funny, but he's far from annoying and makes for an okay character. Nothing special, but I don't mind him at all. The family feels more realistic than Sam's parents, struggling and failing to relate to their independent daughter. None of them overstay their welcome, and come out of the film all the better for it. Optimus Prime doesn't do a whole lot, but feels a lot more likable. He only kills in the heat of combat, he doesn't declare his own name endlessly, he never says "I'LL KILL YOU!!!", and in his interactions with Bumblebee, he gives off the impression that he genuinely cares for his soldiers and views them as equals. The other Autobots didn't do a lot, but it was so much fun being able to see them on screen and immediately be able to say, "That's Brawn! I see Arcee! Oh yeah, it's Ratchet and Wheeljack! Oh hey, it's Cliffjumper!"

Agent Burns could easily have been a bland, forgettable character as a no-nonsense military(ish) antagonist, but between John Cena's performance and some genuinely funny dialogue, he manages to be a very entertaining character. Shatter and Dropkick are the epitome of what live-action Decepticons should be - distinct and easily identifiable, with defined personalities. I like how Shatter is the smart, subtle one, who knows how to use deceit to her advantage and manipulate others, while Dropkick is the thug who just wants to beat someone up. They feel like fleshed out characters, and come across as genuinely menacing. It's odd that they didn't name them on screen, though. Blitzwing comes across as another great Decepticon thug with a sense of power to him. He does die pretty quick, but he does a lot before he's killed. He obliterates a Sector Seven base, he rips out Bumblebee's vocal processor, and he comes across as a genuine threat.

The story is VERY simple. Friendly robot comes to Earth and loses everything while teenage girl bordering on adulthood struggles to cope with loss of her father and inability to relate to her family. Girl meets friendly robot and they become friends, healing together. Bad robots and government track down good robot, good robot gets captured, girl saves him, big robot fight, and then they go their separate ways at the end. However, the performances, the characters, and the writing make it work. Maybe it's because the other Transformers films just became tiring after a while, but it still feels very fresh and exhilarating. As someone who does enjoy 80's music, I enjoyed the music in the movie, and Hailee Steinfeld's song was pretty enjoyable too.

In summary, this is everything I wanted from a Transformers movie. It would have been enough to focus on my favorite Transformer. It would have been enough to just be decent. But Bumblebee feels so good! For the first time, I can in good conscience recommend a live-action Transformers film. It could be me still being pumped up from seeing it yesterday, and it could be bias because I love Transformers and I love Bumblebee (it probably is), but this might actually be my new favorite movie of all time.

• Like Like x 9
  9. DOTM Bumblebee

DOTM Bumblebee Funny Little Man

Oh hey! You can see Brawn running past Optimus, right before Bumblebee runs on screen! He survived being shot in the shoulder this time! :D 

• Like Like x 1
  10. Temenos

Temenos The Touch

News Credits:
    Still chuckling at Bumblebee following Memo on two wheels after destroying Charlie's house. :D 

• Like Like x 3
  11. Rated X

Rated X Banned

You put way too much thought into a movie. Thats the amount of thought I put into more important things like my job. When I said "edit" I meant everytime the screen changes. That means the camera stopped. How hard can it be to memorize 3 setences before the camera stops ? And I stand by what I said earlier...Ice Cube made a career of acting with no degree. Anyone who can do it with todays camera and edit technology. All the real actors are on broadway where they have no cameras and 20 takes. Acting on camera is fabricated and total bulls**t.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Lazerwave

Lazerwave My Most Prized Treasure

News Credits:
    Thinking about seeing it again tomorrow. If not, then the Grinch. Also, I want to see if they have the Bumblebee Cup Toppers now.

13. BowtiedTrombone

BowtiedTrombone Member

MY NAME IS CLIFFJUMPER

• Like Like x 1
  14. The Ramjet

The Ramjet Get. Out.

This movie was a complete breath of fresh air for me after the pile of turd that was The Last Knight.

As much as I enjoyed the old style of robot designs, it is beautiful to finally see these characters look like their original versions, it's time.

Optimus Prime is an absolute badass in this, despite being in it only briefly. Love how he evacuates all the other Autobots first and stays behind to buy them some time, even though he knows he is horrifically outnumbered and outgunned. The scene on the bridge at the end when Camaro Bee meets up with him was goosebumps worthy. And that design... glorious! And no more screaming about killing or "You die!".

I also really like how the Decepticons purely just want to kill all the Autobots here, no stupid energy sources being searched for, no dumbass macguffins, just find and kill the Autobots and Optimus.

These movies will benefit from having smaller skirmishes, no doomsday scenarios and huge army type battles. Not every single movie has to involve the end of the world.

I really, really hope they don't fuck this up again and build upon what they have here, a good starting point for the future.

Travis Knight gets it, he really does.

• Like Like x 4
  15. Rated X

Rated X Banned

My point is people give film actors way too much credit. Memorizing a few lines on a paper and saying them in front of a camera for 15 seconds a take doesnt take a drgree in rocket science or anything for that matter. This good sctor/bad actor arguement that movie buffs preach is a crock of s**t. Ever watch the blooper reels on the bonus features of a DVD ? That s**t goes on throughout the filming of every movie from start to finish. But yet people put certain actors on a pedastool like if they are worth every penny of the 10 million they get paid per movie. And its even worse with directors. You guys realize its a team that writes the script right ? The director just gives the team his creative vision and reviews their work and approves. Michael Bay doesnt lock himself in a room and write a script like it was his memoirs. All of this "Michael Bay sucks and Travis Knight is a god" is a bunch of bulls**t. Bay basically stepped aside and handed Travis Knight his career with this bumblebee film. Both of them are probally drinking a beer together toasting another TF movie. And you guys make them out like they are rivals and Knight is tearing down the house Bay built. You movie buffs guys...

• Like Like x 2
  16. TFXProtector

TFXProtector TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    One of the most emotional scenes... "You gave me a voice." There was not a dry eye in the house. I could hear people sniffling behind me and kind of laugh/sobbing at that moment. I never thought the day would come that a Transformers movie would genuinely bring me to tears and the rest of the audience, too. It's certainly a kinder-hearted film, by far.

Really? You like watching movies where they don't put any thought into them at all. I have a life beyond movies and Transformers, I have a child to raise, a family to take care of and keep together. My time is precious, I want my entertainment to be worth something when I'm throwing $30.00 in tickets at it. Bumblebee did just that, the Bayverse movies never did. Can't handle the truth? Too bad.

• Like Like x 5
  17. Music

Music Primetimus Prime

News Credits:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I meant compared to the beginning scene in DOTM where it wasn't abandoned quite yet. Now, that brings up a good question, is Cybertron really dead in Bumblebee or the Decepticons have simply overpowered the Autobots and taken over the planet?

You know what, that's actually solid plus for this film. Just kill the Leader of the Autobots and the resistance dies. It's such a simple plot but it can work really well for the sequels, unlike a MacGuffin where it can only last for one film.

• Like Like x 3
  18. RazorX3000

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Uh... okay man.. :confused2 

• Like Like x 2
  19. Temenos

Temenos The Touch

News Credits:
    Lol. Thank GOD.

• Like Like x 2