Spoiler tag discussion

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by agp, Aug 28, 2013.

1. agp

agp Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I posted this here because the issue of spoiler tags that sometimes derails single issue discussion threads. If the mods want to move this feel free.

I want to open a discussion about the use of spoiler tags in discussion threads. We all know the rule is to tag spoilers. I don't agree with this in discussion threads, the purpose of the thread is to discuss the issue and post reaction. If you haven't read the issue you have nothing to add to the thread, so why would you go into it in the first place? The threads are also difficult for those that have read the issue to participate from their iPads or other tablets.

Share your opinions and maybe we will garner enough support to change the rules. Maybe we will find out majority will like the tags.

2. SMOG

SMOG Vocabchampion ArgueTitan

I can't stand them. The fact that I can't easily scroll through the comments, but have to drag my mouse of each and every block, drives me NUTS... and I just kind of end up not bothering to read anything.

But then, if I wait till the week's out, the spoilers are usually still there and there are probably a MILLION posts to catch up on. There's got to be a better solution.

3. Kraken

Kraken Is a vegiesaurus, Lex. Veteran

News Credits:
    Maybe a poll would help. There's a sticky in the movie section that says assume every discussion thread contains spoilers, just keep them out of thread titles. I don't see why the same can't apply here. I understand that it's for the benefit of mods who have to regulate a thread who may not have read the issue, but it's damn annoying on the mobile devices.

4. RatTrap1985

RatTrap1985 Under your rolls of fat

I'd much rather a return of the Spoiler header with a TON of space after. The black boxes are horrible.
    I also can't help but bring up common sense. If you haven't read the issue, don't go into a thread discussing the issue.

5. AdyCarter

AdyCarter Mentalist Conspiracies

The tags annoy the crap out of me and are horrible to deal with on phones/tablets, surely the fact that multiple people (even in this thread) have sigs comprising of images from issues we don't want spoilers from is more of an issue?

If someone goes into a thread discussing an issue, then there will obviously be spoilers for the issue.

6. yakko

yakko IaconHub BossMonkey

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    I don't like them either, but I think as a compromise, require them for the first 4 or 5 pages of posts. By then anyone reading the thread should be sufficiently spoiled.

But really, discussion threads are spoiler filled by definition. Speculation threads are not, and should require the tags.

7. SMOG

Yeah, as it has been explained many times, it's for the mods, who haven't had a chance to read the comics yet, but have to keep an eye on the threads. Personally, I'd say that's just a hazard of being a mod, the good of the many outweighing the good of the one, and like that.

But yeah, maybe something better can be arranged. It's really damn annoying.

zmog

8. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot

News Credits:
    If you don't want spoilers for something don't go into a topic discussing it. Simple as that. I don't want spoilers for Thor 2 and would expect outside of a thread for it people will show restraint. In the thread for it though that's what the topic is for.

If it is indeed tagged for the mods then I'm sorry but that's the job.

It's pants on head ******ed to see spoiler tags in the discussion thread. Obviously don't put spoilers in the title or in other threads but in the main thread it's expected. The Prime episode threads didn't have this concept.

9. agp

agp Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I understand the situation the mods are in. To me that's the only sticking point with the spoiler tags. I agree with you though, that it is a hazard of being a mod. I would like to know the opinions of the comic forums moderators.

10. Kraken

Kraken Is a vegiesaurus, Lex. Veteran

News Credits:
    Surely the mods must talk to each other though? And at least one of them must read the issues on the day of release, it shouldn't be too hard to say 'I haven't read this issue yet, you have, can you keep an eye on that discussion thread until I get my copy tomorrow?' At least one member of staff gets the issues before release to be able to do the reviews.

11. Chantinelle

Chantinelle Well-Known Member

I'd agree with those against their use in issue/episode discussion threads, they're massively inconvenient given how many of us use phones and tablets nowadays and quite frankly, if you haven't read the issue/seen the episode yet why are you even in the thread anyway?

That said, other boards have spoiler tags that are usable on mobile devices, either by clicking to reveal a closed subsection or a simple tap that makes all the CIA redacted black bars bobbins readable, so a software upgrade is probably all that's needed.

12. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    They shouldn't be needed for discussion of the issue the thread is about.

If you go into an episode/issue discussion topic and not expect spoilers but get spoiled, thats your own fault. Also, if you haven't read a particular previous issue and the story is a continuation of that, then that too is your own fault.

But if MTMTE is referencing spoiler events from current issues of RiD, then thats a spoiler. Likewise if the writer says something on twitter about the next issue's events then that too could be considered a spoiler.

Speculation for upcoming issues without anything official backing them up would not be considered a spoiler either since we've all read the same story.

13. The Madness

The Madness News Credits: -13

News Credits:
    I really hope vBulletin updates with some IOS and Android compatibility features soon. MouseOver and hover commands are getting less relevant as time goes by.
    Comic discussions close to the release date are just a sea of black for me, on a mobile device, and they're way too much effort to bother about hitting reply to all posts to read what's probably just a series of emotional reactions to character deaths.
    I don't want to spoil a mod's enjoyment of the comic, especially since they're giving their own time for the service. But I won't really be contributing that much to a discussion that is a labour to read, either.

I agree with others that non-mods are fair game though, and shouldn't enter the discussion if they don't want to be spoiled. Sure, I posted in a thread once to see if anyone could help with a Comixology problem, as I couldn't download the relevant issue, but i acknowledged that the onus was on me to avoid spoilers, so to excuse me if the issue had been posted earlier in the thread.

14. agp

agp Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Have any moderators seen this thread and have an opinion to offer?

15. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Spoilers in issue discussion threads are fine, since that's what the discussion threads are for.

Outside of those threads, they should be tagged at least until the next issue is released.

Spoilers should never be in topic titles.

That's my personal opinion on the matter, goes for cartoon discussion too. Though I always advocate common sense, considering that others might not have read the issues or be waiting on TPBs, etc.

16. MECHADOOM

MECHADOOM I'm Doombot and I know it

Sorry to drag this out further, but this goes directly against what ORIO quoted YOU saying in the locked comic forum rule at the top of this forum:
    http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/trans...rked-spoilers-threads-mark-your-spoilers.html

That's not to say you can't change your opinion. And I'm really not trying to stir up trouble. But I do think there needs to be a clear path moving forward, and if spoilers are now OK in issue discussion threads, that locked rule should be removed or modified to reflect this. It's kinda confusing.

17. SMOG

Yeah... I kind of agree. We should clarify what the ongoing official stance is...

As it is now, people are generally blacking out all their spoilers for the first week after a comic is released (in the discussion thread for that particular issue) in order to comply with the rule... the side effect of this is that those first 20 pages of comments become incredibly inconvenient to browse through.

First world problems, and all that... but still. :) 

zmog

18. UltraMagnus3786

UltraMagnus3786 That's what it is

If the tags are really for the mods, then perhaps a mod that has no interest in the comics can moderate them. They just have to make sure TFW's rules aren't being broken, right? Otherwise, I agree with the above posts. Spoilers shouldn't ever be in titles (as they pop up in the comic forum and someone could inadvertently see them), but discussion threads should be fair game for spoilers.

19. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Yes. Needs revising. The quoted post was my position on the morning I was spoiled on a major character death in Transformers Prime before I had a chance to see the episode.

Episode / issue discussion threads are fine. Outside those, spoilers should be tagged and titles clearly marked to warn those browsing if they are going to click on something that might spoil a future issue.

20. lazerface

lazerface Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't use a tablet or an iphone, so I am indifferent.