Splatoon

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by IGotTheTouch, May 6, 2015.

1. SHINOBI03

SHINOBI03 Well-Known Member

So are we now trading Splatfest themes? The current Europian fest is Cats vs Dogs which is the same first fest of the American fest. Didn't have something original this time?

2. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Toy Designer

Im just hoping that this continues...if we keep getting the same Splatfest themes then eventually we'll get Autobots vs Decepticons! :) 

[/misplaced optimism]

3. SHINOBI03

Makes me wonder if we may also get some the Japanese themes. I want the Boke vs Tsukkomi theme.

4. SHINOBI03

5. grayfox

grayfox Well-Known Member

6. Treadshot A1

Roller and Blaster Nerf: About damn time, especially the Dynamo Rollers. Arowana lockdown with a Dynamo and an E-Litre was bloody stupid.

N-Zap and Dual Squelcher Movement Buff: Good, those things needed it.

Inkzooka Nerf: If they're gonna nerf this, they better make it's hitbox more reliable. That thing is remarkably temperamental about when it counts as a 'hit'.

Aerosprays not touched at all: Not a problem, MG is still amazing in Turf War and RG is still used by people who haven't yet figured out the MG is better. :tongue: 

Kraken hitbox size increase: About damn time, the old hitbox was wonky, unreliable and small. There was no point shooting at a Kraken, I only managed to keep it back once or twice and died every other time. They used to have a huge hitbox for attacks, and a tiny hitbox for vulnerability; glad to see they're trying to fix this one.

Overall I'm liking this.

7. IGotTheTouch

IGotTheTouch Full of Awesomeness

News Credits:
  8. Treadshot A1

Well, had a chance to try out version 2.2.0 of Splatoon. Definitely liking the new balances they added; was really excited at the changes on paper but trying them out felt brilliant.

The Kraken and Rollers being nerfed is definitely a case of "about damn time devs...", but I've definitely enjoyed dodging around Rollers and murdering those bloody Dynamos and Krak-Ons. One thing the Splatoon Tumblr didn't mention (at least, I didn't see it), is apparently the Roller is now limited to only direct front-on hits being 100.0+ damage. Diagonal hits cap at a max of 50.0 damage (not sure if Damage Up affects that, but still it won't OHKO I don't think), and the side is pretty much safe now. One thing I hated before was the stupid rear hitbox of the Roller's fling attack, since for some reason if you stood behind a Roller, the upswing would OHKO you (never did understand the reason for this, since there wouldn't be enough ink from the upswing to hit behind them, at least in the animation). Thank goodness that hitbox has been either removed or greatly reduced; I can rest easy with Run Speed Up/Swim Speed Up equipped, dodging Rollers much more easily.

Blasters being nerfed, I haven't had a chance to face a lot of them yet, but not being OHKO'd from behind a corner is always a good thing. Still hate facing them, but I'm much happier about...well, not dying as much. :D 

Still hate the Bubbler. Kraken's been nerfed, but Bubbler got away untouched. I don't see why that thing is given a free pass, I got splatted along with one of my teammates when we had a guy cornered on Flounder Heights, just because he hit the panic button with the Bubbler. Seriously hate that. There's startup lag on the 'Zooka (Inkling animation for pulling the Inkzooka out; you're still vulnerable and can't shoot during it), the Kraken at least has a larger hitbox and can't shoot (so you can somewhat feasibly swim away from it/hold it off now after the 2.2.0 update), the Bubbler has...um...nothing. I mean, technically E-Litres have a similar panic button with Burst Bombs (with stacked Damage Up main abilities), but at least the lack of startup lag is balanced against them dying along with you (most of the time) since they're still vulnerable to fire during it.

For the record, I main the Aerospray MG (I'm primarily focused on Turf War, for Ranked I'll go with something else). Inkzooka nerf honestly didn't feel too bad for me. Yeah, it's got a longer cooldown, but interestingly, the animation on startup doesn't feel changed at all, so I can still use it as a panic button of sorts, just with only one shot to save myself instead of maybe 2 or 3. Still had no problem knocking people out. I'm still hoping one day they'll implement an Inkzooka-cancel, since I find myself sometimes wanting to fire one shot, then go back to regular spraying, but I highly doubt I'll see that.

On a side note, I don't know if this is update related, but in the last week I've had Spyke roll me 3 pieces of shiny gear (3 of the same subs). Still no pure gear yet (3 of the same sub + same main). I rolled 2 of them before the update, and 1 after the update, using I think 20+ Snails and quite a bit of cash (I have 1600000 left, I think). Considering I spent 40+ Snails on rerolls way back when, I wonder if they've made it easier to roll good gear or if I've simply had a good run with Spyke.

A washing machine modified for battle? Well, I can say I certainly didn't expect that one. Not too excited for a
    Point Sensor/Inkzooka
    combo, especially with the increased cooldown time.

9. SHINOBI03

Pirates vs Ninjas?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Clever.

But... aren't these Splatfests... too fast now? The last one was like what, two weeks ago? At first I liked the fests for being special events, but having them in such short duration of time between each one makes them lose their impact. Special events should not be rushed out like this without giving enough breaks between them. They should take their time to make us look forward to them. By making one shortly after the other makes them a bit of an annoyance to be honest.

10. Tigran

Tigran Well-Known Member

I believe they are supposed to be a once a month thing.

11. grayfox

grayfox Well-Known Member

You'd think they would have done a Halloween thing this Saturday instead of having yet another Splatfest...

12. SHINOBI03

Not really...

Japan (First Splatfest was at June 13th):
    -July 3rd (three weeks)
    -July 25th (three weeks)
    -August 22nd (four weeks)
    -September 12th (three weeks)
    -October 10th (four weeks)
    -October 31st (three weeks)

US (First Splatfest was at July 4th):
    -July 17th (two weeks)
    -August 7th/8th (three weeks)
    -August 28th/29th (three weeks)
    -September 18th/19th (three weeks)
    -October 9th/10th (three weeks)
    -October 30th/31st (three weeks)

PAL (First Splatfest was at July 4th/5th):
    -July 18th/19th (two weeks)
    -August 8th/9th (three weeks)
    -August 29th/30th (three weeks)
    -September 19th/20th (three weeks)
    -October 17th/18th (four weeks)
    -November 7th/8th (three weeks)

As you see, it's not consistent with its dates, and we did have cases of two Splatfests within a single month so my point still stands.

You had the Pirates vs Ninjas, while we are having Zombies vs Ghosts. A bit late, but closer to a Halloween theme than yours.

13. Gaastra

Gaastra Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  14. SHINOBI03

HA! All these previously established IPs of super serious and realistic gun fighting of murder death games and the one to win was the new comer little silly cartoony game about making mess all over the place.

There's still hope in the gaming industry.

• Like Like x 1
  15. excelhedge

excelhedge Overseer of Weird

News Credits:
    Humanity is dead to me. Why the Hell did Burgers win over Pizza!?

16. SHINOBI03

Pineapples on pizza are always delicious!
    [​IMG]

But seriously, who is the decision maker of the PAL Splatfests?! Who is the one who make these weird and lame themes for us?!! Really? Pineapples on pizza?! Can't we have a Doctor Who theme like the Transformers for the American players? The coolest ones we got are Singing vs Dancing and Ghosts vs Zombies but everything else is lamer compared to the US and Japan! Our Splatfests are so lame TVTropes listed us as the Memetic Losers of the game!

17. SHINOBI03

Urgh! I was so occupied I forgot to play the Fest! *Sigh*. Either way, Anti-Pineapple won both the votes and victories. Hawaiian pizza is still one my favorite pizzas ever and nothing would change my mind.

As for you American players, here's your next theme:
    [​IMG]
    Naughty vs Nice
    December 18th. Better watch your Star Wars before you play.

18. SHINOBI03

19. Autoboticon

Autoboticon In like a Bot, out like a Con

I honestly hope Nice wins.....

20. CrypticIllusionist

CrypticIllusionist Well-Known Member

Naughty Boys and Naughty Girls win! Aaawww yeah.

I really like the Mahi-Mahi Resort stage. The changing of the water level just barely saved me from drowning in one incident.